Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a book similar to Final Fantasy!

Default Looking for a book similar to Final Fantasy!

Im trying to find a good sci-fi/fantasy book, that is similiar to a Final Fantasy game. Like, someone goes on an adventure to win his lover over/save the world, and fights monsters on the way, or what not, and fights the boss at the end. you know, something that has a good story like a good RPG game, or like a Final Fantasy game. help me out!

C'mon C'mon

But then if I do that, I'm the writer, not you.

what? im trying to see if anyone has a suggestion for a book that is similiar to Final Fantasy stories...

C'mon C'mon

Oh yeah, I read "find" as "write".

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

*moves to The Lounge*

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Sword of Shannara series by Terry Brooks
    Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
    Dune series by Frank Herbert
    Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
    The Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R Tolkien (NO smurfING WAI LAWL LAWL)
    Lord of the Isles by David Drake

No, not all of these have a science-fiction twist to them, but are all well-worth your read.

Final Fantasy, for the most part, is very generic fantasy. You shouldn't have any problem finding what you're looking for -- any random book you may pick up in the fantasy section should suit the bill.

You might want to take a look into the Dragonlance or the Forgotten Realms series. I haven't read too much of them, myself, but they sound like they could be exactly what you're looking for.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse
    Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
    I'm into book 10 out of 12 and I highly recommend this series, if you don't mind a lot of detail and long, drawn out side stories and such (they're usually around 600-700 pages long for the entire book, not counting the glossary in the back.) Only 11 books have been published, by the way, but book 12 (which is coming soon!) will be his final installment in the series, as Mr. Jordan has been diagnosed with amyloidosis. If you want to read up on the books before purchase, go here: The Wheel of Time Wikipedia Page. Hope you like it =]

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Most of Mercedes Lackey's stuff is decent. Not the highest lexile stuff, but a good light read. And some of it does have science fiction mixed in.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

The A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. The books are in no way like a Final Fantasy game (although the plot of Tactics has similar concepts, specifically politics), but they put any other fantasy series to shame. I now find it impossible to read other fantasy series without comparing them to ASoIaF, which tends to be a problem as they never measure up.

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Look for Sean Rean's Krystal*Light when it releases in April of 2008

Yellow Winged Angel

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    The A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. The books are in no way like a Final Fantasy game (although the plot of Tactics has similar concepts, specifically politics), but they put any other fantasy series to shame. I now find it impossible to read other fantasy series without comparing them to ASoIaF, which tends to be a problem as they never measure up.
    They're also much more mature than most fantasy novels tend to be. But that's not saying they're bad. And I thought they were kinda drawn out, but then again, I'm only halfway through the second book.

Get any book in the Dragonlance series. The "New Adventure" subseries I found quite FFish, try that.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Actually, now that you mention Tactics, I have to admit that I always thought FFXII had a sort of George RR Martin/Robin Hobb feel to it. It's definitely Hobbtin on a bright happy day, but it does have a similar vibe.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee View Post
    Actually, now that you mention Tactics, I have to admit that I always thought FFXII had a sort of George RR Martin/Robin Hobb feel to it. It's definitely Hobbtin on a bright happy day, but it does have a similar vibe.
    Tactics and XII share the same writer, so it's unsurprising that they both share similarities to other books of the same style.

Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms books are easily accessible and pretty much right up your alley as far as what you want.