Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deathly Hallows (Mark Spoilers!)

i thought the epilog was ok! it could have been more informative but thats what you get with a happy ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Garnie View Post
    i thought the epilog was ok! it could have been more informative but thats what you get with a happy ending!
    I agree. There could've been more about the aftermath but I felt it was a rather touching and pretty good way to end it.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psychotic
    (SPOILER)Methinks Harry's christlike resurrection will piss off the Christian anti-witchraft movement even more..
    (SPOILER) When JKR quotes the BIBLE in it? no wai man. And also she proved that it was good vs. evil just like everyone was saying all those years ago. You have good harry who refuses to be evil versus evil voldemort who refuses to be good! very black and white lol
    (SPOILER)Sorry, my memory's not too good, but when does she quote the Bible? Having said that, the entire book could be the Bible and I probably wouldn't realise it.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

And now another random thought.

(SPOILER)A lot of people seem a bit miffed that Molly Weasley nailed Bellatrix instead of Neville, but to be honest I prefer it. I've always really liked the story of Gideon and Fabian Prewett, and until this book I had no idea they were her brothers, and when I read Harry getting Fabian's watch I smiled.

It just explains her character, why she is so overprotective and scared, having lost her brothers to the Death Eaters, and not being able to help them, and I imagine the injuries to Bill and George, and losing Fred will have only made it worse. By fighting Bellatrix and defending her family, it just completes the character.

Neville's character isn't based on regret over what happened to his parents, or a need for revenge. He just wants to live up to their name and be considered worthy by his Gran, and I'm sure you all noticed that he did.

I didn't mind that the epilogue was a happy end, I would be upset if it wasn't. The thing that bothers me is that it hardly tells us anything interesting. (SPOILER)So the main cast got married...who would have guessed that?

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    (SPOILER)
    It was good that she didn't make all the important characters survive, but I thought it was a bit contrived that Grawp fought off may full sized giants on his own. And noone seemed too upset about the awesomesauce Lupin and Tonks going.
    (SPOILER)Well Lupin was significant enough to be one of the spirits or whatever that walked with Harry as he faced his death. He was put on the same level as Harry's parents and Sirius.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I enjoyed waiting to read this thread until after I had finished the book just as much as waiting to read the book without spoilers for so long. It was fun seeing who thought what and knowing they were right or wrong.

(SPOILER)Something I noticed was that the chapter The Last Horcrux was off. At the time there were two left. The tiara and Harry. We didn't know about either of them at the time. When I read the chapter title I kept going over the horcrux's in my mind thinking I had forgotten about one, but it just turns out the title itself was wrong

The ending (meaning last few chapters) was a complete let down to me. Especially that awful epilogue she put in. Otherwise, I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as the previous two books.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The problem with the epilogue wasn't that it was HAPPY. Gosh dammit, I wanted a happy ending to everything. But she could have written a happy ending that concluded the series without it being so lame.

Especially after [spoilers]Harry completely owned Voldemort like a badass.[/spoilers]

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I just got the book yesterday! My grandpa waits in line for me every other year, bless his heart! I'm trying to stay off the internet for awhile to avoid spoilers, and I haven't read a single post in this thread!

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    (SPOILER)
    It was good that she didn't make all the important characters survive, but I thought it was a bit contrived that Grawp fought off may full sized giants on his own. And noone seemed too upset about the awesomesauce Lupin and Tonks going.
    (SPOILER)Well Lupin was significant enough to be one of the spirits or whatever that walked with Harry as he faced his death. He was put on the same level as Harry's parents and Sirius.

THE JACKAL

(SPOILER)Yes, Harry thought Lupin was important and the spirit thingy happened, but he didn't really seem too upset that Lupin and Tonks were dead. Maybe he'd gotten used to people dying by then, though.

The gratitude I feel towards Rowling is that which could never be given justice through words alone. I find it hard to believe that the series ran for 10 years and in all that time i've been hooked. No other book in my small library can boast what Harry Potter can and now that it is al over I feel a dull ache where anticipation for the ending has been replaced with the saddening knowledge that there will be no more. I feel almost as if my last vestige of childhood left me the moment I tearfully closed that book.

I did surprisingly well until the (SPOILER)Heaven scene. This book tarnished Dumbledore's name when it began revealing that he wasn't the essence of purity and friendliness that has had been shown as for the first 6 books. After growing up with this notion having it taken away after he had died seemed a bit harsh of Rowling. Especially when it is revealed that he has long since sentenced Harry to death. So when he appeared to Harry as his confident, happy and warm-hearted self that we all know and love and explained that he had hoped beyond hope that Harry would indeed survive...Well, it brought me to tears. Of relief more than joy.

After that I was on the edge until the epilogue, managing to hold back even during the (SPOILER)very end of their childhood in the story, the last time we'd know Harry, Ron and Hermione as their young selves.

But I couldn't help but let loose a torrent of tears onto the book when all the meaning behind Harry (SPOILER)calling his child Albus severus Potter came crashing in.

(SPOILER) Some people thought the ending tacked on and pointless, but I, like some others, enjoy that it prevents any future sequels being made and reducing the quality of the series in everyone's memory.

The star that burns twice as bright, lasts half as long. It should stay that way.

I don't think I will even be more engaged in a series of books than I have been since 1997 with Harry Potter. I never thought I could be so euphoric and as torn at this thought, much as Rowling herself said. I only hope she knows how much she has touched the world.

I didn't really like the epilogue. I just liked that it was there. It takes steps to prevent HP from branching out too much.

I'm glad that (SPOILER)Dumbledore's reputation became slightly tarnished. The perfection was just unrealistic. It really started hurting me when I was having the same doubts as Harry, but I think it was for the better. You grow from your mistakes and it seems Dumbledore was no exception.

I don't see why Rowling wouldn't be able to write a sequel if she chose to, plenty could have happened in those 19 years.