Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the ending FMV (finishing the game before reading is helpful)

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

I liked the ending FMV with the part of Rinoa's introduictory in the ball room looping over and over again put me in as trance almost. The camcorder parts were cool too.

Yellow Winged Angel

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Sephiroth View Post
    GOSH! Your second thought is very horrible and such pessimistic...Squall is dead and Rinoa gone insane!!! It's very terrible ending if its a REAL FF!! And any of the FFs didn't have so sad endings...
    Have you played Final Fantasy X? (SPOILER)Tidus was completely erased from existance. That's a lot sadder than someone dying. And don't bring up Final Fantasy X-2 because originally, it wasn't planned.

If they can do something sad like that, I believe they can kill off Squall to make a point. I think the reason most people here don't agree with me is that they don't want to believe it. Therefore they convince themselves not to believe it. I really didn't want to believe it myself before I realized it made perfect sense to kill off Squall. It completed the final message of the story.

I never said Rinoa goes insane. That was Trisdyn. But she loved him enough to dream about him. You can't say you've never had dreams about people who are dead. I'm sorry, but this is the only way I can read the ending. Any other way just doesn't make sense to me.
    I almost quote Trsydin's post, as you can see in the one post before...
    Yes, I played and beat Final Fantasy X but you know there is a second part of that sad story. I wish Squall could do FFs with sad endings but never every single FF game end with a happiness (not FFX, I agree...)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    If they can do something sad like that, I believe they can kill off Squall to make a point. I think the reason most people here don't agree with me is that they don't want to believe it. Therefore they convince themselves not to believe it. I really didn't want to believe it myself before I realized it made perfect sense to kill off Squall. It completed the final message of the story.
    And it's not possible that the only reason you believe this is that you want there to be a certain message at the end of the game so you interpret the ending the way you do so that the ending means what you want it to mean?

You said something about Rinoa in a black dress?

Mmmm....

This is from the last video. I don't know what you are seeing, but I'm seeing blue.

This is her showing Squall the shooting star. Notice she's looking to the right, which is in conjuction with her in the home video:

The only person in a black dress in the ending is this person:

This is Edea. Her hair is far too long to be Rinoa's, and it doesn't have the blonde streaks. And I seriously doubt Quistis would have bowed to Rinoa upon greeting her.

The whole point of a story is that something changes, something is found out, something is saved....something. If the journey Squall goes through leads him to not change anything about him at all....then there's not point to this story as far as Squall is concerned. The point of this story is that Squall's thoughts on life are wrong, and this journey shows him slowly but surely come to that realization. Otherwise, there's no story in the eyes of Squall.

And isn't it possible that Squall is not in the home video because he's outside standing next to Rinoa and the wall he's standing infront of is blocking the camera from seeing him?
    Last edited by SeeDRankLou; 07-30-2007 at 05:47 AM.

I never said Rinoa goes insane. That was Trisdyn. But she loved him enough to dream about him. You can't say you've never had dreams about people who are dead. I'm sorry, but this is the only way I can read the ending. Any other way just doesn't make sense to me.
    07-28-2007 09:19 PM
    Unfortunately, the ending in no way indicates that Rinoa was merely dreaming of Squall. When [spoilers]Tidus faded[/spoilers] in FFX, it was made abundantly clear that that's what happened. Yet we are offered nothing in the ending FMV that indicates Squall actually died. In fact, everything about the ending FMV points in the other direction. The only argument you've given as to why you think Squall dies is that it complies to your understanding of the games message. I think SeeDRankLou addressed that point curtly.

As for FFX, that "sad ending" was entirely different. [spoilers]A central running theme of FFX was that of self-sacrifice (embodied most obviously in the summoners journey). Tidus fading away was just the ultimate culmination of this, so his fading away fits obviously in with the themes of the game. It was a sacrifice he made to save Spira, and thus is "sad", but not "morbid" or "depressing".[/spoilers]

In FF8, a central theme is about overcoming your past (embodied in Ellone's quest), so Squall dying because he in fact wasn't meant to do that would be against the entire game, which is basically Squall's journey to get over his tragic past. Further, if Squall died, why on earth would Square make the most happy ending FMV in an FF ever (bar perhaps FF9) and make no indications as to his death? Why would they show him kissing Rinoa without indicating at all that it was a dream?

FFX's ending makes sense. Your interpretation of FF8's doesn't.
    Last edited by Sir Bahamut; 07-31-2007 at 01:43 AM.

Okay, I hate Rinoa. [Sorry fans]

But I loved the ending.

=D

You hate Rinoa?????Are yu serious, she is the most cutest main female characther in all FFs...She is cute she is beautiful and so when she smiles ...anyway...
    In the end of FFVIII, Squall did not DIE... First, if Squall dead, the whole party that they making was ridicoulus... And second, Rinoa really kissing Squall in the end...

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

Ceej's ideas interested me.

I've played ff8 a million times over, I dont have a favourte final fantasy, I dont think you can compare them in that way but 8 is the game I've played most.

When I first saw the ending I was sure he survived and we had a "lived happy ever after" ending but the second time I beat the game I wasnt sure if that was true. Now I'm confident it is true and he did survive.

For the last sequence to be a dream we would need another sequence after it to confirm its a dream, its traditional in games and films to follow up a dream with reality. We know that all the other characters and that Rinoa survived from the cam corder bit and the only person we dont see is Squall, its basically Square trying to make us have a guess, did he die? Everyone was a bit too cheerful for that and when someone dies, you dont stare at the sky and smile, do you? They cleverly waited untill after the long credits to keep people on edge weither Squall had died or not and it came to a conclusion that he didnt, he is seen, he smiles, he kisses a living person and the screen pans far away.

The games story relied on the basis of friendship and having an almost mental link with friends, that they wouldn't get back alive without the help of their friends. Squall is seperated from his friends and almost dies, staying true to what would have happened untill he is found by Rinoa, whos facial expressions turns from grief to suprise when the clouds disappear and she sees the garden he done all that promising lark.

Thats why I cant say Squall died. Dreams need follow-ups to be shown its not reality and for a game as complex as final fantasy it wouldnt make sense not to do so.
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

I always thought that Squall was the one video recording it for a short time. You know, after Irvine is talking to Quistis and stuff.
    The below sentence is true.
    The above sentence is false.

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    I always thought that Squall was the one video recording it for a short time. You know, after Irvine is talking to Quistis and stuff.
    Nope, first Selphie was recording and then, Irvine take out camera...

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm going to say that Ceej is completely wrong here too, Squall lives, firstly we have him trying to remember Rinoa's face but failing he tries to remember other things too but it all gets mixed up, the dollet mission, the edea assasination, but primarily the dance with Rinoa. Then Rinoa in space...so on and so on. Rinoa is grieving at first but then the light shaft and clouds roll back, the ground turns in to the plains of centra where the orphanage is, she's then looking at Squall with surprise and joy, we can assume from that expression, SHE had nothing or very little to do with the sudden change there. Cut to Seifer who whilst angry that Rajin can catch fish whilst he can't then laughing as Fujin kicks him off the pier turns to look at Garden whilst Fujin is at attention, Rajin stops trying to climb out Seifer is left standing there looking up with what can only be described as a sad smile but I don't think he'd be overly sad if Squall died I mean the two tried to kill each other pretty much from the start of the game. Cut to Laguna and Ellone, they don't appear overly sad as Garden passes overhead infact they seem surprised but happy to see it, Laguna quite obviously is Squalls dad if your son died aged 17 or so and died in a horrible lonely death fighting to save you all would you be happy? I doubt it. Then we have the camcorder film, the battery kicks out but we then see Rinoa and Squall kiss he seems to be standing off to the right hand side of the balcony, the doorway wall blocks this from where Irvine had the camera pointed at Rinoa from yet Selphie probably could see through the doorway to Squall too. Maybe as per usual he turns up late for the party?

In some ways there are some things that would suggest that Squall dying makes sense, but there is one thing that renders all such statements null and void, no matter what argument you present....and that is the fact that they are having a PARTY at the end. If Squall died do you really think everyone would forget about him and celebrate while Rinoa has halucinations of him on the balcony? I think NOT.

Ceej's stupidity amazes and makes me laugh at the same time. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. "You guys are all wrong and don't want to accept the fact that he's dead; it goes well with my personal interpretation of the game, therefore I will say that it was a dream." Seriously? Are you kidding me? It's the exact opposite, YOU don't want to accept the fact that he's alive because it doesn't follow your interpretation of the game. YOU get over it. Squall kissing Rinoa was as much of a dream as (SPOILER)Aeris's death was.

I don't care if you wanted Squall to die, it's the fact that you're changing the events of the game (with terrible excuses I might add) to make it coincide with your personal opinions.
    Last edited by Xurts; 08-13-2007 at 10:24 PM.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xurts View Post
    Squall kissing Rinoa was as much of a dream as (SPOILER)Aeris's death was.
    very cruel to include Aeris.. still bit of a soft spot.

but you were spot on!(very much pun intended)

if you think squall isnt real then you are actually making up stories to kill him off.. why on earth would you want to kill him off?.. anyway..

the fact that it came after the credits is just proof that he was alive.. same thing happend after FF7 credits.. they want to make it clear that it's a happy ending. If u think differently, think again!

Children, be nice to each other! I don't want this thread closed and my fellow EoFF members in therapy.

I don't think Squall died. Like many people have said already, I think Square would make it more obvious if he had died, and not all cheery-like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
    Children, be nice to each other! I don't want this thread closed and my fellow EoFF members in therapy.

I don't think Squall died. Like many people have said already, I think Square would make it more obvious if he had died, and not all cheery-like.

Amen brother