Lucky Star FTW.
    !

How I forget? *Seppuku*

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Genshiken is an excellent series, and from what little I saw of BECK it looked intriguing.

Also, for a comedic anime, check out Hayate no Gotoku. Pretty awesome.

Of the ones not listed on that page: Trigun, Excel Saga and Hellsing Ultimate.

Do not confuse Hellsing Ultimate with the Hellsing anime mind you. Hellsing ultimate is the OVA.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta. Great show. I think it trumps the original in so many ways and had a better over all final battle and ending. Really shows the horrors of war on a scale that the original never touched.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I've seen a couple of episodes of RahXephon, it's pretty cool so far...

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta. Great show. I think it trumps the original in so many ways and had a better over all final battle and ending. Really shows the horrors of war on a scale that the original never touched.
    You think so? I loved Zeta, as well, but I didn't think it measured up to the original. I thought the development of the Newtype storyline in the movie trilogy was really well done, and I thought it had a much better cast of characters.

Obviously Char comes back for Zeta, as well as quite a few others, but I just didn't think Kamille was as good a protagonist, nor was the general supporting cast as good as the White Base's crew.

I really need to see the Zeta movies, though. I think the more compact format (even if it's like, 7 or 8 hours combined, which is pretty lengthy) does a better job of telling a cohesive story than a 40 or 50 episode show. It improved the original considerably (I think something like 80% of the final movie was new animation, completely refining the storyline) and I bet Zeta has some similar changes.

As for ones from this season, Hayate no Gotoku, Lucky Star, Darker than BLACK, The Skullman Nagasarete Airantou, iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia, Bokurano, Claymore, Dennou Coil, the Devil May Cry anime, Kaze no Stigma, Lovely Complex, and Shining Tears x Wind, granted that is almost half of this season, but it's some of the better ones.

Blog Entries

and how was I missing Ghost in the Shell. All of it.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Azar, edczxvbnm
    Gundam Zeta Movies
    I saw the Zeta movies a little earlier this year. I'd never seen the original show so I can't really compare plot points. I actually got into Gundam pretty late. I saw Wing when it was on Cartoon Network and that was about it. It's only been in the last 2 years or so when I started seeking out the older Gundam stuff, and I came across the Zeta movies on the 'net. (I also got Gundam Musou on PS3 when it came out...only to find out a month later it'll be coming in English AND on 360 as Dynasty Warriors Gundam. Meh. PS3 owners-there's a demo of this game on the PSN right now.)

The whole 'new footage' thing is pretty jarring at first, especially in the first movie where most of it is old stuff. By the last movie, most of it is new, so it balances out. It is pretty darn good.

Since we're talking about shows this season as well, I will list my favourite shows (which are consequently the best.)
    Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (GAINAX is back folks)
    Dennou Coil (kid's show, but surprisingly deep, creative and otherwise awesome)
    Seirei no Moribito (Great story, beautiful visuals, beautiful music)

If you could only watch 3 top quality shows, those would be it. I'm watching pretty much everything new right now, and those three stand out. Darker Than Black's 2-episode story arcs keep it out of the top right now, but it looks like things are getting deeper for that show.

Also, Gintama.