Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Necron?

Default Necron?

So I've heard that Necron is somehow alluded to throughout FF9 (saw it briefly mentioned in another topic). Can anyone please explain this, or tell me where in the game I can expect to find evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    So I've heard that Necron is somehow alluded to throughout FF9 (saw it briefly mentioned in another topic). Can anyone please explain this, or tell me where in the game I can expect to find evidence?
    In Terra, when Garland is talking about the Iifa Tree. He say that the true form of the tree is not in the physical world.
    After Kuja kill your party in the Crystal World, you fight against the true form of the tree(Necron) in the spiritual world. This is why the tree die after Necron is defeated.

Well, this is news to me...I feel bloody ignorant now >.<

Makes sense, though.

touch down, new ground, stop living on the moon

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    In Terra, when Garland is talking about the Iifa Tree. He say that the true form of the tree is not in the physical world.
    After Kuja kill your party in the Crystal World, you fight against the true form of the tree(Necron) in the spiritual world. This is why the tree die after Necron is defeated.
    That's from the gameFAQs "plot analysis" thing, right? because I have some issues with that.

Necron specifically says: "I exist for one purpose: To return everything to the zero world, where there is no life and no crystal to give life." Now, Garland said the Iifa Tree's purpose is to trap Gaia's souls so Terra can assimilate it. How is that like returning everything to the "zero world"? It isn't.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dr Tot also mentions something about an unspeakably powerful threat to all existence, that was sealed away in the distant past. Something like that, I don't recall the details.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default What is the plural form of analysis?

Squall of SeeD's plot analysises aren't canon.

Wait, wait, so when soulcage was talking, it was that face Necron???

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Soulcage was, I think, created by the people of Terra as part of their plan for assimilating Gaia. It was meant to process and syphon off the souls of Gaia, in order to - eventually - give them a largely empty world to take over.
    Necron, though, seems to be a naturally-occurring, universal force.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

The Iifa tree theory makes the most sense to me and I find it very acceptable. It would explain why the Iifa Tree died in the end.

Of course, Necron's words are very similiar to Garland's, except that Necron wants to return everything to zero (which is indeed not what Garland wanted). Could it be, because Garland died, that Necron kind off started to think for himself (if he is indeed the Spiritual Core of the Iifa tree and thus created by Garland(?)) and in the end formed his own theory of his purpose?

No, I don't believe the True Form of the Iifa Tree theory. As has been said, "Merge Gaia with Terra" and "Return everything to the zero-world" are radically different purposes.

So thus far, Necron's still just a crappy cop-out that appears out of nowhere

FFXIV Character

No, I don't believe the True Form of the Iifa Tree theory. As has been said, "Merge Gaia with Terra" and "Return everything to the zero-world" are radically different purposes.

So thus far, Necron's still just a crappy cop-out that appears out of nowhere
    Who knows? Maybe Garland controlled Necron in a way. But as you know, Garland died when Zidane entered the Crystal World. Necron then exagerated things, when he saw Kuja's actions. Only then. And he began to form his own theory instead of following Garland's.

I don't believe he's an out-of-nowhere Final Boss. And even if he would be according to you, explain why the Iifa Tree died when Necron was defeated.

Well that I understand, but

I exist for one purpose
    doesn't mean two purposes: To cycle the souls blah blah blah AND return everything to the zero world. He said one. I recall the Iifa Tree's "cataclysmic destruction of Gaia" being mentioned elsewhere in the game, so what I also don't get is why the Iifa Tree doesn't take Gaia with it.

I've been reading the plot analysis on GameFAQs, but the evidence supposedly presented throughout the game is all far too vague. The whole point of Sakaguchi's wish to "tell stories" should mean just that: We're supposed to be hearing/reading a story, not guessing one.

If the Iifa Tree theory is true then fair enough, but it means they've done a horrible job of telling the story: The idea that Necron was just some random dude out of nowhere was pretty much what we all saw when we in school (I was 16) finished the game for the first time and we panned the crap out of it for that reason. The evidence is there, but the evidence sucks and is too vague.

This does now answer my question though: Yes, apparently Necron is alluded to throughout the game, but they did a bad job of telling us.

Blog Entries

Yes, apparently Necron is alluded to throughout the game, but they did a bad job of telling us.
    exactly

FFXIV Character

Or maybe they didn't want to tell and leave him as a big question mark. This happened before, no? Does NeoExDeath ring a bell? He was even more sudden and unexplained than Necron (still loved him, though).

Either way, he was still an great Final Boss (IMHO) with some awesome music (IMO) and one hell of an annoying attack (Grand Cross).

I think it wouldn't have felt right if they just had let it end with Trance Kuja and it wouldn't feel right either if Kuja transformed again. So I was kinda glad Necron appeared (though I was spoiled, I knew he would appear).

I just interpreted NeoExDeath as another form of ExDeath, now with a slightly less poorly thought out cliché name than before.