Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 515192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Deathly Hallows (Mark Spoilers!)

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    @Firo

Dumbledore gave Hermoine the fairy tale book, because it was clearly the fact that he was aware that Hermione is alert, bright and can decipher things more easily than other wizards/witches. The book led to the discovery of the Deathly Hallows in a roundabout way because of the emblem on the first page, and the tale of the three brothers and Death.
    I think it was to slow down Harry and friends from chasing the Deathly Hallows. By making sure Hermione knew it was a children's book Dumbledore made her be the opposing force whenever Harry tried to chase it. And it worked too, right ? Hermione was the biggest opposition to chase the Hallows.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    @Firo

Dumbledore gave Hermoine the fairy tale book, because it was clearly the fact that he was aware that Hermione is alert, bright and can decipher things more easily than other wizards/witches. The book led to the discovery of the Deathly Hallows in a roundabout way because of the emblem on the first page, and the tale of the three brothers and Death.
    I think it was to slow down Harry and friends from chasing the Deathly Hallows. By making sure Hermione knew it was a children's book Dumbledore made her be the opposing force whenever Harry tried to chase it. And it worked too, right ? Hermione was the biggest opposition to chase the Hallows.
    I don't really think Dumbledore thought that much in depth about it, because he only really knows of Hermione's level of intellect, and can't really predict what her logical view would be like on such a book. I think he thought that they would notice the emblem, look it up, and then that would be their link to the Deathly Hallows.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think it was to slow down Harry and friends from chasing the Deathly Hallows
    I don't really think Dumbledore thought that much in depth about it, because he only really knows of Hermione's level of intellect, and can't really predict what her logical view would be like on such a book. I think he thought that they would notice the emblem, look it up, and then that would be their link to the Deathly Hallows.
    But on that scene at King's Cross he did tell Harry that he counted on Hermione to slow them down. That is why I thought the book was his way of making Hermione dismiss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Potato View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Snape's a butthole.

But that's no spoiler.
    (SPOILER)Did you read this book?
    lol....no, I bought it a couple of days ago. I'm in chapter 22 of The Order of the Phoenix.

I think it was to slow down Harry and friends from chasing the Deathly Hallows
    But on that scene at King's Cross he did tell Harry that he counted on Hermione to slow them down. That is why I thought the book was his way of making Hermione dismiss it.
    Maybe so, but I feel it was just a slight presumption and he never whole heartedly thought that Hermione would refuse to the whole theory, because I never got the feeling that Dumbledore knew her or Ron that much - even mentioned by them two when Rufus Scrimgeour comes to visit at the Burrow.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

So I just finished the book, and I thought it was really well done with the exception of the (SPOILER)final battle with Harry x Voldemort. Two spells and it's over? Huh. The whole battle at Hogwarts was awesome though.

I don't really understand the purpose of the Hallows throughout the entire thing, though. (SPOILER)They didn't really end up doing much of anything, did they? Or at least, I didn't really understand the significance - they ended up just going after the horcruxes anyway.

Also, (SPOILER)SO MANY DEATHS. But I found myself not caring about any of them except Hedwig's. Well, and Snape, but I predicted his death after I read the sixth book. The Prince's Tale is the best chapter in the history of the series, too.

edit: Oh yeah -
    (SPOILER)
    that scene inside the Lestrange's Gringott's vault lost me completely. All I recall is them getting burned and me getting irritated at Rowling; it was a lousy bit.
    I thought the burning and multiplying curses were amazing, creepy, and very original. I liked the idea completely.
    Last edited by Moon Rabbits; 07-29-2007 at 07:14 PM.

i agree about the final battle...it was so anticlimactic.

The last battle was rushed, and all the tension and climatic thrill just evaporated in a few matter of seconds for me. Too much chatting, little fighting. I'm surprised Voldomort would bother circling Harry when he usually goes for the kill early.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Firo Volondé View Post
    I (SPOILER)

How could Dumbledore have defeated Grindelwald? The Elder Wand would mean Grindelwald could never lose a duel, and the book clearly states, several times, Dumbledore duelled him and won, then took his wand. I doubt Grindelwald would have chosen to use a different wand, or gone easy on his former friend.

(SPOILER)I got the impression that Dumbledore had the right to one of the hallows, the elder wand, as he was a very great wizard, and Grindelwald didn't have the right to any of them at all. Harry had the right to all of them, but he kept the cloak which he was the most comfortable with.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firo Volondé View Post
    I (SPOILER)

How could Dumbledore have defeated Grindelwald? The Elder Wand would mean Grindelwald could never lose a duel, and the book clearly states, several times, Dumbledore duelled him and won, then took his wand. I doubt Grindelwald would have chosen to use a different wand, or gone easy on his former friend.

(SPOILER)I got the impression that Dumbledore had the right to one of the hallows, the elder wand, as he was a very great wizard, and Grindelwald didn't have the right to any of them at all. Harry had the right to all of them, but he kept the cloak which he was the most comfortable with.
    I don't quite think it was that really. (SPOILER)Obviously the holder of the Elder Wand can be defeated otherwise the ownership of it would never pass on. Hence, Dumbledore could have simply disarmed Grindelwald or something and the Elder Wand would not have been as effective. While I don't think that would be the case, I think that the ability of the wand holder comes into it as well. Dumbledore was a pretty effective duelist and could have overpowered Grindelwald, I think be it through skill or luck.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

since this thread is all spoilers, i'm just gonna assume that anyone who reads this has read the book or doesn't care

if the wand was 'undefeatable' in a duel...the only way to get it should be to kill the person in their sleep or somesuch

makes me think that they weren't really 'deathly' at all, but as was postulated, just artifacts of great power.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    Oh yeah -
    (SPOILER)
    that scene inside the Lestrange's Gringott's vault lost me completely. All I recall is them getting burned and me getting irritated at Rowling; it was a lousy bit.
    I thought the burning and multiplying curses were amazing, creepy, and very original. I liked the idea completely.
    I loved that scene! Their escape atop that poor tortured dragon was the greatest! I wish the dragon had played more parts in the book such as incinerating some death eaters!

But....

Is it just me or (SPOILER)Fred's Death spoiled re-reading the books for everybody ? I just can't imagine enjoying them the same after that

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    I don't really understand the purpose of the Hallows throughout the entire thing, though. (SPOILER)They didn't really end up doing much of anything, did they? Or at least, I didn't really understand the significance - they ended up just going after the horcruxes anyway. .

My take on it was (SPOILER)that the Deathly Hallows played all the significance in the world. Think back to the Tale of the Three Brothers in which the Deathly Hallows was introduced to us readers. The first two brothers did not find solace with their gifts. The last brother with the Invisibility Cloak did. As you might recall, he lived a long life, gave the Cloak to his son and welcomed Death with open arms. I believe this part of the story dealing with the third brother and welcoming death was the most important.

Dumbledore wanted the trio to find out about the Deathly Hallows, and most importantly, he wanted Harry to know. His goal wasn't for Harry to search after all Hallows, but to learn the story's lesson. He already had the Cloak, and that was the only gift he needed. Remember Dumbledore knew Harry was a Horcrux (or at least made a "really good guess") and thus sent him to die. Let's go back to the chatper titled "The Prince's Tale". Dumbledore tells Snape that he must tell him this information when Voldy starts protecting his snake. Dumbledore knew Harry would find out this information about him having a piece of Voldemort's soul attached, but had to make sure it was at the right time.

Also, go back to the first couple paragraphs of "The Forest Again". When Harry basically has an epiphany after viewing all of Snape's past memories. He (if I'm not mistaken) even SAYS that he has to welcome Death with open arms. Also, Harry was able to open the snitch when he told it he was about to die. As we learned in "The Prince's Tale", Dumbledore had a lot more planned in the end than any of us could have ever expected. He may not have been perfect, as his past showed us, but he definitely made up for his mistakes in the last few years of his life.

An unknown quantity Disco Potato's Avatar

J.K. Rowling interview

This answers a lot of questions, but a lot of people think that Rowling made stuff up as she went along
    Last edited by Disco Potato; 07-31-2007 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Potato View Post
    J.K. Rowling interview

This answers a lot of questions, but a lot of people think that Rowling made stuff up as she went along
    Your link is awesome, I read the whole thing.

I never knew Bellatrix loved Voldomort romantically...