Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and The order of the Phoenix (movie)

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Luna and Neville were the only ones I actually did like in the movie. Ron didn't even have a chance to be interesting because there. was. no. WEASLEY IS OUR KING. :[

I have a feeling that they ran out of money while doing the crazy special effects with the Death Eaters, so they decided to scrap even trying to include Quidditch, and instead used the same clips over for about an hour. I think my theory is quite accurate.

Lol, just finished watching it 30mins ago. Was prety good except I was expecting all those things on the wall :P. They just left some parts out, but oh well.

I say things just incase of spoiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Luna and Neville were the only ones I actually did like in the movie. Ron didn't even have a chance to be interesting because there. was. no. WEASLEY IS OUR KING. :[
    Neville was decent, except for the fact that they completely failed to even mention the parallels between he and Harry. (SPOILER)No prophecy, St. Mungo's, or Bellatrix. Just a mention of the fact his parents were tortured. Well thanks for that information guys.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, that last scene was such a disappointment.

(SPOILER)Harry: Hai dmbld0r so i guezz that 1 of us haz 2 dye?
    Dumbledore: Yup. It's cuz I luv you, k?

That wasn't it at all. :[

But yeah, it was a shame with Neville because he's a really good actor and plays Neville perfectly, but they don't give him any opportunity. Same as Ron. I don't know why he's even around anymore in the movies, he says 2 lines besides "BLOODY HELL!" maybe per movie.

But to say something positive, I really think the Umbridge was spot on. There was just... too much of her. xD

Yeah, she was good enough. My only criticism is that to me she was never menacing, and that the actress who portrayed her went a bit overboard on the smiling and girlyness. I was hoping for more of the toad look.

my gawd guys!! you really are laying into this one arnt yah!
    unfortunetly i havent seen the film yet but iv read the book so i dont mind the spoilers! i loved ootp my fav book of the serise and im totally bugged that i cant see the film yet!(as most of you know if you use irc!) but reading what you are saying i have to admit that im probably gonna be bummed as what iv seen in clips show me that they kept to the book on most parts!(speacaily umbridge) but apparently that most of it has been left out to!
    the quiditch was important i think and they left it out you say!??!
    nooooooo!
    Chos involvement was numbed down??!!
    what???
    the cho thing has totally pissed me off! when people see HBP they will be all like(SPOILER)what the hell! why is Ginny with harry now? What the hell happend to Cho?
    that fight with Cho was impotant!

p.s(really wanna see the film! please help me with copies!!)

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I try not to compare the movies to the books too much. There's no chance that it'll have everything, and I go in expecting it to miss quite a few things. I believe, however, that this movies missed many things that may very well become key plot points. Spoilers to follow, I suppose.

1. I was appalled that the conversation between Harry and the Dursleys about Dementors was dropped. Aunt Petunia's intervention in the conversation showed an important aspect of her character. She knows more about the wizarding world than she lets on, and we didn't get to see that in the movie.

2. Why the hell did they all but ignore everything that happens in Grimmauld Place before they go to Hogwarts? Kreacher was a last minute addition to the script 'cause Rowling told the director it was a bad idea to leave him out, but they left out the blasted locket! I had hoped that, perhaps, people with a little more insight into the series might have been working on the script. Anyone paying attention can figure out that it's very likely that the unopenable locket found in Grimmauld Place is the real Horcrux that Harry and Dumbledore meant to find in HBP.

3. Sure, leave out the two-way mirror after Rowling confirmed that it's going to return in book seven. Yeah, real smart.

4. "Give her hell for us, Peeves." Sure, the Weasley twins' grand exit was pretty cool, but it wasn't as grand as I would have hoped. They could have at least mentioned the Portable Swamp (which was cooler than the fireworks), and I'm severely disappointed that they didn't interact with Peeves at all.

5. I can't believe the Love Room is without significance. Skipping over that might have been a mistake. Time will tell.

6. Why the hell couldn't they just go ahead and give the whole prophesy? Seriously, it's only a couple extra lines. It also might have been a good idea to explain that Dumbledore was the one who heard it. Having Harry hear the prophesy from someone else was unnecessary, and it just means extra explaining in the next movie when its revealed that Snape was the one who overheard it. By the way, nice job with the complete lack of explanation at the end.

7. As far as I remember, Sirius was not hit with Avada Kedavra. He was blasted through the veil by a powerful curse. It might have been stupefy, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd have to go check, and I fully intend to. Either way, if, as many people suspect, the Deathly Hallows lie beyond the veil, having Sirius hit by the Avada Kedavra curse might pose a little problem, especially if the return of the two-way mirror has anything to do with Harry getting in touch with Sirius from beyond the Veil.

8. Completely truncating the ending is to be expected at this point, but I was still disappointed. There was a lot of oversimplification, and Harry was much too content after Sirius's death.

Naturally other things were cut out. While I, too, missed Weasley Is Our King, but some things had to be dropped, and Quidditch is an easy way as, in the grand scheme of things, it has little impact on the overall plot, even if it is one of the more amusing parts of the book.

I give them props for setting up the Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny relationships better than they have in previous movies. Although I don't exactly believe that the previous movies were shipping for Harry/Hermione, I think it's a good idea to get some serious foreshadowing in there, especially since those relationships begin to come together in the next book.

For someone who has only seen the movies and not read the books, I expect the movie was perfectly fine. For those of us who have read the books, we know how much was cut out, and that alone makes it a big disappointment. The only thing I really like about this movie is that they got the tone right. It was a huge step towards the darker themes pervading in the book.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

The thing that pissed me off with Kreacher (SPOILER)is that he is part of the whole reason that Sirius DIED! He's the reason then went to the Ministry of Magic. Hermoine told Harry that they needed to go into the fire to check (SPOILER)if Sirius was there to make sure it's not a trick, and if he wasn't there, they would go. Kreacher hurt Buckbeak due to Bellatrix's orders (remember how he left around Christmas?) (SPOILER)so that Sirius would stay in the attic, then he told Harry "Oh, Master is gone for many hours..." so that he'd leave. That whole thing was left out.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

They originally left Kreacher out of the movie entirely, so I'm glad we got to see him at all.

Articles

As others mentioned, comparing books to the movies can't exactly be done. Part of the reason I believe some things were left out were to encourage those who have only seen the movies to read the books. A lot of us would have loved to see scenes we thought were important, but maybe Rowling intentionally told the director to leave out some things. Overall I thought it was a great effort for the longest of the books. What didn't make sense to me was why the longest book had the shortest movie so far.

Things I think they got right:
    - Darker tone of the movie
    - Harry's inner struggle
    - The department of mysteries scene at the end was as good as any of us could have hoped for in a movie setting I think.
    - Voldemort. I can't help but love Ralph Fiennes as the Dark Lord
    - Umbridge & Filch were rather comical
    - Luna Lovegood is too cute

Things I wish I would've seen:
    - Kreacher's pivotal role near the end of the movie. And they practically made it there too! I was sure it was coming and then the scene just cuts off with the entrance of Umbridge.
    - Quidditch, but that was too be somewhat expected to be cut
    - Lack of divulging the whole prophecy
    - As far as I remember it was not an Avada Kedavra that hit Sirius

Also they decided during the first movie that Peeves would not make an appearance in any of them. His role in the books isn't very important. I'm pretty sure the spell was directed at Sirius by Bellatrix, but it was not an Avada Kedavra.

We'll see how David Yates handles the Half-Blood Prince.
    Last edited by CloudDragon; 07-12-2007 at 04:56 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

I looked up the part where Sirius dies. The spell cast was never specified. Bellatrix's first curse misses, and Sirius taunts her.

"He was laughing at her. 'Come on, you can do better than that!' he yelled, his voice echoing around the cavernous room. The second jet of light hit him squarely on the chest."

Then he falls backward through the Veil. It was merely a jet of light. Had it been the killing curse, I believe we certainly would have been given a clearer description, such as the instantly recognizable green burst of light.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

it was very dramatic.

The CG was pretty much awesome. A few things made me angry (kingsley saying Phinneas's line>:[ and then phinneas not being all stuck in disbelief at the end) in how they were not properly included, but it was a pretty solid movie.

you've all pretty much said everything except one thing that really bothers me

so at the beginning, Harry and Luna see the horse creatures and no one else can see them. Later they meet in the woods and see them again. Then next time, ALL of them are flying on them. When was it ever explained to Hermione/Ron etc about these creatures? So did they think they were just flying on air? Seriously like 2 minutes to explain that further would've made me feel better.

Either way 5th book dragged on, 5th movie felt rushed... the ultimate would be somewhere between the two.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Definitely the best one of the series. It felt like a movie, unlike some of the other ones. They conveyed Harry's pain pretty well, I thought, and perhaps it's just because I know the books too well, but the discussed jumpy and unexplained plot I thought was nonexistent. Probably because I knew it all, though.

I was expecting a bit more from the fight at the Ministry, but Dumbledore/Voldy's fight was good enough to make up for it. Not exactly sure why they had Sirius die an Avada Kedavra death and not the Stun Into the Veil death.

But a fun movie to see, and without a doubt the best in the series.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought the 4th movie was the best one, personally. They did a very good job with it. This one was probably the worst, in my opinion. After PoA of course.