Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Aeris/Aerith

Quote Originally Posted by f f freak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grim07 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryushikaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    [They got Sierra's name wrong
    I wouldn't call that an 'error', per se. 'Sierra' and 'Shera' are probably virtually indistinguishable in Japanese, so 'Shera' is likely a valid rendering of the word.
    Actually, there's an easy distinction Sierra has a large 'e' whereas Shera has a small 'e' to denote that you drop the 'i' of Shi and simply state She as opposed to Shie.

As for FFVI - those were deliberate changes, too, rather than errors. 'Terra' instead of 'Tina', for example, is frequently explained: it simply sounds more exotic, more suited to a fantasy character. 'Sabin' instead of 'Mash' is pure aesthetics; while you can argue that 'Aerith' is no more stupid than 'Aeris', there's no denying that 'Mash' is simply a stupid name in English.
    I'm not saying that they are errors. I'm saying they are mistranslations. Deliberate ones, but mistranslations nontheless.
    As for Mash... Eh, I don't think it's that dumb, but I know people with some very esoteric names.
    In any case, the 'FF3' names are still not the official names just as 'FF3' is not the official name of the game. The prime source wins.
    lol, ok buddy. you can run around and call all the characters by their real names, while I run around like a n00b calling her Aeris and not accepting that her real name is Aerith.
    Fixed.
    lol, changing my post? Wow. I guess I must be a so called "noob" because I call her what her name is in the game. Whatever you wanna call her is fine. Just remember, that everytime you turn on FFVII, start a new game, and it comes up as default "Aeris" that I was right. Everytime you look at that part of the game, I hope you think of me. Because there is no way in this world that you can change that default name to make it say "Aerith." It says "Aeris" as plain as day.

Just say that word aloud. "Aerith". It sounds like you have a lisp. Its stupid. Compared to "Aeris."

I wouldn't call that an 'error', per se. 'Sierra' and 'Shera' are probably virtually indistinguishable in Japanese, so 'Shera' is likely a valid rendering of the word.
    Actually, there's an easy distinction Sierra has a large 'e' whereas Shera has a small 'e' to denote that you drop the 'i' of Shi and simply state She as opposed to Shie.

As for FFVI - those were deliberate changes, too, rather than errors. 'Terra' instead of 'Tina', for example, is frequently explained: it simply sounds more exotic, more suited to a fantasy character. 'Sabin' instead of 'Mash' is pure aesthetics; while you can argue that 'Aerith' is no more stupid than 'Aeris', there's no denying that 'Mash' is simply a stupid name in English.
    I'm not saying that they are errors. I'm saying they are mistranslations. Deliberate ones, but mistranslations nontheless.
    As for Mash... Eh, I don't think it's that dumb, but I know people with some very esoteric names.
    In any case, the 'FF3' names are still not the official names just as 'FF3' is not the official name of the game. The prime source wins.
    lol, ok buddy. you can run around and call all the characters by their real names, while I run around like a n00b calling her Aeris and not accepting that her real name is Aerith.
    Fixed.
    lol, changing my post? Wow. I guess I must be a so called "noob" because I call her what her name is in the game. Whatever you wanna call her is fine. Just remember, that everytime you turn on FFVII, start a new game, and it comes up as default "Aeris" that I was right. Everytime you look at that part of the game, I hope you think of me. Because there is no way in this world that you can change that default name to make it say "Aerith." It says "Aeris" as plain as day.

Just say that word aloud. "Aerith". It sounds like you have a lisp. Its stupid. Compared to "Aeris."
    That's true

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bear in mind that the reason most people think that it has a lisp is because they're used to saying 'Aeris'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Bear in mind that the reason most people think that it has a lisp is because they're used to saying 'Aeris'.

Because thats her name in the English version of FFVII. I dont see how people can say "Nu uh, its Aerith! Her name is Aerith!" When its right there when you turn the damn game on.

Also, in english, when you say "Aerith" you pronounce the "th". "Th" doesnt make an "s" sound in our language.

Fixed.

I called you a noob because you don't recognise that Aerith is her official name. I personally call her Aeris because I think it sounds better but at least I recognise that her official name is Aerith. If you want to go against the creator's words then fine even more people will call you a noob.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by grim07
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X

Because thats her name in the English version of FFVII. I dont see how people can say "Nu uh, its Aerith! Her name is Aerith!" When its right there when you turn the damn game on.

Also, in english, when you say "Aerith" you pronounce the "th". "Th" doesnt make an "s" sound in our language.
    ...I'm well aware of that. I think you're missing the point I was trying to make about people pronouncing it with a lisp.

And I have no idea what you're trying to argue in your second sentence there. I know how to pronounce English.

Fixed.

I called you a noob because you don't recognise that Aerith is her official name. I personally call her Aeris because I think it sounds better but at least I recognise that her official name is Aerith. If you want to go against the creator's words then fine even more people will call you a noob.

Seems like your going against the english translators. The creators are japanese. They made a japanese version and an english version. Her name in Japan is Aerith. Her name in America is Aeris.

Honestly, is it that hard?

And the the other guy, what I was getting at in my second sentence was that its incorrect english to pronounce her name "Aerith" with an "s" sound, it would have to sound like a lisp. Which in Japan, it doesnt, it sounds like "Aeris". Which is why they spelled it "Aeris" in America. So all you little "hardcore FF fans" running around callin her Aerith look mighty stupid to the game creators and Japanese folk.

Because unless your japanese, or speak the language, "Aerith" sounds retarded and is an incorrect pronunciation of her name. Its PRONOUNCED Aeris. The way its spelled here, in America.

You guys get it now? Did I bust your little "hardcore fan" bubble?

Seems like your going against the english translators. The creators are japanese. They made a japanese version and an english version. Her name in Japan is Aerith. Her name in America is Aeris.
    No. Her name in the Prime source is Aerith. Her name in a SINGLE GAME that was NOT translated by the creators has her name as Aeris, and every other game since has her name as Aerith.

Let's take a look at the Aeris V Aerith in English, shall we?
    Aeris- FF7e, FFTe
    Aerith- FF7e (limited number), FF7AC, FF7DoC, FF7CC, KH, KH2, The Japanese version of every single one of those games, The creator's own concept art.

Yes. Because you're trying to appeal to the authority of translators with a known flawed translation.

And the the other guy, what I was getting at in my second sentence was that its incorrect english to pronounce her name "Aerith" with an "s" sound, it would have to sound like a lisp.
    Yes, it is incorrect English to pronounce a name that ends in 'th' with an 's' sound And saying 'th' as 's' is a lisp, so thank you for admitting that you are in the wrong.

Which in Japan, it doesnt, it sounds like "Aeris". Which is why they spelled it "Aeris" in America.
    In Japan, they don't have certain sounds, so they make do with what they do. Among these includes using 'su' to make up for their lack of 'th'

So all you little "hardcore FF fans" running around callin her Aerith look mighty stupid to the game creators and Japanese folk.
    If you want to take this tack, Grim, then it's Kuraudo, Yoohie, Sephiros, Vinchiento, Barreto, Redo Saateen, Shido, etc. etc.

I expect you to follow suit shortly.
    BTW, please don't pull :skull::skull::skull::skull: like that argument. As a speaker, your stupid offends me.

Because unless your japanese,
    That's "You're" as in You are. Your indicates the possesive.

or speak the language, "Aerith" sounds retarded
    That is solely your opinion.

and is an incorrect pronunciation of her name. Its PRONOUNCED Aeris. The way its spelled here, in America.
    Actually, it's pronounced Aerisu, just as Sephiroth is Sephirosu. Oh, wait, did I just shatter your argument by pointing out that the translation is inconsistent based on your point? I think I did.

What hardcore fan bubble? I find it's the more hardcore Aerith fans who refuse to recognize her official name and insist on calling her by the name she was called in a grand total of the known to be flawed English translation of FF7 and two cameos. Y'know, as opposed to every single prime source and an overwhelming number of other translated games.

No. Her name in the Prime source is Aerith. Her name in a SINGLE GAME that was NOT translated by the creators has her name as Aeris, and every other game since has her name as Aerith.

Aeris- FF7e, FFTe
    Aerith- FF7e (limited number), FF7AC, FF7DoC, FF7CC, KH, KH2, The Japanese version of every single one of those games, The creator's own concept art.

Yes. Because you're trying to appeal to the authority of translators with a known flawed translation.

And the the other guy, what I was getting at in my second sentence was that its incorrect english to pronounce her name "Aerith" with an "s" sound, it would have to sound like a lisp.
    Yes, it is incorrect English to pronounce a name that ends in 'th' with an 's' sound And saying 'th' as 's' is a lisp, so thank you for admitting that you are in the wrong.

Which in Japan, it doesnt, it sounds like "Aeris". Which is why they spelled it "Aeris" in America.
    In Japan, they don't have certain sounds, so they make do with what they do. Among these includes using 'su' to make up for their lack of 'th'

So all you little "hardcore FF fans" running around callin her Aerith look mighty stupid to the game creators and Japanese folk.
    If you want to take this tack, Grim, then it's Kuraudo, Yoohie, Sephiros, Vinchiento, Barreto, Redo Saateen, Shido, etc. etc.

I expect you to follow suit shortly.
    BTW, please don't pull like that argument. As a speaker, your stupid offends me.

Because unless your japanese,
    That's "You're" as in You are. Your indicates the possesive.

or speak the language, "Aerith" sounds retarded
    That is solely your opinion.

and is an incorrect pronunciation of her name. Its PRONOUNCED Aeris. The way its spelled here, in America.
    Actually, it's pronounced Aerisu, just as Sephiroth is Sephirosu. Oh, wait, did I just shatter your argument by pointing out that the translation is inconsistent based on your point? I think I did.

What hardcore fan bubble? I find it's the more hardcore Aerith fans who refuse to recognize her official name and insist on calling her by the name she was called in a grand total of the known to be flawed English translation of FF7 and two cameos. Y'know, as opposed to every single prime source and an overwhelming number of other translated games.
    Whatever buddy. Just remember, it wasnt a "flawed" translation. We already proved that.

Also remember that whatever her "prime source" is, its not in the American version of FFVII. So I refer to her as Aeris when Im talking about it, as I dont own the japanese version.

Like I said before, you cant change what the default name is in the game.

And I also call bull when you say a "limited" number of FFVII has her name as Aeris, while the rest has "Aerith". I've owned and played about a total of 20 copies, and they all say "Aeris." I need some proof.

I'll put this in caps.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT OTHER GAMES. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FINAL FANTASY VII RELEASED IN THE UNITED STATES FOR THE SONY PLAYSTATION. OKAY?

And I also call bull when you say a "limited" number of FFVII has her name as Aeris, while the rest has "Aerith". I've owned and played about a total of 20 copies, and they all say "Aeris." I need some proof.
    I think you misread Ryu's statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryushikaze
    Aeris- FF7e, FFTe
    He was saying that a limited number of English FFVII games have her name as Aerith.

I'll put this in caps.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT OTHER GAMES. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FINAL FANTASY VII RELEASED IN THE UNITED STATES FOR THE SONY PLAYSTATION. OKAY?
    Last I checked this discussion was first about why the character was sometimes called Aerith, then turned into whether Aerith or Aeris was correct. As far as I can tell pretty much everyone is still talking about the character as a whole here, not her appearance in a specific game. Well, pretty much everyone except you.
    Last edited by Rase; 07-16-2007 at 06:14 AM.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

And that's that.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles