Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How much did Final Fantasy VII revolutionise the series?

Quote Originally Posted by grim07 View Post
    Ahh, I see that people are finally turning around and realizing it. You can hate this game as much as you want, call it every name in the book, pick out every little detail, but in the end, it WAS revolutionary, and you have to admit it.
    Wait people actually admitted that it was "revolutionary" xD

Epic rolling Lol's are in order.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah so I still don't agree with it being "revolutionary." Yes it may follow the definition in the dictionary, but you know what other kind of words are in the dictionary? Words like "Ginormous", honestly now. I believe a revolution is something like oh I don't know, another country invading another changing for MANY MANY MANY YEARS, the mindsets of the people in the country, eventually leading to their own rebelion and a whole new country of their own. I have yet to see any game maker quoted to say that FFVII was their inspiration for their games, nor have I even seen anyone say that other FF games were inspired by FFVII other than the spinoffs the game has oh so adequetly gained.

Now, if I'm wrong, correct me, but correct me with the -proof- that things like this have been said by the people who matter, AKA the creators of the FF's after FFVII, and/or various other game people saying that FFVII was their inspiration on creating their own game. If it was revolutionary, it would have impacted something other than the fans, it would have impacted the entire gaming, or even lower, just the RPG industry, and all you've been able to do is tell us things with out actual proof. If you have the proof link it, if you don't, don't expect everyone to believe you just because you tell us it's revolutionary.
    Last edited by Avarice-ness; 07-15-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Ahh, I see that people are finally turning around and realizing it. You can hate this game as much as you want, call it every name in the book, pick out every little detail, but in the end, it WAS revolutionary, and you have to admit it.
    I don't think it's as revolutionary as people keep saying it is though. It's revolutionary in the same way Mario 64 was. I kind of feel it was technology that was revolutionary, not the game itself, if the game came out as FFVI with the same exact story line but on a 2D system, it would be nowhere as popular. If FFVIII was released first, then VII, then people would say that VIII was revolutionary. The Playstation plays a huge role in it, if that system was a commercial failure then no one would give a crap about FFVII.

i do think FFVII is revolutionary. Now i'm not just saying this because its my favo FF, but because it certainly did a lot to the RPG and gaming world. I don't know if there were games with FMVs like that at the time. We did have great stories before FFVII though(see Chrono Trigger) but i don't think anyone can argue FFVII meant a lot to the gaming world. It did bring new stuff..gameplay that was really refreshing(Materia system for example) and it just had a great atmosphere. To this day no game is as well made as FFVII in my book. Some games do come close(like FFX or KH2 imo) but it's revolutionary in many ways. Now i'm not going to start the details about everything that made it revolutionary(this 6 page discussion should tell youxD) But i do agree that the marketing for the game was huge and when the time when this game was agreed nobody had experienced anything like it. I guess that's why many recall it being revolutionary. One thing is clear..the game is really popularxD

Banned
    Blog Entries

I could argue wether it was or not but grims pretty much said everything I can think of.

So yeah I agree with grim.

I fail to see how the Materia system was revolutionary, if it stuck with the franchise then I would agree...but each Final Fantasy game has its own unique system, III and V had jobs, VI had espers, IX had the abilities, X had sphere grid etc. The FMVs were pretty much the only revolutionary part, because it introduced short, detailed (although in FF7 most of the time it was just the normal character models placed over the detailed movies) cut scenes to display visually what telling even the greatest story in the 2D games couldn't do, adding more depth to the game.

Not to mention this game had the hottest badass.

Quote Originally Posted by *~Dagger Trepe~* View Post
    Not to mention this game had the hottest badass.
    I hope you mean Cid, because he's the only badass in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by *~Dagger Trepe~* View Post
    I meant Sephy...
    Sephiroth? A badass? WHAT. He slept the whole game and is a mama's boy who didn't say a word in the final battle... not a REAL man like Mr. Highwind.

haha..yeah Cid sure was the talker xD but Sephy owns the game xD

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

virtually all of the commercial success comes from FFVII.

that doesn't make it the best and makes annoying debates and arguments that never die.

I'd imagine its very normal for a series of anything to have a single title that is well known. not neccasarily because its the best. but just for popularity and success. FF7 has so much potential.

I'm trying to think of another thing that was revolutionized in a similar way by a single game/CD E.T.C. but theres nothing wrong with it.

Give credit to all the games but even though the fans may start off NooBish and annoying to you, they'll respect the rest of the series.

Its only takes one game to get you into the series.

for some this was FFX

for some, FF1

but for most, FF7.

thats my piece.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Quote Originally Posted by boys from the dwarf View Post
    virtually all of the commercial success comes from FFVII.

that doesn't make it the best and makes annoying debates and arguments that never die.

I'd imagine its very normal for a series of anything to have a single title that is well known. not neccasarily because its the best. but just for popularity and success. FF7 has so much potential.

I'm trying to think of another thing that was revolutionized in a similar way by a single game/CD E.T.C. but theres nothing wrong with it.

Give credit to all the games but even though the fans may start off NooBish and annoying to you, they'll respect the rest of the series.

Its only takes one game to get you into the series.

for some this was FFX

for some, FF1

but for most, FF7.

thats my piece.
    Imo this is the best and most objective post in the entire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post
    Wait people actually admitted that it was "revolutionary" xD

Epic rolling Lol's are in order.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah so I still don't agree with it being "revolutionary." Yes it may follow the definition in the dictionary, but you know what other kind of words are in the dictionary? Words like "Ginormous", honestly now. I believe a revolution is something like oh I don't know, another country invading another changing for MANY MANY MANY YEARS, the mindsets of the people in the country, eventually leading to their own rebelion and a whole new country of their own. I have yet to see any game maker quoted to say that FFVII was their inspiration for their games, nor have I even seen anyone say that other FF games were inspired by FFVII other than the spinoffs the game has oh so adequetly gained.

Now, if I'm wrong, correct me, but correct me with the -proof- that things like this have been said by the people who matter, AKA the creators of the FF's after FFVII, and/or various other game people saying that FFVII was their inspiration on creating their own game. If it was revolutionary, it would have impacted something other than the fans, it would have impacted the entire gaming, or even lower, just the RPG industry, and all you've been able to do is tell us things with out actual proof. If you have the proof link it, if you don't, don't expect everyone to believe you just because you tell us it's revolutionary.
    No matter what form of evidence I provide you, you'll just say its wrong, and attack the source, so I wont even bother. It fits the dictionary term of revolutionary. Revolutionary is NOT a new word. Its been around forever. Why are you trying to argue with a printed deff. of what a word means?

To the rest of you, it may have had "small" revolutionary features to you, it may have had many large ones, it doesn really matter. The bottom line was that it HAD revolutionary features, making IT revolutionary.

And all of you have, at one point or another, admited it. In your own way, whether you said, "All it did was THIS" or "It was only new in THIS way" it doesnt matter. It still did something new, fresh and changing, and DID impact RPG's after it.

Quote Originally Posted by grim07
    Revolutionary is NOT a new word. Its been around forever
    So it's been around since before the creation of the Earth?
    To the rest of you, it may have had "small" revolutionary features to you, it may have had many large ones, it doesn really matter. The bottom line was that it HAD revolutionary features, making IT revolutionary.
    Every FF had "small" revolutianary features. So every FF was revolutionary.

and DID impact RPG's after it.
    So did FFI