Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best character set up for a newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD View Post
    Crossblades' party setup sounds good. Alternatively, you can equip Guy with Fists, which cause a lot of damage and are very inexpensive. Last time I played the game, I made Frioniel a White Mage with a staff, Maria a Black Mage with a knife/dagger and Guy a fighter with double axes. The fourth character was somewhat specialized already when you got him/her in your party. I think Leonhart had either a sword or a lance and a shield, and some low-level magic. A sword is recommended for one character, though, since Masamune and Blood Sword are really useful.

So, are you saying to have an additional Sword-user on top of Leon or just Leon alone is good?

Just as added input, I played the GBA and NES versions several times each, and here's what I think is the best setup for both.

Frionl/Firion - swords, shields, and black magic
    Maria - bows, white AND black magic
    Gus/Guy - axes, shields, and white magic
    Lionht/Leon - swords and shields, but he's also good with other weapons.

I reccomend shields because (correct me if I'm wrong) they up your evasion pretty good. Swords are almost a must, the best weapons are swords (like the Excalibur from the lady in Dist). The last boss and Astaroth both have hoooooge weaknesses to the Blood sword as well. Bows are the only ones that work in the back row, I'm almost certain (although putting Maria in the front row most of the time is a good idea, to up her HP and defense).

I'm not sure about the statistical differences, but this worked for me the best. In short, a sword-user is a must, and two characters with Cure is a must.