Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emo, The true definition

Dancing Chocobo Emo, The true definition

Im sick of people bashing this term as if its a crime to be one. No one knows wtf emo is anymore. Everyone assumes its dudes wit one long bang, crazy hair, and on myspace 24/7. And a lot seem to think you have to cut to be emo. No. Emo has nothing to do with being sad. Thats just a mood that comes wit it.

Emo stands for emotional, which is what most early fans will say. I guess this is true. But its not screaming at the top of your lungs about your pet dog dying. Its how you play it is what makes a song or band have its genre. You can play metal and have emotional lyrics and still call it metal. If this is so, then how come if an emo band wrote about having sex or something theyre suddenly not emo anymore. Lyrics are half of it but the vocals and the instrumentation counts too.

Emo is not, like I said before, whining at the top of your lungs like a little girl then crying in a wet pillow. Emo started out as a sort of hardcore punk with just more personal lyrics. Thats not too bad now is it? Well in the mid 90's, it became more of an indie thing while still having its punk origins. But if you listen to old emo classics now you wouldnt hear none of that in there. What you would hear is not what you call "punk" nowadays or even indie. Its just plain emo.

Now some bands..

Fall out Boy, My chemical Romance, Panic! At the disco, Hawthorne Heights, Coheed And Cambria, From First To Last, The Used, & Underoath.

NOT EMO

Know whats real emo?

Christie Front Drive, The Get Up Kids, The Juliana Theory, Jimmy Eat World, Mineral, The Promise Ring, Saves The Day, Sunny Day Real Estate, & Texas Is The Reason.

Btw, Rites Of Spring started emo, which like I said before, was just a punk band that had more personal lyrics then the rest of the bands at the time. Compare them wit the rest of the bands I listed and theyre nothing like em. The other bands are more of the indie-fused emo, which is just pure, 120% emo.

And stop getting mixed up wit those stupid scene kids on myspace. They got no lives and are a bunch of fags. Honestly. Go get a music genre to bond wit assholes before you steal emo out of its territory.

And back to the "cutting" thing. Remember, you dont got to cut to be emo. If you cut and listen to metal..Guess what? YOURE STILL A METAL HEAD. So quit being stupid. If you listen to emo music and dont cut, youre still emo. Obviously, right?

If only the mullet would come back and destroy all these labels, we wouldn't have to muse over such matters.

The saga continues. :O_O:
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Quote Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
    Emo stands for emotional
    Truly?!
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Perhaps not classing all bands music in one as being part of the Emotional Punk genre.

I know for a fact that Fall Out Boy has written 3 Emotional songs within there albums.

and Jimmy Eat World has a couple of happy songs :333

Yeah but thats the thing. Emotional doesnt always have to be sad. Yes JEW have written happy stuff but theyre still emo. It all depends on instrumentation and the vocals before you listne to the lyrics. FOB and emo are never supposed to be used in the same sentence. Theyre not emo. Even if they've written sad stuff before, theyre not emo. And stop gettting the concept that if a song is sad, it is emo. No its not. If its a sad pop song, then what is it? Still pop right?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I was reading this thread and a google ad was by the banner which said

Emo
    buy womens clothing on ebay

Thus we have our definition

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Actually, it's short for emotive, not emotional. Good try though.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

so emo=bands that aren't as popular as other emo bands?

Camoflauge! Camoflauge! Shine On...'s Avatar

WHERE;S MOSS ICON!?
    Sig please.

I'll take this time to say Jimmy Eat World Kicks ass.

I'm still waiting for Cap'n Jazz to be mentioned.

It's all emo to me, late 80's or third wave bubblegum pop emo. It's still emo, it just changed. The first wave bands are just the only emo bands that aren't blatant rip-offs of each other and generally unambitious crap made to make money.

P.S. Seriously, Cap'n Jazz.
    Last edited by Ryth; 06-25-2007 at 02:28 AM.

People still care about the whole emo thing?

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

Whoa, whoa! FOB isnt emo? Whoa....panic at the disco? (no emo) ! when did this epidimic start?

I miss kinje longaway :[ Eiko Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oasis View Post

And stop getting mixed up wit those stupid scene kids on myspace. They got no lives and are a bunch of fags.
    I was sp in love with your post until I saw you write that. This forum doesn't tolerate derogatory language like that. Gay is OK. Quite a few people here are gay. So if you have a problem with "fags" you don't belong here.

Fat kids are harder to Kidnap.