Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Earth

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

This reminds me of that South Park episode. Lawl.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I'll ask again, who played this show?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreamer View Post
    Discord cheers for the slap across the head. But the modern United States still have not polluted the world quite as much as the old British Empire did.
    Even if that's true it's not the point. The U.S. is one of, if not the worst polluter of every first world nation on Earth. On top of that, when the Britain started the industrial revolution, you didn't have every single country and their pet dog strip mining the planet for every natural resource they could get their hands on in an attempt to do the same thing. With all the countries out there destroying their local eco-systems with no care for the consequences it falls on first world nations in particular to not only curb our own polluting, but to make the technologies that will help solve the problem available to other countries. No amount of burying our heads in the sand is going to get around the fact that we need to do something to lessen our impact on the environment, because we're all going to have to live with the consequences in the next few decades.

And the argument that all of this change will be hard on the economy is crap. The development and sale of new products and technologies can only help create more jobs and new business opportunities/industries. The transition might be tough, but it's not like the global economy would come crashing down leaving us all bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc View Post
    Apparently it was a series of concerts with different performances at each, Wikipedia covers the full spectrum here.

Ciddieless since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc View Post
    Spinal Tap. That's all I watched.
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

To answer Heath. The Green Party are in government in Ireland with Fianna Fail(largest party we have),two progressive democrat mp's & some independants.

Discord cheers for the slap across the head. But the modern United States still have not polluted the world quite as much as the old British Empire did.
    Ah. The Greens will be used to add up for a coalition. I was more on about them winning a straight out majority (like Labour have in the UK) and being the only party in government.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Not really slapping anybody here at all. Just reminding you that the British industry during the colonial times was located inside the UK, which then again contradicts with your argument from before.

In all honesty, I'll admit that I haven't got a clue who caused more pollution so far, UK or the US. I simply do not know. I'm actually having problems figuring out how we'd compare the modern pollution with the coal fires from back then.

However, I don't think that stating that UK once polluted much more than US does now is a good argument for environmental ignorance. Also, we shouldn't forget that during the industrial revolution there were a couple of other problems the people had to worry about (think alone about the fact that the goods were sparse and that the market was production-orientated), not to mention the fact that there was simply no other power source other than the coal. Fact being is that while the rest of the world is trying to suppress the emissions, the US shows a big middle finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Odaisé Gaelach View Post
    Spinal Tap. That's all I watched.
    Sorry, someone said Spinal Tap and now I forgot what I was going to say.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Actually, as a historian-in-training, I have to say that whole UK comparison is pretty worthless. There are 3 nation-states that took coal use to the extreme, Britain and the US, like you said, and China. The UK obviously had it alot, you'll hear the stories of how in major cities it was literally black skies with smog.

In the US, ironically even today, the effects and intense use of coal are just as bad, it's just not as visible. It's also covered up alot. No, i'm not talking conspiracy theories, i'm talking of ways that it gets masked. Still today we use coal alot in much of our power plants, and alot of the laws that got passed to "reduce" coal emissions were mostly a farce, the numbers that were talked were really insignificant details and you'd be amazed at how much we're really emitting. It's actually a few miles that your vision is limited to because of it. Also, several people do die every year from the coal we emit.

China actually is a huge problem with it, the ratio of energy to people actually using it is terrible, possibly worse than in the first industrial revolution, the technology is crude and the rate is horrifying.

As far as our economy, the main complaint is on the auto industry and i have news for you - our automobile producers are already suffering severely because their products can't compete with the energy efficiency of cars from overseas, especially Japan. At its height, the US automobile industry produced probably 90% of the world's cars, now i don't think we even have a majority in our own country.

I've already gone off too much for my own good, and i'm sure the threadstarter wasn't that serious (maybe he/she is, i don't know) but i just find it sad when people want to complain, ridicule, and challenge people who are genuinely trying to do some progressive things to elevate our society, and world.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    To answer Heath. The Green Party are in government in Ireland with Fianna Fail(largest party we have),two progressive democrat mp's & some independants.

Ah. The Greens will be used to add up for a coalition. I was more on about them winning a straight out majority (like Labour have in the UK) and being the only party in government.
    Oh right get you now. If in some mad alternative universe that was to happen the Irish economy would be completed destroyed an the people would be poorer than during the potato famine of the 1840's as they would tax everything not environmentally friendly which when you think about it is alot of things in Irish society.