Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obsessed Much?

Default Obsessed Much?

Seriously. What the hell makes Naruto so great?
    I hate it. I've watched it and I hate it.
    If you can say anything besides "it's cool." "the animation is nice." or "it's cool when they fight & powers & stuff like that."
    Then post. Otherwise, you're wasting my time and you should think about the question I asked.
    Naruto sucks.

Woah, settle down there big fella. Some people like different things.

I for one, have only ever seen one movie of Naruto, and it was okay.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

The animation is nice

I don't find anything of interest or genius in Naruto. There are so many other animes out there that are far superior, but alas, that don't seem to get as much attention as things like Naruto.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think Naruto is another example of an anime/manga series that becomes a victim of its own popularity, and loses overall quality once the storylines are stretched out forever. I remember really enjoying the earlier chapters, but then I believe during that silly tournament thing that's when the story arcs just became unbearably long. And then there's the filler...

I still think the characters are quite charming though. But you can imagine my confusion watching a current episode only having seen the first 50 of them.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I find Naruto fascinating cause the series always tries to keep the perspective that they are all expendable soldiers. It could have been light fluff like One Piece with pirates but rather Naruto chooses to show a darker and grittier side to things.

Considering it's a series targeted towards 12-15 year olds I find this to be rather refreshing (I'm one of those people who doesn't believe children are incapable of understanding certain truths about the world. Children are only stupid cause people treat them like they are stupid. End Rant)

I do feel the anime really drags things out (once again, this is why I prefer manga. It's faster to digest and I feel the overall pacing flows better) but compared to other series of the action genre I am constantly surprised how much thought was actually put into the world and story. I feel the characters are easy to identify with cause so many of them have such great level of detail to their personalities and though most people may never go through their traumas, their problems are not so far fetched that the audiance can lose the ability to identify with them.

We have all felt like outcasts (Naruto), alot of people understand personal lost (Kakashi) and the isolation it creates (Sasuke). I'm certain everyone has felt trapped by the roles they play (Neji) and some of us try so hard and never seem to go anywhere (Lee) and many of us have felt overlooked(Hinata). These are just a few ways the cast is shown to be vulnerable human beings.

Even the villains come off as less evil and though their methods are wrong, I can't blame them for the path they chose. Orochimaru tries to obtain immortality, not really for power or to rule the world but so he can have all the time to learn everything. Itachi's motive is still unclear, he says he wished to test his capabilities but going over the episodes again I feel he has another motive instead. Zabuza himslef is reformed and makes peace with himself before dying and Gaara is more of a victim than evil. Even Sasuke's struggle of choosing a happy life over his revenge is rather dramatic.

The battles vary, but I love the sheer variety and creativity in them. Yeah they have a few DBZ style mass destruction and charge up my chakra/chi but these battles are actually few and far between.

I think what makes Naruto a good series and better than most 200+ action animes is the fact that it touches on more mature themes of sacrifice, friendship, betrayal, how history repeats, and overcoming adversity. It's held together by a rather clever and tightly written narrative. Unlike most action animes this series has a greater emphasis on the supporting cast and the world is slowly beginning to unfold before the viewers.

I have been watching the DVDs. I like the characters and the concept, but like everyone else, I think it can get a little too bogged down in the story. I don't think it is bad though, I like watching a couple episodes on weekends when I am bored.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Naruto is an average series. It is just really popular and long. But you can see character development as the series progresses, and that is why I like it. But it is a shonen, so it is directed at boys aged 11-16.

I'm just completely mesmerized by the anime and find it to hold very good story and hugely interests me.

I admire the way they make Naruto a determined, arrogant, but largely flawed and tempered ninja, who goes through drifts in his training. One minute he is not prosperous and behind the other Genin in his training, but suddenly can exert himself to his full potential and really tries to get better.

I feel Naruto is great because of his sheer independence and spirit to reach his goal. He's not the typical glamor whore like other main characters in animes, and shares his limelight with the other characters in story.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

I wish they would bring Kenshin back.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by *~Dagger Trepe~* View Post
    I TOTALLY JUST STARTED BUYING THOSE MANGAS!

Kenshin rulez.

Naruto is just...well really I don't know why I like it, I just like watching it. It's funnny, it has action, but unfortunatly I don't get to see it all because america thinks that my mind is too innocent and may not be able to handle all the actual violence in the show and all the language. It would be a lot better if it wasn't americanized. But other than that it is a very good show just because well...again I don't really know what to say. If you like it then you like it if you don't then you don't. I personally really like all the bright lights and colors when they use jutsu during a fight. It also has a really good plot to it...until all the episodes are just fillers and then no one can stand it and everyone stops watching it. Thats one bad thing about the show (what I said before about it being censored isn't a bad thing about the show its a bad thing about america and other places that censor it.) But pretty much just what I said before if you watch it and you don't like it then oh well watch something else, if you do like it keep watching! ...until all the fillers.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Ah, the fad where it's cool to hate Naruto.

Quote Originally Posted by *~Dagger Trepe~* View Post
    agreed!

i never really seen naruto but it doesnt seem like a bad idea for a show. i think naruto's clothing is quite stupid though. and i think his friend or rival or whatever they are sasuke is the cooler one. and the only reason i know these names is because or anything about it is through AMV's and there descriptions.
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    If you can say anything besides "it's cool." "the animation is nice." or "it's cool when they fight & powers & stuff like that."
    Then post. Otherwise, you're wasting my time and you should think about the question I asked.
    As a Shonen/Young Boys show, Naruto is mostly aiming for those kinds feelings. It's simple enough for folks to understand and be entertained by. Those who are more inclined to Higher Thinking will most likely not enjoy such shows, particularly if they cannot turn off their 'higher thinking'.

The OP, Proxy, is obviously one of those 'Higher Thinkers'. I didn't draw this conclusion due to his distaste for Naruto, but I recall not too long ago that his signature was the character 'Iggy' from the anime Ergo Proxy. Despite the similarity in name, he's probably watched it--and Ergo Proxy is definitely not 'simple entertainment'.

Trust me, if these obsessive Nartuto fans got a taste of any of the great, more mature shows, they'd ease off of their Naruto-ism.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Lynx View Post

agreed!

i never really seen naruto but it doesnt seem like a bad idea for a show. i think naruto's clothing is quite stupid though.
    I love his clothing because its oddity and it actually matches Naruto as a person; it screams out charisma, liveliness and optimism. It helps form his individuality and branch him off from the other formally dressed Ninjas. Naruto's he's own guy and don't care what most people think. I respect that.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.