Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aeris/Aerith

Kingdom Hearts is a different game. They named her Aerith in that because fans kept callin her that because its her Japanese name.

It wasnt a "Translation error" that named her Aeris. Her name is Aeris in FFVII.

You guys just cant seem to get over that.

it is all said in the attachment
    caution contains cussin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by grim07 View Post
    Kingdom Hearts is a different game. They named her Aerith in that because fans kept callin her that because its her Japanese name.

It wasnt a "Translation error" that named her Aeris. Her name is Aeris in FFVII.

It was. Are you going to tell me Tifa is supposed to be Tifa Lockheart?

The spoon is too big! Firo Volondé's Avatar

Her Japanese name is her real name, because she was designed by some Japanese guy.

It wasnt a "Translation error" that named her Aeris.
    Correct. It was a localisation error.

Her name is Aerith in FFVII.
    Phixed.

Et tu, grim.
    This is a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Alright, so Aeris and Aerith? Well, it was Aeris in my original copy (PAL) and I usually keep it that way, but then when it came to Kingdom Hearts it was Aerith, which I can't change, but oh well. Although I was confused at first, I quickly realized that it does not matter. The fact that it's two letters different doesn't make a difference to the story, gameplay, or overall effect in any way. Also, if you don't like this extremely insignificant error, change it. If you don't like the characters' names, the option is given to you to change them. Take this opportunity. You think it's Aeris? Leave it. You think it's Aerith? Make the switch. Doesn't change a smurfing thing. (Apart from the name.)
    You seem to be seeing a different argument. No one is saying you can't call her Aeris. Just don't try and claim that's her official name.

Quote Originally Posted by dragontamer View Post
    Why are we arguing about a name?!?
    My copy of PAL (British) has her default name as Aeris, which is okay, but i personally prefer Aerith:p .

this doesn't add much to the argument either way, and i don't care.
    I'm supporting Aerith.:kaoyatta:

BTW, Why not post a poll on the subject; the default name for the dark haired girl in pink? Aeris or Aerith.
    Because a poll is a question of the popularity of a thing, not the correctness.

And what do you base this nugget of wisdom on? Nothing? Thought so.

Yes it was. Well, localization, but you get the idea. But then again, it's not the prime source. It's why "Sabin" is not the official name of Mash, and "Terra" is not the official name of Tina. No one says you can't call them that, but they are changes made in translation. They are not valid as compared to the prime source.

Her name is Aeris in FFVII.
    Yes. But her official name is Aerith, and continues to be so in each subsequent release.

You can't seem to get over the fact that her name being mistranslated doesn't make it her official name.

Quote Originally Posted by Namelessfengir View Post
    caution contains cussin
    No, the Japanese don't have a sound for 'th'. They use 'su' when in English 'th' would be used instead. They also don't have a sound for an M that doesn't have a vowel following it. So, if an anime had an American named Sam Smith, would you insist his name was Samu Sumisu because his coworkers can't pronounce his name, despite what his creators said about it?

Okay. Here's what I see. An argument that's never going to end.

There were games and movies released in English with both of those names as the default. As long as people care, this argument is never going to end. It will just keep going on till the end of time. Why are people so sensitive about the name of a character in a video game? It really doesn't matter, people. If you want to call her Aeris, do it. You prefer Aerith? That's also your perogative. It matters not. She can have an official name, it still doesn't matter as there have been official releases of games with both of these names as her default. Translation error or intentional change? Still doesn't matter. The real question is not which of these names is correct, but why do people care so much?
    Last edited by The Ceej; 07-11-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Another Typo.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

By all accounts, it wasn't a translation "error" that made her Aeris in the English translation. It was a change, but not one made by mistake. Kind of like how the Last Elixir became Megalixir, Mash became Sabin, and so forth.
    Aerith is still her original name, though, and since since subsequent English-language products call her Aerith too, then that's arguably her official English name now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryushikaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Alright, so Aeris and Aerith? Well, it was Aeris in my original copy (PAL) and I usually keep it that way, but then when it came to Kingdom Hearts it was Aerith, which I can't change, but oh well. Although I was confused at first, I quickly realized that it does not matter. The fact that it's two letters different doesn't make a difference to the story, gameplay, or overall effect in any way. Also, if you don't like this extremely insignificant error, change it. If you don't like the characters' names, the option is given to you to change them. Take this opportunity. You think it's Aeris? Leave it. You think it's Aerith? Make the switch. Doesn't change a smurfing thing. (Apart from the name.)
    You seem to be seeing a different argument. No one is saying you can't call her Aeris. Just don't try and claim that's her official name.

Quote Originally Posted by dragontamer View Post
    Why are we arguing about a name?!?
    My copy of PAL (British) has her default name as Aeris, which is okay, but i personally prefer Aerith .

this doesn't add much to the argument either way, and i don't care.
    I'm supporting Aerith.:kaoyatta:

BTW, Why not post a poll on the subject; the default name for the dark haired girl in pink? Aeris or Aerith.
    Because a poll is a question of the popularity of a thing, not the correctness.

And what do you base this nugget of wisdom on? Nothing? Thought so.

Yes it was. Well, localization, but you get the idea. But then again, it's not the prime source. It's why "Sabin" is not the official name of Mash, and "Terra" is not the official name of Tina. No one says you can't call them that, but they are changes made in translation. They are not valid as compared to the prime source.

Her name is Aeris in FFVII.
    Yes. But her official name is Aerith, and continues to be so in each subsequent release.

You can't seem to get over the fact that her name being mistranslated doesn't make it her official name.

Quote Originally Posted by Namelessfengir View Post
    caution contains cussin
    No, the Japanese don't have a sound for 'th'. They use 'su' when in English 'th' would be used instead. They also don't have a sound for an M that doesn't have a vowel following it. So, if an anime had an American named Sam Smith, would you insist his name was Samu Sumisu because his coworkers can't pronounce his name, despite what his creators said about it?
    Aerith Gainsborough - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its not an error.

In future games, her name is Aerith. In Final Fantasy VII, its Aeris. Plain and simple as day. They wouldnt mess up something as important as A NAME. Plus, Aerith just sounds stupid.

You're trying to Cite Wikipedia to bolster your argument? Wow. You are desperate.

In future games, her name is Aerith. In Final Fantasy VII, its Aeris.
    Only in the US version, and even then not in all of them. Aeris is a one off change that has since been corrected.

Plain and simple as day. They wouldnt mess up something as important as A NAME.
    Yes, they would. They've done it before. FF6 was full of mangled or changed names. They got Sierra's name wrong, and mispelled Tifa's surname, for two examples.
    Besides, prime source trumps secondary. Tetsuya is prime. He writes as Aerith.
    Oh yeah, and you're mixing metaphors.
    Plus, Aerith just sounds stupid.
    Subjective and irrelevant. I think Aerith sounds better than Aeris, personally.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

[They got Sierra's name wrong
    I wouldn't call that an 'error', per se. 'Sierra' and 'Shera' are probably virtually indistinguishable in Japanese, so 'Shera' is likely a valid rendering of the word.
    As for FFVI - those were deliberate changes, too, rather than errors. 'Terra' instead of 'Tina', for example, is frequently explained: it simply sounds more exotic, more suited to a fantasy character. 'Sabin' instead of 'Mash' is pure aesthetics; while you can argue that 'Aerith' is no more stupid than 'Aeris', there's no denying that 'Mash' is simply a stupid name in English.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Kinda like Cloud 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I wouldn't call that an 'error', per se. 'Sierra' and 'Shera' are probably virtually indistinguishable in Japanese, so 'Shera' is likely a valid rendering of the word.
    Actually, there's an easy distinction Sierra has a large 'e' whereas Shera has a small 'e' to denote that you drop the 'i' of Shi and simply state She as opposed to Shie.

As for FFVI - those were deliberate changes, too, rather than errors. 'Terra' instead of 'Tina', for example, is frequently explained: it simply sounds more exotic, more suited to a fantasy character. 'Sabin' instead of 'Mash' is pure aesthetics; while you can argue that 'Aerith' is no more stupid than 'Aeris', there's no denying that 'Mash' is simply a stupid name in English.
    I'm not saying that they are errors. I'm saying they are mistranslations. Deliberate ones, but mistranslations nontheless.
    As for Mash... Eh, I don't think it's that dumb, but I know people with some very esoteric names.
    In any case, the 'FF3' names are still not the official names just as 'FF3' is not the official name of the game. The prime source wins.

Actually, there's an easy distinction Sierra has a large 'e' whereas Shera has a small 'e' to denote that you drop the 'i' of Shi and simply state She as opposed to Shie.

I'm not saying that they are errors. I'm saying they are mistranslations. Deliberate ones, but mistranslations nontheless.
    As for Mash... Eh, I don't think it's that dumb, but I know people with some very esoteric names.
    In any case, the 'FF3' names are still not the official names just as 'FF3' is not the official name of the game. The prime source wins.
    lol, ok buddy. you can run around and call all the characters by their "japanese" names, while the rest of us who live in the United States will call them by what their names where here.

lol, ok buddy. you can run around and call all the characters by their real names, while I run around like a n00b calling her Aeris and not accepting that her real name is Aerith.
    Fixed.

I don't particularly care for her, so I call her Aeris. The way I saw it in the game I played.
    If she was more important to me I would probably call her the name she was originally called.
    I guess it's a matter of personal preference, and that's all it will ever be. Arguing about it is pointless.