Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rikku's first impressions...

Quote Originally Posted by Harle-Quin View Post
    I don't want control. It's an RPG. You get a mage, a fighter, a ranger, and some random thing that no-one is sure what it is. That's how it should be.
    Yeah,that would be great.A decade ago!!!

The way i see it Sphere Grid was a step forward,and so was the License Board even though i wasn't 100% happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power View Post
    You people and your opinions make me sick!

Actually, scratch that. You people and your assumption that your opinion is right makes me sick. Seriously, listening to you people picking apart people's arguments as to why people like/don't like a guy and explain why they're wrong is just...poor form really.

Seriously guys, it's one thing to profess your love of a game, but to pull people's arguments apart just to reaffirm it? Get out more is all I'll say.
    o.O ...and you are SOOO much more grown up for berrating them??

Why even bother? They're just going to do it anyway. = P People have opinions. While I agree we don't need to pick out each other's flawed thinking - its just a discussion...no one is going to lose any knee caps here - I promise!! XD

unless we see each other =P
    I NEED SIG. I NEED SIG.
    CAN ANYONE GIVE ME? I'LLGIVE ALL MY LOVIN' TO THEE IF YOU GIVE ME. SIG. PLS??????
    :mog: :mog:

(SPOILER)PEE KA BOO!

Alright...I will admit that, at the moment, I'm not very interested in Final Fantasy XII either. I have loved FF X, VII, VI, and even, to an extent, X-2. I have also played FF VIII, IX, and IV, and though I have not finished any of these, I have really enjoyed what I have seen in them.
    Now, I can't remember how far I got in XII before I lost interest...perhaps maybe an hour or two after you go to the Viera village...This game has yet to pique my interest. I understand that we all have different tastes when it comes to games, and since I see that many people in this thread are comparing X and XII, I will admit that my tastes are probably closer to the sentimentality of X.

Now, I know that I am not as well-versed in FFs as many of you here. I have not really played any of the earlier ones, nor have I played any of the Tactics titles (which I hear are similar to XII). Yet, every single FF that I have played, IV-X has had charm. The most important aspect of a FF to me is attachment to the characters. After all, you're controlling these people for 40-60 hours! In every game I have grown to love the characters. One grows to know them as fictional people. Even in FF IV, which I didn't get far in AT ALL (I think I just had to find a black chocobo),I was very abruptly drawn in by its characters. I symphathized with Tellah over Anna, and I pitied poor Edward after she was killed. Kain and Cecil are fascinating! Yes, I'm playing to see how the overall plot will be solved, but I'm also playing to see what happens to these characters. XII's characters, IMO, leave something to be desired. As a result of what seems to be underdeveloped characterization, XII's overall story seems to fall flat. I feel no desire to play because I do not care about what happens to these characters. I feel as though I don't know much about them! It seems to me that, since FF XII is attempting a political storyline, it has fewer opportunities to realistically link its characters to the action. But I keep finding myself wishing that Vaan, Penelo, Fran, etc. were doing more than just observing political strife. Eh...this is post is getting long and garbled.
    Yes, I could be very wrong...maybe the XII will get better. I'm hoping it will. I also have to say: why all the vitriol against FF X and FF VII?

So much arguing over such a simple difference in opinions. Oh well, it can't be helped I guess.

I'm not gonna argue anybody else's opinions, but while we are on the topic of FF12 ...& 10

Ive been a huge Final Fantasy fan for years, and years, however due to being raised in a slightly poor family, and not having a job when I was younger, I couldn't afford the PS2 until just last January.

I played all the final fantasy games up until they moved onto PS2 with X. Then, I was cut off like an alcoholic in a bar. I ended up replaying all of the old FF titles, and other classic RPG's over and over again. Some too many to count. Until finally in January of 2007 I bought a PS2 and on that same day I also purchased both FF10 and FF12, with absolutely no knowledge of either game besides what I had seen on tv.

I forced myself to play through 10 before 12 since 12 was far prettier and probably made huge advancements. I didn't want to taint my experience with 10 by doing it immediately after beating 12.

I heard so much hype about 10 over the years, and personally, even though it focused a lot on the story, and went a little farther then other games have in the past. I wasn't really blown away like I imagined I would be from the trailers, and reviews, and pictures. Maybe its just because I spent so much time stuck with the previous generations of Final Fantasy games, and other RPG's, but it didn't grab hold of me in the same way. Perhaps it would have been different if I had played it back when it first came out. I dunno. So before anyone thinks I am another FF10 fanboy, you can forget that assumption

When it came to 12... I had so much expectation for this game. All the built up hype on tv, and the internet, it looked and sounded beautiful. The world appeared to be "my dream fantasy world". The voice acting was amazing, and the game looked so smurfing beautiful!
    With all these things it had going for it, including a new and interesting battle system, I wanted to bad so love this game and enjoy it. I kept playing all the way up until the end constantly waiting, and hoping it would capture me. But in the end, it just left me wanting more. In my "personal opinion" the game felt incredibly dry and shallow. Even though there were tons of side quests to do, and a large world of enemies to explore. For me, an RPG has always been about the story, and the characters and their growth, more then graphics, or cool new battle concepts. That's why we all loved and played through those long 2D turn based, repetitive-battle RPG's growing up.

It just felt to me like they put all of their effort into making the game look and play nice, and never had any time to invest in the actual core of what makes a good Final Fantasy. Don't get me wrong now, I don't believe all games need to have a hugely drawn out sappy love story. There is nothing wrong with taking a slightly more political, approach to things. Other games have done it in the past, but succeeded.

I also don't have a problem with changes in the games template, like chocobos, or moogles, or whatever else. However there is always still those defining things in all final fantasy titles that allow it to maintain a certain structure, and yet still allow it to change many other aspects, making each game totally different.

The battle system was pretty cool I think. It was something new. However I still almost prefer the old fashioned, stand in a line in the battle mode and take turns hacking away at each other. There are many ways of expanding on this method, or making it more fast paced, so you can quickly land in battle and be done with it in a second, or hit one command and be out of battle. You don't need all the fancy STAT screens at the end of every fight either.

With FF12 I enjoyed being able to wander around freely, and dodge enemies, and explore without being thrown into the same battle screen over and over again, breaking up the game play, but when it came down to actual fighting, or boss fights. I just wasn't too fond of it. It felt like it was just the exact same battle system as always only I would run around aimlessly in a certain area, which never really gave me any advantage like avoiding certain attacks. Plus you still had the time bar, so you would have to choose your moves just like you always did, and still you would have to wait for a time gauge to fill. Really one of the only significant differences was that you could run around a particular ares, and get different angles of the battle, and so could your enemy, making it slightly more involving. But then of course, there was also the fact that now your entire party could sit and hack away with gambits all at the same time, without slowly going through each persons turn. However I miss the strategy that used to be involved where you had to think ahead, and cure because the enemy's turn was coming next and if you didn't you were screwed. On top of everything, when you got in a boss fight or something in FF12, it was a little over the top with commotion, hard to see anything happening, and build a mood from it. It was like BAM your in a fight with a boss, and then there is flying everywhere and sounds coming from your tv, and a giant red HP bar, and then before you know it bang, its all over again and you casually walk away.

I found any of the battles in Lufia, Lunar, Chrono Trigger, or Breath of Fire to be far more intense than anything in FF12. The suspense was excruciating! It would all build up with such intensity and then wham! the screen shatters into little peaces and the intense boss music would begin blasting away, and you start hacking away at each other taking caution with every turn, because one slip up could mean the end, and each and every single turn the boss took, was intense, because you had to sit and wait and let it happen, and watch the damage land on your head, before you could react. It might be a huge devastating hit, or a miss, or maybe he would do something weak. I remember sweating for long periods of time during those kinds of fights.

FF12... I barely remember each one... It happens to quick and forceful. it leaves you feeling raped or violated, and confuised haha.

This might sound kind of stupid, or hypocritical, considering we are talking about final fantasy here but... When I played FF12, the best way I can summarize the entire game is, "cross the plains of [blank] get to the temple of [blank], obtain the [blank] form within this temple, then cross the plains/desert/woods of [blank], all while being cut up in the middle with little shallow bits of story that are hard to follow, and hard to get involved in, overshadowed by amazingly beautiful graphics and cut scenes, and very impressive voice acting.
    I realize this is the case for most Final Fantasy games, however, there is generally a greater emphasis on the characters, and your party, and their journey (the story) that allows you to get really involved. On top of that, when your "crossing the plains of [blank]" in almost all of the other titles, it didn't feel like you were actually doing that, because lets face it. That's rather boring... In FF12, you literally had to cross over vast landscapes, that although very beautiful, got very tedious, very quickly I think.
    In the end I felt like I kind of wasted a lot of time. I enjoyed myself I guess. But I felt bored for most of the time, and I didn't seem to take a lot away from that game where you could talk about different parts in the story with your friends like I used to do in school when I was younger. I just wish I had rented it, instead of paying $60. I probably shouldn't have bought FF10 either for that matter, as Ive only ever felt the need to play through it once. However I still find myself wanting to play over and over again, the previous generations of the Final Fantasy series. Am I crazy?

Anyhow, thats just my opinion on the game. Not really a huge fan of 10 either. It was alright.
    We may be human. But we're still animals...