Thread: Zodiac Braves

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Default Zodiac Braves

This will take some explaining.

The plot of FFT centers on the attempts of the Glabados Church to revive the Zodiac Braves of legend. What the game does not delve much is the original Zodiac Braves, the followers of St. Ajora. They were equivalent to the twelve disciples of the New Testament. Even to the extent that one of the twelve was a traitor, Germonik, who was similar to Judas.

Of course (SPOILER)they turn out to be corrupted by evil and become possessed by the Lucavi, the demons who were the Espers of FFXII. Only seven of the Lucavi appear in FFT. The other six appear as Espers in FFXII.

My idea is to show what the original followers of Ajora were like and their stories.

This is a portrait of Violet, the Madam of a Bordello in Zarghidas Trade City. She becomes very close to Geromonik. She is the inheritor (SPOILER)of the Lucavi Mateus, The Corrupt. I did the original line art, which was then colored by Ceec55 using Photoshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BG-57; 09-02-2007 at 11:43 PM.

Cool, I suck at colors.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

this could become a great story.

Contributions

Thanks. I just published the second chapter here on fanfiction.net.

I added some line art (L-R)

Germonik Albecross is a former Archadian Judge. His experience in the Imperial army have left him bitter and cynical. Despite his wounded past, he still believes in the cause of higher justice. He feels an attraction to Violet but he is gloomy about their future. He is in his middle forties with a beard and greying red hair, but is still a vigorous warrior. History records him as the traitor to St. Ajora and is known to Ramza as the author of a heretical text. He is the inheritor of (SPOILER)Exodus, The Judge-Sal.

Megara is a ten-year old girl and the daughter of an Alchemist. An explosion in the lab has killed her family and embedded a sliver of Nethicite in her right eye. Because of that, she has developed frightening powers that she cannot control. The fearful townspeople have imprisoned her and use her as the scapegoat to blame all their problems on. She comes to view Germonik as a father figure. She is the inheritor of (SPOILER)Zodiark, The Keeper of Precepts.

Hilde is a Viera who left the Wood to the outer world and met both good Humes (like Violet) and bad ones. Her experience in a circus sideshow has left her misanthropic, but still fiercely loyal to those who haven't betrayed her trust. She is the inheritor of (SPOILER)Shemhazai, The Whisperer.

EDIT: I added a color picture of Meg.
    Last edited by BG-57; 09-02-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Contributions

Sorry for double posting, but I ran out of room for attachments.

Ajora Glabados is revered by Ivalice as a savior and incarnation of divine will. But in his own time he was regarded as a revolutionary and spy. He forms the Zodiac Braves, symbollic of ancient saviors of legend, to carry his message of salvation. But his life becomes entangled by the Lucavi (the Espers in FFXII). He is the inheritor of (SPOILER)Ultima, The High Seraph.

Nicrotis is a survivor of the destruction of Nabudis and works for the King of Limberry as a mercenary and assassin. She's understandably bitter and becomes a reluctant convert to Ajora's religion. She is the inheritor of (SPOILER)Zalera the Death Seraph.

Buran is a blacksmith by trade and also from Nabudis. In fact he was one of the few survivors from the unit that Nicrotis was captain of. He's strong but impulsive and become an early convert to Arjora, putting him in opposition to Nicrotis. He's an inheritor of (SPOILER)Belias, the Gigas.
    Last edited by BG-57; 09-02-2007 at 10:37 PM.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Nice stuff, I love your colouring style, you choose colours well.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Awesome, it's been awhile since I've read a good fanfiction. Good work on the pictures, I'll have to check your story out as well.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    Nice stuff, I love your colouring style, you choose colours well.
    Thanks, I try to pick colors and clothes that reflect the characters' personalites and corresponding (SPOILER)Espers.

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void View Post
    Awesome, it's been awhile since I've read a good fanfiction. Good work on the pictures, I'll have to check your story out as well.
    I'd appreciate that. I would love some feedback and it seems there are few people who've played both FFT and FFXII and care about Ajora's backstory.

More art goodness!

(L-R)

A color picture of Buran. I thought a Russian name would suit him, so I named him after the Soviet space shuttle (it means Snowstorm).

A color picture of Germonik. I like the leather cloak over armor look but I had to be careful so he didn't wind up looking like T.G. Cid's kid brother. The design is based on a regular Archadian Judge armor.

A color picture of Hilde. I really messed up the legs so I cut them off.

Maybe I should have buried this in the backyard, but this is the first sketch of Violet. Looks like a female impersonator.

A much better picture of Violet, colored in.

Mmmm! I am interested!

The colours on the photoshop pictures are nice. Kind of like the way I do my colours, using just two tones. Nice stuff

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tidus_rox View Post
    Mmmm! I am interested!
    I hope you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    The colours on the photoshop pictures are nice. Kind of like the way I do my colours, using just two tones. Nice stuff
    I'll let Ceec55 know, since he did the coloring for me on Photoshop. He's been asking if I got any feedback about his work.

This is the last day of school vacation so I've been doing a flurry of drawing!

Bariaus is actually mentioned in Tactics and has both a Valley and Hill named for him. He's the first disciple of Ajora. I conceived him as a reformed theif who is saved by Ajora and devotes his life to spreading his ministry. He becomes the inheritor of (SPOILER)Hashmal, the Bringer of Order.

Father Jerico is a defrocked priest of Faram who has since lived a life of dissolution. It is only the word of Ajora's teaching that saved him from self-destruction. He's jovial and friendly, but has deep-set hatred against hypocrisy in religion. He is the inheritor of (SPOILER)Cuchulaain, the Impure.

EDIT: Added a color picture of Hilde.

That leaves four Zodiac Braves to design. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Last edited by BG-57; 09-04-2007 at 02:17 AM.