Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformers: The Movie. Old and New.

Default Transformers: The Movie. Old and New.

Okay, like a giant planet eating demi god, the new movie is looming over the horizen. For many of the old school crowd, this is not a good thing as many of the redesigns have several older fans coughing up blood and boycotting this film.

I'm likely to go see this tomarrow night. I'll give as full and spoiler free a report as I can when I get back. I've read the comic adaption, and it seems like the story is serviceable and functional enough that given some quality action sequences, and some good acting, and fangasms that the original voice actor for optimus prime peter cullen is reprising his role, it should actually manage to entertain. My hopes for it are pretty high, despite starscream looking like what happens when an F-22 and a primate engage in an orgy, and megatron looking like the majority of his metallic structure is comprised of black licorice.

I'm not sure if it will replace the rosy memories I have of the first movie. Younger fans just won't understand how awesome or shocking it felt to see the main hero engage in a brutal, no holds barred fight to the finish with his rival. AKA optimus prime vs megatron. Hell I also love half the lines from the film such as...

Megatron: Nobody summons megatron
    Unicron: Then it pleases me to be the first

Megatron: I have already crushed Optimus Prime with my bare hands
    Unicron: You Exaggerate.
    Megatron: The point is he's dead, and the matrix died with him.
    Unicron: No, the point is you're a FOOL!

Okay, so it's got the cheesy 80's metal rock, wheelie and daniel, and it's pretty cheesy, it's still one of the best movies taken from a TV franchise ever.

See yah in a day or two with a full report, unless someone else beats me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishin Ookami View Post
    Megatron: Nobody summons megatron
    Unicron: Then it pleases me to be the first

Megatron: I have already crushed Optimus Prime with my bare hands
    Unicron: You Exaggerate.
    Megatron: The point is he's dead, and the matrix died with him.
    Unicron: No, the point is you're a FOOL!
    My favorite part of the movie(animated)

But I saw the live action version last night(there was a special screening at my local theater). All I can say is.............WOW! Possibly the best movie I've seen this year. Lot's of action and humor. Worth seeing IMO. And I'm a G1 fan so that's saying a lot

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I also got to see it last night, it was a great movie. Much more humorous than I expected, and there is certainly enough action. Not much else I'd have to say, I'd definitely recommend it.

I thought this looked worth checking out (and I'm not a Transformers fan at all really), but then I heard Michael Bay was directing it so I assumed it would suck. But now that it's out, I hear a lot it's actually really good. So now I'm going to see it sometime or another

I wish I could transform into a golf cart

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The new movie is actually pretty good. The plot is silly and sometimes they're a bit melodramatic, the acting isn't all that great, etc. It has all the failings of a typical blockbuster action movie, but in the end it doesn't really matter. The special effects are absolutely amazing, the movie is genuinely funny, and it definitely delivers as a summer action flick. Better than I expected, honestly. And Optimus Prime kicks just as much ass as one would expect.

I wasn't a Transformers kid when I grew up, so when I saw the animated movie I thought it was pretty bad. Humorously bad. But it was aimed at kids moreso than the new one, and didn't have the advantage of (quite possibly) the best special effects in movie history.

O Captain! My Captain! Spawn of Sephiroth's Avatar

Yeah, I would agree that it is one of the best movies to see this year. It has alot of action and it is very funny just like Crossblade said. Definate must see. Just got back from seeing it.

Loki: I have an army.
    Stark: We have a HULK!

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

If they didn't re-design... then the transformers would look like power-rangers Robots do.

which would be like D:... ick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
    If they didn't re-design... then the transformers would look like power-rangers Robots do.

which would be like D:... ick.
    I don't mind the redesigns, I managed to get used to the energon/cybertron/armada/Robots in Disguise ect designs. It's just that some of those designs, megatrons and starscreams in particular, look awful.

I personally do like the new look on Bumblebee and Optimus Prime. true to the overall feel of the G1 designs but updated. But some of the others are just fugly.

i loved the old cartoons as a kid and the old movie. i saw the new movie today and freaking loved it. awesome movie thats all i ahve to say.
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

not you naan bread Sergeant Hartman's Avatar

Bring back Beast Wars I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Hartman View Post
    I agree. In that I am ridiculously obsessed with Beast Wars.

I'm really hoping to see this today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post

Meh, I'm one of those that hated beast machines, the sequel series to Beast Wars. The original creators sold the rights to fox, who then proceeded to systemetically gut everything I liked about Beast Wars one episode at a time. So I'd say unless you could get the original writers for best wars such as Bob Forward to come forward, I'd say just let Beast Wars remain the excellent series it is, and not try to mess with the formula.

Oh, and technically they did bring it back, in comic form. a comic company now has the rights to publishing transformers comics, and they've already released one beast wars mini series, with another to be published starting this month.

Meh, I'm one of those that hated beast machines, the sequel series to Beast Wars. The original creators sold the rights to fox, who then proceeded to systemetically gut everything I liked about Beast Wars one episode at a time. So I'd say unless you could get the original writers for best wars such as Bob Forward to come forward, I'd say just let Beast Wars remain the excellent series it is, and not try to mess with the formula.

Oh, and technically they did bring it back, in comic form. a comic company now has the rights to publishing transformers comics, and they've already released one beast wars mini series, with another to be published starting this month.
    I figure if you watch Beast Machines as what it is (because it couldn't possible live up to the awesomeness that was Beast Wars), it's not that bad. Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio didn't know crap about G1 TF when they started, they're just lucky that the series was set in a place where they could afford to mess up a little bit (for example, they didn't know that the planet was to be Earth... that's why it had two moons originally, they could just blow up one if they decided it was going to be). Skir and Isenberg for BM didn't have that safety net. They planned out the series, Fox asking them to do something completely revolutionary, and they did that. Some people don't like it, understandably, and other people respect it for what it is: a TF series that goes a little bit deeper spiritually, with the obvious lacking in BW writing.

And yeah, The Gathering certainly helps to bring back that Beast Wars feeling. I think part one of The Ascending is due out in August. They're written by Simon Furman, a G1 writer who wrote the final episode to BW ("Nemesis Part Two"... Forward and DiTillio asked him to, because it contained so much G1 lore with regards to the Nemesis and the Covenant of Primus).

I always thought they should have done a TF series of Cybertron prior to the Beast Wars, with Obsidian and Strika as the main protagonists.

I figure if you watch Beast Machines as what it is (because it couldn't possible live up to the awesomeness that was Beast Wars), it's not that bad. Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio didn't know crap about G1 TF when they started, they're just lucky that the series was set in a place where they could afford to mess up a little bit (for example, they didn't know that the planet was to be Earth... that's why it had two moons originally, they could just blow up one if they decided it was going to be). Skir and Isenberg for BM didn't have that safety net. They planned out the series, Fox asking them to do something completely revolutionary, and they did that. Some people don't like it, understandably, and other people respect it for what it is: a TF series that goes a little bit deeper spiritually, with the obvious lacking in BW writing.

And yeah, The Gathering certainly helps to bring back that Beast Wars feeling. I think part one of The Ascending is due out in August. They're written by Simon Furman, a G1 writer who wrote the final episode to BW ("Nemesis Part Two"... Forward and DiTillio asked him to, because it contained so much G1 lore with regards to the Nemesis and the Covenant of Primus).

I always thought they should have done a TF series of Cybertron prior to the Beast Wars, with Obsidian and Strika as the main protagonists.
    I'd be interested in a Beast Wars series that gives Grimlock a little more screen time. I think there is a lot of potential there. Furman has, in the past, overused grimlock (note: furman writes him as more of a klingon type of character, intelligent (to a certain degree), tough, gung ho, but overzealous and a bit dense at times, rather then the "me grimlock munch metal" mess that was in the cartoon) and I think giving grimlock more screen time, as in Gathering all he really did was get his butt handed to him by magmatron, would give a unique standpoint. Another old war veteran and his views on the best wars and the current state of transformer affairs.

and, as not to derail the thread, any other comments bout the current state of best wars, how bout we discuss it via PM?

Anyway, back on topic, the reviews for the movie seem fairly favorable by this point. I'm still curious as to how some of the more old school TF fans are viewing the film.

Oh yah, on a related note. I just heard that the guy who played megatron in the G1 cartoon voices the character in the video game. Awesome!

It was an awesome movie...me and my friends went to go see it, and even tho i classify as being in a "younger crowd" i thought i was great. Even tho i have never seen trasnformers on screen untill last night..