Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How much did Final Fantasy VII revolutionise the series?

Quote Originally Posted by f f freak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grim07
    Revolutionary is NOT a new word. Its been around forever
    So it's been around since before the creation of the Earth?
    To the rest of you, it may have had "small" revolutionary features to you, it may have had many large ones, it doesn really matter. The bottom line was that it HAD revolutionary features, making IT revolutionary.
    Every FF had "small" revolutianary features. So every FF was revolutionary.

and DID impact RPG's after it.
    So did FFI

1. Dont be stupid.

2. Why do I keep having to repeat myself.

Final Fantasy revolutionized RPG's. Final Fantasy VII revolutionized Final Fantasy.

One thing that wasnt small about VII's revolutionary capacity was its graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by *~Dagger Trepe~* View Post
    I meant Sephy...
    Sephiroth? A badass? WHAT. He slept the whole game and is a mama's boy who didn't say a word in the final battle... not a REAL man like Mr. Highwind.
    Sephiroth is hot.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by grim07 View Post
    To the rest of you, it may have had "small" revolutionary features to you, it may have had many large ones, it doesn really matter. The bottom line was that it HAD revolutionary features, making IT revolutionary.

So did FFI

1. Dont be stupid.

Final Fantasy revolutionized RPG's. Final Fantasy VII revolutionized Final Fantasy.

I've pretty much given up on this subject. But it was agreed PAGES ago that the graphic situation was a revolution feature of the PS1 not FFVII.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post

So did FFI

1. Dont be stupid.

I've pretty much given up on this subject. But it was agreed PAGES ago that the graphic situation was a revolution feature of the PS1 not FFVII.

The playstation is nothing without the game.

And Final Fantasy VII is the first 3d ff which is revolutionary. plain simple unarguable fact. no matter what system powered it, it was the first.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Ditto.
    Figaro Castle

And Final Fantasy VII is the first 3d ff which is revolutionary. plain simple unarguable fact. no matter what system powered it, it was the first.
    If Final Fantasy VII was the first 3D game, or 3D RPG, then it would be revolutionary. But no, it wasn't. The fact that FF7 brought the series into 3D has nothing at all to do with the game, it was just timing and technology. Aside from that, everything else in FF7 was done before it was made. Sales and popularity is what made it revolutionary, that's it. Nothing else.

The spoon is too big! Firo Volondé's Avatar

Incorrect. Even without VII, the Playstation has its entire library of games, most of which are superior in the majority of catergories, enough so that you can claim they are BETTER. VII, however, is useless without a PSX, PS2, PS3 or an emulator for any of the above consoles on PC.

True. BUT (and this is a big but here) you cannot claim a game is revolutionary based solely on this. And, unlike you, I give evidence.

Definition, if you're interested.

1. of, pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of a revolution, or a sudden, complete, or marked change: a revolutionary junta.

Sudden? No. When the Playstation was made, everyone knew it was a matter of time before 3D games became mainstream.
    Complete? Another no. 2D games didn't die out, so it was only an incomplete change.
    Marked? (Which means "conspicuous", BTW) Again no. Technology was developing not only in video games, but all forms of electronics. Again, the PS had been around for a while, so nobody was really surprised by VII.
    2. radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.: a revolutionary discovery.

Radically new? Innovative? Outside or beyond established procedures? Yet again no. VII was the first 3D game to become a household name, so many ignorant people think it was the first, and try to claim so on internet fora like EoFF (hint, hint).
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    Ditto.
    QFT.
    This is a signature.

Okay, it seems that no one looked at my earlier analogy.

When man first landed on the moon, that was a revolutionary feat. We all knew it was going to happen one day, but that didnt make it any less revolutionary. Unless you think man going into outerspace ISNT revolutionary. And if you do, then there is no hope for you.

Also, what I meant by the PSX being nothing without the game, I meant the game FFVII. You cant play the PSX by itself. It HAS to have software to work.

Both of you admitted it was revolutionary just now. Of course with all your customary "only" and "but" but you still admitted that it was revolutionary. It doesnt matter if it only did one or two things in your eyes. It STILL did it.

I am not talking about other games. I realized there were other 3D games before FFVII. What I am pointing out is that FFVII REVOLUTIONIZED FINAL FANTASY. Name a FF that was 3D before FFVII. Or that had full motion video. Name one.

True, if VIII was the first 3D, it woulda been revolutionary too.

It doesnt matter if you hate FFVII. Revolutionary doesnt always mean a good thing. But you cant sit there and say it wasnt revolutionary when it was.

I'll argue this all day. But Ive already won. You all have admitted it was revolutionary. So there ya go.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, I'm going to approach this from a different angle.

It appears that everyone agrees that FFVII made great strides forward in the series in different areas, whether it be graphics, story or other areas. What seems to be the object of debate now is whether or not these advancements are revolutionary and can be attributed to FFVII. grim07, you keep saying that because people admit to these advancements, it proves they are revolutionary. You need to now show why they are revolutionary rather than advancements now. The reason people stopped posting or ignoring what you've previously written is because your responses can be summarized as "Everyone said that FFVII made advancements, and because I think these advancements are revolutionary I win.", when in fact you need to prove/explain why these are revolutionary versus advancements. You can't assume that an advancement is in and of itself a revolution, you have to prove that it is a revolution instead of an advancement or your arguement is null and void because you have failed to defend yourself properly.

And finally, please don't say "I win, you lose." or some variation thereof. There has been no definite winner or loser in this debate. That's why people were enjoying it earlier, because there were several opinions that were all valid. When you came in and said, "See, I'm right and you're wrong." and started ignoring what people wrote and wouldn't defend yourself in regards to their comments, people quit replying to the thread because it's like trying to debate with a brick wall, and that's annoying.
    Figaro Castle

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm to lazy to basically end up retyping what FM said so...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    Okay, I'm going to approach this from a different angle.

It appears that everyone agrees that FFVII made great strides forward in the series in different areas, whether it be graphics, story or other areas. What seems to be the object of debate now is whether or not these advancements are revolutionary and can be attributed to FFVII. grim07, you keep saying that because people admit to these advancements, it proves they are revolutionary. You need to now show why they are revolutionary rather than advancements now. The reason people stopped posting or ignoring what you've previously written is because your responses can be summarized as "Everyone said that FFVII made advancements, and because I think these advancements are revolutionary I win.", when in fact you need to prove/explain why these are revolutionary versus advancements. You can't assume that an advancement is in and of itself a revolution, you have to prove that it is a revolution instead of an advancement or your arguement is null and void because you have failed to defend yourself properly.

And finally, please don't say "I win, you lose." or some variation thereof. There has been no definite winner or loser in this debate. That's why people were enjoying it earlier, because there were several opinions that were all valid. When you came in and said, "See, I'm right and you're wrong." and started ignoring what people wrote and wouldn't defend yourself in regards to their comments, people quit replying to the thread because it's like trying to debate with a brick wall, and that's annoying.
    What he said

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

FF7 put a lot of RPG's on the map.It was the first 3D RPG, with a nice story line.

So did FFI

1. Dont be stupid.

1. I wasn't being stupid. YOU were with your stupid "Revolutzionariz haz ben arund 4 eva!! LOLOLOLZ".

2. You're not repeating yourself. You keep changing your argument. First FFVII revolutionized RPG's. Then you changed to FFVII revolutionized the FF series. Next it'll probably be the whole frickin Universe!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
    FF7 put a lot of RPG's on the map.It was the first 3D RPG, with a nice story line.
    It was not the first 3D RPG....

When man first landed on the moon, that was a revolutionary feat. We all knew it was going to happen one day, but that didnt make it any less revolutionary. Unless you think man going into outerspace ISNT revolutionary. And if you do, then there is no hope for you.
    Did you just compare a Playstation game to the first man on the moon?
    That was a horrible analogy.

People expected a man to go on the moon? You're quite old! Being able to remember what it was like in the 60s!

FF7 going 3D is nothing but an enhancement, just one step of a still growing path of evolution, and in 10 years no one will give a crap about it being revolutionary, it will just be another Final Fantasy.

Okay, it seems that no one looked at my earlier analogy.

Also, what I meant by the PSX being nothing without the game, I meant the game FFVII. You cant play the PSX by itself. It HAS to have software to work.

Both of you admitted it was revolutionary just now. Of course with all your customary "only" and "but" but you still admitted that it was revolutionary. It doesnt matter if it only did one or two things in your eyes. It STILL did it.

I am not talking about other games. I realized there were other 3D games before FFVII. What I am pointing out is that FFVII REVOLUTIONIZED FINAL FANTASY. Name a FF that was 3D before FFVII. Or that had full motion video. Name one.

True, if VIII was the first 3D, it woulda been revolutionary too.

It doesnt matter if you hate FFVII. Revolutionary doesnt always mean a good thing. But you cant sit there and say it wasnt revolutionary when it was.

I'll argue this all day. But Ive already won. You all have admitted it was revolutionary. So there ya go.
    If I remember correctly, there is an FMV at the beginning of six, no?

I think you need to calm down. You're grabbing for straws.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by *~Dagger Trepe~* View Post
    If I remember correctly, there is an FMV at the beginning of six, no?

I think you need to calm down. You're grabbing for straws.
    Only in the PSOne re-release. SNES FFVI had a cinematic-ish opening, but it wasn't Full Motion Video.
    Figaro Castle