Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/18/08 (Cloverfield)

Default 1/18/08 (Cloverfield)

Alright, tell me I'm not the only one who saw a trailer for this when seeing Transformers. It looks insane. Don't think this will count as spoilers since it was in the trailer, but just to be safe.

(SPOILER)Basically it's shot using home video cameras, and it starts off with some guy having a going away party. It looks just sort of like another independent drama comedy about this guy, but then all of a sudden there's a big earthquake and people start to go a bit crazy. They all run up to the roof to see the lower half of Manhattan, and one of the buildings erupts into a huge ball of fire after this unidentified object from the sky comes flying down and hits it. Then people really start to go crazy and the camera is dropped and blacks out. Then it comes back up and they're out running to get out onto the streets and it keeps cutting in and out. All of a sudden this huge flaming object comes flying through the air and lands on the street and it's the ripped off head of the Statue of Liberty. You can hear this odd freaky roar in the background as more huge flaming/smoking things fly through the air and it ends with people running and screaming. There is no title for the movie, it only shows “Produced by J.J. Abrams" and says “1.18.08″ and flashes the credit block of names for about a half second and that's it.

It's really crazy to watch, since the cinematography makes it look and feel like you are there, which really gets to em. I did some research and found out that apparently it's codename is Cloverfield. Looks like a freaking sweet movie in my opinion, since it's kind of like the Blair Witch Project except, you know, good.

Wiki Page
    IMDB Profile

Anyone else's thoughts?
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah, it was definitely a wtf trailer. But it's J.J. Abrams, which means it may well be really good. My friend I saw Transformers thought that a guy at the end said "It looks like a big lion" or something like that. The whole thing really gave me the vibe of an armageddon/alien invasion movie, but it could easily just be throwing us off, since it's obvious they're keeping it mysterious at this point. So maybe it's an invasion of big lions?

I thought is was a Godzilla trailer...but maybe i was wrong, I've been lookin for the tralier ever sense i saw it at the movies

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.SimpleandClean View Post
    I thought is was a Godzilla trailer...but maybe i was wrong, I've been lookin for the tralier ever sense i saw it at the movies
    Here's a recording of the theatrical trailer on Youtube, but it's not the best quality and may be taken down soon.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rase View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.SimpleandClean View Post
    Here's a recording of the theatrical trailer on Youtube, but it's not the best quality and may be taken down soon.
    It sucks that we have to wait till January to see this...but I can honestly say i havent really been this excited for a move. I love movies like this.....Thanks

O Captain! My Captain! Spawn of Sephiroth's Avatar

Yeah, I too and still do think it is another Godzilla movie.:rolleyes2 Happy happy joy joy:rolleyes2

Loki: I have an army.
    Stark: We have a HULK!

I hate "Blair Witch" style filming. I understand that it makes it feel more real, but I hope to god the majority of the movie had multiple camera angles and uses smooth movements.

As for the plot, can't say anything about a movie from just a teaser like that.
    What I've been listening to:

It's a genius idea, and genius advertising. I can't wait to see the final product; I can only pray that it is as exciting as the teaser.

The guy in the one scene says "It's alive," not "It's a lion."

A popular rumor is that this has something to do with the show, Lost. I have never seen the show, but I hear the first season was really good.

I, personally, find it amusing that some people seem to be turned off by the fact that it's being shot in immersive handheld "Blair Witch shaky cam" when the film they went to see the day they saw the Cloverfield trailer is probably far more nauseatingly filmed and cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    A popular rumor is that this has something to do with the show, Lost. I have never seen the show, but I hear the first season was really good.
    This is a J.J. Abrams project. He's the executive producer of Lost.

I, personally, find it amusing that some people seem to be turned off by the fact that it's being shot in immersive handheld "Blair Witch shaky cam" when the film they went to see the day they saw the Cloverfield trailer is probably far more nauseatingly filmed and cut.
    Are you seriously claiming that a fast moving dolly-propelled camera is more visually unappealing than a handheld cam?

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

He's saying in the case of Transformers it's pretty close to the same thing, which I am not sure of.

I was never sick from Blair Witch, but I can appreciate that a fraction of the population (don't know how much) will not appreciate that sort of movement. Transformers was pretty insane with its scrolling around. Almost annoying at times.

We shall see.

I saw that preview today, and well...I can't wait to see more, but I think the smartest thing they could do is...Keep that trailer. No more secrets revealed of the movie.
    I'm thinking maybe something that was planted under the Earth's crust millions of years ago, that was slowly growing and then errupts to take over the world!
    But really, something under the surface of the earth.
    Looks great though, I can't wait.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The real site is:
    Ethan Haas Was Right - Look to the stars for help
    The truth of Ethan Haas

Pretty great marketing. Also, this was posted on IMDB:
    "Dear IMDb,

My name is Gerald Webber. I live in New York City. In June of last year, our city was ravaged by a monster that no one knows nothing about. All I heard were peircing screams while I hid in my Manhattan office, waiting for the rampage to end.

After the carnage ended, I tried to find news about the "monster" and the attack. But I didn't find a single newspaper article, or T.V report. There was nothing on the internet. I later found out that the Government went for broke and did everything they could to conceal what happened. I got to hand it to them, they sure know how to cover up news especailly something of this magnitude.

One night, I awoke to find a syringe embedded in my skull. I asked my Girlfriend to remove it. She gingerly removed it. There was very little blood. I took the syringe to a friend of mine who is a biologist. He looked it over and told me that there were traces of UO126 in the syringe. UO126 is used to wipe out people's memory. I asked him and my girlfriend if this had anything to do with the monster attack. They then looked at me and said, "What monster attack?" Apparently, they had already been exposed to the UO126 and their memory of the incident was wiped clean.

I am the only person who knows what really happened. And I am here to tell all of you to not be duped -- this is not a movie, but a documentary of that day. I know, because I am apart of this documentary and I am using footage from a digital camcorder that I found in a nearby stormdrain of that incident to help sell this "movie."

Sincerely,
    Gerald Webber"

There were also the Ethan Hass vids posted up on youtube. They might have been removed.

Also:
    "Okay, the person who was posting the Cthulu on the Ethan Haas Was Wrong is named ABDUL ALHAZRED and is a new person who started blogging, July 2007 now, for fun I went to MySpace and I found this page but oddly this person last logged on a month ago June 4, 2007 and they have the Cthulu on their myspace.
    www.myspace.com/bloodiedbones

This is coincidence, no? "

Neat. A Cthulu movie?

Well, I just finished the Ethan Haas puzzle with a friend. We'll see on August 1st if it was worth my time. Hopefully the company behind this will make it as interesting as a 42 Entertainment ARG (ilovebees, Year Zero, The Beast, etc.).

Dang I'm out of date. We've already got 18 month in a year?