Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: How much did Final Fantasy VII revolutionise the series?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by *~Dagger Trepe~* View Post
    If I remember correctly, there is an FMV at the beginning of six, no?

I think you need to calm down. You're grabbing for straws.
    Only in the PSOne re-release. SNES FFVI had a cinematic-ish opening, but it wasn't Full Motion Video.
    Wasn't that released before FFVII?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    If I remember correctly, there is an FMV at the beginning of six, no?

I think you need to calm down. You're grabbing for straws.
    Only in the PSOne re-release. SNES FFVI had a cinematic-ish opening, but it wasn't Full Motion Video.
    Wasn't that released before FFVII?
    In the US, the PSOne release of FFVI (in Anthology) was 1999, two years after FFVII was released in 1997.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

No worries.
    Figaro Castle

1. No, I never changed my argument. Go back and re-read all my posts. I always said Final Fantasy revolutionized RPG's, Final Fantasy VII revolutionized Final Fantasy.

2. The analogy to the moon was correct, and can also be contributed to anything man was "expected" to do. It was always expected that our technology would take us into space. It was always expected that we would be able to build machines that would let us fly. It was always expected that our technology would advance. But that didnt make any of those things less revolutionary, and nethier should FF VII, being the first 3D FF, just because video games were "expected" to go that route.

3. The way it was revolutionized (and yes, you guys have said revolutionized, go back and read what you wrote) mostly is in the graphics. Its the first 3D FF. Plain and simple. Why argue that? THAT is revolutionary for the Final Fantasy series, as every single one AFTER that is 3D (cept for the old school remakes). True, it was "expected" to go 3D, but so was man expected to go into space. But Neil Armstrong is still revolutionary for being the first one, and FF VII is still revolutionary for being the first 3D FF. Nothing you can say or do will change that. Its revolutionary, no matter how small or big. No matter if it sucked or not, NO OTHER FF BEFORE IT LOOKED LIKE IT.

4. I win (and yes, thats just to spite you)

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by grim07 View Post
    2. The analogy to the moon was correct, and can also be contributed to anything man was "expected" to do. It was always expected that our technology would take us into space. It was always expected that we would be able to build machines that would let us fly. It was always expected that our technology would advance. But that didnt make any of those things less revolutionary, and nethier should FF VII, being the first 3D FF, just because video games were "expected" to go that route.
    Trying to back that analogy is not working for you. Go back to 1000AD, and tell them that we're going to make it to the moon using rockets which let us fly. They'll probably call you some kind of witch/vampire/madman and kill you. In fact go back to when Sputnik was launched and say, "Hey! We'll beat them Ruskies to the moon!" and even then not everyone will believe you.

3. The way it was revolutionized (and yes, you guys have said revolutionized, go back and read what you wrote) mostly is in the graphics. Its the first 3D FF. Plain and simple. Why argue that? THAT is revolutionary for the Final Fantasy series, as every single one AFTER that is 3D (cept for the old school remakes). True, it was "expected" to go 3D, but so was man expected to go into space. But Neil Armstrong is still revolutionary for being the first one, and FF VII is still revolutionary for being the first 3D FF. Nothing you can say or do will change that. Its revolutionary, no matter how small or big. No matter if it sucked or not, NO OTHER FF BEFORE IT LOOKED LIKE IT.
    That has nothing to do with FFVII though. That has to do with the revolutionary aspects of the PS1. In fact using your example... us actually getting to the moon wasn't important at all. What good has that done for us? What was revolutionary was that us going to the moon showed how revolutionary our rockets, and NASA was. Just as FFVII wasn't the actual revolution, it just showed how revolutionary the PS1 was.

If your winning right now I can't imagine what you look like losing :rolleyes2

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Trying to back that analogy is not working for you. Go back to 1000AD, and tell them that we're going to make it to the moon using rockets which let us fly. They'll probably call you some kind of witch/vampire/madman and kill you. In fact go back to when Sputnik was launched and say, "Hey! We'll beat them Ruskies to the moon!" and even then not everyone will believe you.

That has nothing to do with FFVII though. That has to do with the revolutionary aspects of the PS1. In fact using your example... us actually getting to the moon wasn't important at all. What good has that done for us? What was revolutionary was that us going to the moon showed how revolutionary our rockets, and NASA was. Just as FFVII wasn't the actual revolution, it just showed how revolutionary the PS1 was.

I dont know what further to add. He thinks that us landing on the moon wasnt important. It was NASA showing off. I mean, forget the entire mankind exploring outer space, forget maybe finding another planet to live on.

So you continue to say that FF VII has 3D graphics because of the playstation. True. So? That doesnt change the fact that its the first 3D final fantasy. Like I said, I dont care if it was on the N64 first, it dont matter WHAT system, its STILL the first 3D FF. Plain and simple.

I broke down your bull ps1 argument. face facts man. you cant get around it. ill put it in caps, so you can understand.

ITS THE FIRST 3D FINAL FANTASY.

Revolutionary. Yes.

I win. Again.

NEXT.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post

I dont know what further to add. He thinks that us landing on the moon wasnt important. It was NASA showing off. I mean, forget the entire mankind exploring outer space, forget maybe finding another planet to live on.

So you continue to say that FF VII has 3D graphics because of the playstation. True. So? That doesnt change the fact that its the first 3D final fantasy. Like I said, I dont care if it was on the N64 first, it dont matter WHAT system, its STILL the first 3D FF. Plain and simple.

I broke down your bull ps1 argument. face facts man. you cant get around it. ill put it in caps, so you can understand.

Revolutionary. Yes.

I win. Again.

NEXT.
    No you didn't. Not at all. In fact you didn't even read my statement, you're in such a rush to call bull at whatever I say and declare you win that you don't try and learn from the debate. Us being able to get to the moon is important. Us actually going to the moon isn't as important, have we gotten any resources from the moon? Or perhaps we've begun moving people there?

No we've gotten nothing revolutionary from the moon, what was important was us showing we can travel through space and land on other planets, moons, or whatever.

Now... The Final Fantasy VII's graphics were not revolutionary, because the game itself didn't give us those graphics, the PS1 did.

So what I was saying is...
    The PS1 is to Final Fantasy VII's Graphics as
    Shuttles and NASA are to the moonlanding

1. No, I never changed my argument. Go back and re-read all my posts. I always said Final Fantasy revolutionized RPG's, Final Fantasy VII revolutionized Final Fantasy.

I think you need to calm down. You're gonna pop a vain :rolleyes2

1. Landing on the moon is revolutionary. I'm afraid 3-D game graphic DON'T make a game revolutionary. What if the gameplay sucked? That goes out the window.

2. Don't be so defensive. We're trying to be civil and you're making it hard.

The spoon is too big! Firo Volondé's Avatar

That argument would hold a lot more water IF any of it were true. Only a few people have ever been to outer space, and how many other planets do humans inhabit? Plus, if NASA weren't showing off, they wouldn't have bothered televising it all around the world.

Holy crap, I completely forgot about the N64 demo! You just tossed whatever traces of credibility you had left out the window by saying that. See, we're debating FACTS, not OPINIONS. If you don't care about [fact X], that's an opinion. Trying to counter facts with opinions is like going at a dragon with a toothpick. You're gonna lose. The fact is, VII is NOT the first 3D FF ever made. It is only the first 3D FF to be released as a full game. It is not revolutionary. Full stop. Na na na na, na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye. You can stick your fingers in your ears and say, "I don't care" all you like, but it's not going to change the facts

I broke down your bull ps1 argument.
    No you didn't. You just repeated your opinion and said you broke it down.

face facts man. you cant get around it.
    No, you haven't used any conclusive facts, now that you've disproved your own "it was the first 3D FF" claim.

ill put it in caps, so you can understand.

Revolutionary. Yes.

I win. Again. NEXT.
    Whatever. If you want to believe you won, go ahead. Maybe if you do, you'll go away.
    This is a signature.

1. There was no N64 demo. FF VII was released on Playstation only. And PC later on. Thats it. So yeah, its the first 3D FF.

2. So, the Playstation takes the credit for FFVII's graphics? FF VII had NOTHING to do with how it look, it was all the system, hm? Do you have any idea how a game is made? If what you are saying is true, then ALL Playstation games would look the same. And they dont. Its the first 3D FF. Get used to it.

3. Back to the moon thing. It was revolutionary. We HAVE sent more then just " a few" men into space since then: As of June 13, 2007, a total of 460 humans from 39 countries have gone into space according to the FAI guideline, while 466 people qualify under the U.S. definition. Of those totals, 456 people have reached Earth orbit or beyond and 24 people have traveled beyond Low Earth Orbit. Space travelers have spent over 30,000 person-days (or a cumulative total of over 82 years) in space, including over 100 person-days of spacewalks.

4. The benefit of landing on the moon was so we could explore and see what the moons surface is like, and whether or not it was inhabitable for humans.

5. None of that changes the fact that FF VII is THE FIRST 3D FF IN THE SERIES. NOTHING YOU CAN SAY WILL CHANGE THAT.

I'll go on and on and on, until this thing is closed, just like the Aeris/Aerith argument.

6. NEXT!

1. There was no N64 demo.
    YouTube - Final Fantasy Tech Demo N64

You were saying?

Which FF Character Are You?

(SPOILER) This Signature STILL contains spoilers

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

grim07, you're making me laugh now because you keep acting like you've proven your points and are offering up irrefutable evidence and facts, yet you are as far from it as possible.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think what my man grim is trying to say is that FFVII set the trend for the following FF's. By no means was it 'expected' to go 3d as a 'natural progression', DQ (which birthed FF) only went 3d 2 years ago, and there are countless rpgs during and after VII's time that are 2d.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I think what my man grim is trying to say is that FFVII set the trend for the following FF's. By no means was it 'expected' to go 3d as a 'natural progression', DQ (which birthed FF) only went 3d 2 years ago, and there are countless rpgs during and after VII's time that are 2d.
    Except for the fact that there was a SGI demo years before FFVII was released. Can you honestly say that you didn't expect FF to go 3D? Note that Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are indeed two separate franchises.