Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people think the voice acting is bad?

Default Why do people think the voice acting is bad?

I thought everyone's voice suited their personalities well, but(!) everyone's voice was so different from one another that it gets "annoying" getting used to the variance in voices during cutscenes. Is this why everyone thinks the VA in this game is bad?

I thought Yuna's voice acting was bad. Nobody else seemed to bother me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because people are picky and like to whine about insignificant things.

I enjoyed all of the characters' voices except Tidus's, although after playing through the game you kinda get used to it. At least Tidus puts emotion into his voice, unlike Vaan from FFXII, who sounds like he has a cold all the time.

Admittedly, I was too busy reading the subtitles to worry about the mismatched lip syncing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Because people are picky and like to whine about insignificant things.

I enjoyed all of the characters' voices except Tidus's, although after playing through the game you kinda get used to it. At least Tidus puts emotion into his voice, unlike Vaan from FFXII, who sounds like he has a cold all the time.

Admittedly, I was too busy reading the subtitles to worry about the mismatched lip syncing thing.

I agree, Vaan is an emotional stone. Seriously, Tidus actually expresses his emotions. He's not afraid to hide them, plus during the game, he really does grow up. I love the guy!
    "There's gotta be some kind of way we can save you, Yuna!"
    Rikku, in the Zanarkand Ruins...

"This, is your world now."
    Auron, inside Sin...

Wakka, Rikku, Tidus, Kimahri, Lulu, and Auron are all done by professional voice actors that have been in other things nobody ever bitches about. I would blame any woes with Tidus on the voice director for making him play the part very high-pitched through a large portion of the journey. Ours sounds better than the Japanese VA in my opinion, so what can ya do.

Yuna is done by a regular actress...I think she's really good, she just had to read the lines in awkward fashions to match the lips a lot of the time.

If you took the Final Fantasy title away, people would have probably been much more lenient with it. If you want to hear some truly bad voice-acting, go play the first Baten Kaitos on the Gamecube. That will make you appreciate how much work went into this game to find good voices.

i didn't dilike the voice acting, i actually thought it was quite good. although the lip syncing wasn't anything special.

Why do you imprison your saviour?

According to an FAQ on GameFAQs, the Japanese version's lipsync was off too, not that I remember where it was. Possibly a script translation guide or something.

Anyway, this is why I hate the voice acting.

There's these awkward pauses in between every single line.

Also, the characters talk so slowly that you will be done reading the subtitle before they even say the first few words.

Japanese sentences tend to vary in length in comparison to English ones. There are times where twenty Japanese words will translate back to about ten in English, and vice versa.

Because Square were a bit lazy, they didn't make any... adjustments... to the game... in order to let the... English dialogue... flow more nicely.

Then... we end up with this... long pauses... in the middle of a goddamn sentence.

I hope you... have a good way to... keep yourself occupied... during all this.

Especially you, Yunalesca! I didn't LISTEN to your speech, I just pulled my laptop out and played on DOOM!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

They had a lot of difficulty matching the words to the lips because Japanese sentences are much longer than English, so they often had...to talk...like...this...orsometimesreallyfastlikethis. Auron's VA didn't have as much trouble because his mouth was covered most of the time.

i had no problem with the voice acting cause i grew up with damn bad dubbing of martial arts movies
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

the voice acting was good and i had no problem with it, but i much prefer the classic dialouge
    also i only found out not long ago that Wakkas voice is the same guy who did Benders voice on futurama

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure why people thought the dialogue was bad, it was mostly the lip synching that was bad, as said before.

I was surprised when I found out Wakka and Kimahri were voiced by the same peson though.

Banned

My favourites are the voices for Auron, Lulu and Kimahri, because they always did a great job.

The others are good as well, but they all make some irritating mistake at some point in the game.
    Tidus is very annoying the first few hours of the game, Wakka sounds kinda bad during the line "damn!... great day I'm having" thing in the Bikanel Desert, and Yuna sounds way too nice and calm during the moments when she's supposed to be mad.
    Oh, and Rikku acts way too much like Sephie during the latter parts of the game; I liked her much better on that Al Bhed ship, because back then she was actually likable, and she still had that Rikku-charm anyway.

...but in the end, the voice acting is truly nice and perfectly makes the FF series justice.

YouTube - Tidus and Yuna laugh...out loud?

Also, a whole game filled with Tidus' horrible voice TALKING ALL THE TIME is way too much.

It's funny that they got professional voice actors for the characters that spoke less. Wakka is voiced by the same guy that did Bender from Futurama and Rikku's VA did almost all the cartoons i liked so it's pretty awesome. Then there's Yuna's voice that sounds like she's out of breath all the time. Tidus wasn't that annoying until he started screaming.

the only voices i liked were wakka and rikku.
    Signature removed for exceeding the 250 pixel height limit.

~Void