Thread: Harry Potter Virgin here. Could someone please list the books in order?

Default Harry Potter Virgin here. Could someone please list the books in order?

I'm a harry potter virgin. Never read a book, which is odd considering my background as a literary major, and tutor/soon to be a teacher in that particular field. With the final book released I'm planning on reading the series now, courtesy of used book stores selling the older titles.

So I'm wondering, could you harry potter fans list the books in order, and give them each your own personal, spoiler free (or at least spoiler marked) comment on each. I heard the first book is pretty much entirely skippable and you wouldn't miss anything.

1st: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. In this one, Harry finds out he's a wizard and finds a little bit about his past, while balancing responsibilities and privileges given to new wizards.

2nd: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. In this book, Harry...well, the title pretty much explains the gist of it.

3rd: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Harry finds out (SPOILER)he has a godfather and is in jail for "killing" Harry's parents

4th: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. A tournament is held at Harry's school in which 3 seventh years are chosen to take place in. Somehow, Harry was entered. (He's a fourth year)

5th: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Haven't finished it, however, don't let the title throw you off.

6th: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Haven't gotten started.

7th: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. Don't even own it.

for someone to tell you to miss the first installment is ludicrous.

i think you should read it for yourself to make that judgement on your own. i think it's the smallest book anyway so it could be read in a couple of hours.

i recommend this series to anyone. ever. always.

i just finished book seven and this series will always be close to my heart

the potter books are a must own for anyone!
    hp and the philosphers stone: the 1st in the serise it introduces harry to the world of wizards and explains the begining of harrys story! good book.

hp and the chamber of seacrets: harry returns for his second year at hogwarts to find that the school is under attack by a mystrious force
    good book

hp and the prizoner of azkanban: the wizardinf world is uder threat as the notrius sirius black escapes the wizard prison one of the best

hp and the goblet of fire: harry is chosen to become a part of a tornement called the tri wizard tornamentgood but not as good as poa

hp and the order of the phonix: harry and the school are under the control od the ministry 2nd best of the books

hp and the half blood prince: harry and dumbledor are on a mission to find out about the dark lord 3rd best of the books

hp and the deathly hallows: harry embarks on his most dangeous adventure yet! the best one!

sorry about the spelling! but if you love magic you will love these books!

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wouldn't consider these great works of literary merit (they're reasonably well-written, but nothing great) but they are all entertaining stories. The fantastic element in general is fairly kiddy, definitely not up to the standards of, say, Tolkein (although I will note that I would always, ALWAYS read a Harry Potter book before Tolkien because I can't stand his style, whereas Rowlings I don't mind).

One of the major things to understand about Harry Potter is it's place as a cultural phenomenon, something that we probably won't see again for many years, if not decades.

I would go in expecting a reasonably interesting series. Don't expect too much, or you'll likely end up disappointed at best.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Books 1-3: Harry is a little kid and acts as such
    Books 4-6: Harry is a teenager and acts as such
    Book 7: Harry is an adult and acts as such.

It's important to keep that in mind when you read the books, otherwise you won't be able to empathize with him as well!

Don't skip the first book; whoever said that is silly. Book one sets the whole background for everything that takes place in later novels, and it's a pretty fun read, if not great literature. As is the same with all the books.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The first 4 books, the magic is magical. It's lovely and fun and charming. A really fun foray into the wizarding world.

The remaining Harry Potter books, the magic becomes dangerous. And there are fewer and fewer instances of magic being made joyful.

I think the first few books were more entertaining, the latter books more.. gripping.

The first book is essential to understanding how much was lost later on in the series. You have to experience the fun and glee of entering into Hogwarts if you want to care about how the students and the school itself suffer later on.

Besides, the first book is not long. You can finish it in a few short hours. Don't skip it.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

The books are flitting little fantasies for the most part, but do sometimes say something profound, though it sometimes comes forced or quite demure.

There are some ideas that are notable, but for the most part, fail to become anything more profound than children's tales. But these are a series of books to simply - as some put it - "escape" into a magical world that is laid bluntly (for the most part) that is rife with one scene of action to the next.

The series sometimes dips into mystery - as any book of fantasy ought to - but the reader is never expected to ponder the secrets long or thoroughly, as the tales always reveal their secrets. But again, these are not books for sleuths and mystery enthusiasts, but rather for the casual reader who simply wishes to read a book that captures their attention or cage their boredom.

In short, do not expect this series to be full of literary genius, but rather indulge in the fact that these books are easily accessible. There are many characters in the Potter universe, and numerous creatures and magicks, but they pale in comparison to some other writers' universes. But Rowling is not on a mission to create such a vast universe that its mere girth eclipses our own; rather, she seems more set on creating one that has just enough to have the reader wonder, muse, and perhaps even wish.

As with any series, it is best to read all of them, and much more importantly, in order. The Potter are books are incredibly easy, simple reads, and as such, ought not take more than a day or two's time per book. The first three or four books ought to hold your attention aptly, with very few sections that seem to slow. However, from then on up, the pacing becomes somewhat haphazard, particularly in the seventh book.

I. This is what began it all. You are introduced to Harry, his future friends, enemies, and a world of magical beings, mythos, and secrets begins to unfold before both Harry and the reader. A very nice, light-hearted and yet engaging installment.

II. Building on where the last book left off, this book begins to give the reader a sense that things are beginning to develop towards something much, much greater than just a few mysteries.

III. The reader gets a glimpse at various things from the past that have a profound affect on the present and future. The first actual threat to the entirety of the Wizarding World is seen here.

IV. The book centers around a famous tournament, in which Harry is mysteriously involved in. Dumbeldore's connection with Harry begins to truly flourish in this book, which then gives the reader a sort of reverence and awe at how cryptic The Headmaster can be, and yet at the same time, seem very wise.

V. A very climatic ending is seen in this book. This is where the reader begins to see into what the Ministry of Magic does - and hears. The tone of the books begins to take a heavier slant than before, effectively beginning to detach itself from the innocent nature that Harry has once had.

VI. Finally, there is a true, definite mission set before Harry and his friends to seek out how to dismantle the Dark Lord. This book has a very seek and find, retrieve and return feel about it. To retain the reader's interest, a rather generous amount of back story is given in between. This book also houses a truly climatic scene involving various notables.

VII. Ah, the conclusion. There is a panicked rush to halt the Dark Lord's task, but the secrets are terribly elusive to those that seek them. All the loose ends are wrapped up and tied - though many are left in rather bad, forced knots by the end of it. The darkest, and most climatic of the books by far.

As for my personal opinion, I found the 3rd installment of this series to be my favourite, followed closely by the 4th and 5th. I found the 7th and 6th to be rather dull, and the 2nd to be slightly sub par.

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

No! You must preserve your virginity to this imperious franchise!

Why not try guessing the order and reading the books in that fashion? You might have more fun that way
    ...Geddit?

The books are a work of art as we read about a young boy and his friends and how theygrow together in wisdom and strenght in oder to defeat the dark lord.
    PLEASE read the first book but if you dont wont to watch the movie it will give you the highlights from the book but not all of it though.
    Happy reading
    oh if you pick up a copy of any of the books it gives them in order anyway

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Read them in reverse order.

There is stuff in the first book that comes into play during the last, though I will say the last four books could almost be their own series.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Should you decide to watch the movies and not read the books, at least read Deathly Hallows after you've seen the sixth movie, there are so many wonderful things that could never ever be translated into a cinematic experience.