Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Maechen's Test of Knowledge

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yes, the internet and all of its facilities are very hard to obtain. There's quite a large number of Ultimania translations on the internet, so there is no reason to discount them. Additionally, they were written/sanctioned by the FF Writers, which means it comes from the source. Without the Ultimanias, there would be a very failing lack of knowledge when it comes to explaining the game.

It's not like EUD triggers where the community has only had them for a week before they are patched away, it's become part of the identity of the game, as much as could be. History has multiple books; does that mean the account of history should be discounted when you have failed to read the text?

I fail to see how several Ultimania quoting people here have NOT succeeding in providing an explanation. If I told you that Benzene is one of those compounds containing a Carbon-ring, and gave you a source, that it would be incorrect?

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Yes, the internet and all of its facilities are very hard to obtain. There's quite a large number of Ultimania translations on the internet, so there is no reason to discount them. Additionally, they were written/sanctioned by the FF Writers, which means it comes from the source. Without the Ultimanias, there would be a very failing lack of knowledge when it comes to explaining the game.

It's not like EUD triggers where the community has only had them for a week before they are patched away, it's become part of the identity of the game, as much as could be. History has multiple books; does that mean the account of history should be discounted when you have failed to read the text?

I fail to see how several Ultimania quoting people here have NOT succeeding in providing an explanation. If I told you that Benzene is one of those compounds containing a Carbon-ring, and gave you a source, that it would be incorrect?
    My point is to have knowledge on the game. Many hardcore fans have never read the ultimania guides and it is generally unfair to use them. Also then we have to trust that the translations are 100% accurate.

(SPOILER)You see an airship near the beginning of the game when you dive with Rikku to do that mission. You are actually pulling up the airship.
    Sigless

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

(SPOILER)
    When Tidus is on the salvaging mission with Rikku, you can see the airship in the water. The airship is only visable after you defeat Tros.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    My point is to have knowledge on the game. Many hardcore fans have never read the ultimania guides and it is generally unfair to use them. Also then we have to trust that the translations are 100% accurate.
    They are equally a part of the game as the game itself. Accuracy is not a concern. It's pretty difficult to screw up proper nouns, which is almost the entire thing. So, I fail to see how it is unfair to use them, especially if there is no other explanation within the game itself.

Might I remind you that the same "hardcore fans" you so highly speak of also generally thought that Tidus traveled 1000 years into the future, even when there is no evidence in the game to support it other than "I think I travelled into the future."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Tav if you don't like my rules then GTFO, that is the last comment I will have toward your opinion.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I don't because they are flawed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There is nothing flawed about no questions needing Ultimania guide answers

(SPOILER)After the battle with Tros, when returning to the salvage ship.

The spoon is too big! Firo Volondé's Avatar

(SPOILER)Do you want the very first time you see it or the first time you see it and say "Whoa, an airship!"? The former is after defeating Tros, where Rikku is in your party as ????. It's "the big prize" that the Al Bhed are salvaging. However, at that point it isn't clear what it is (at least, it wasn't to me). The airship in its restored glory is first seen at Home. Are we allowed two guesses? If not, I'll say at the start near the Salvage Ship, since that's the more literal answer.
    This is a signature.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The salvage ship is the correct answer.

1. qwertyxsora_________22
    2. Firo Volondé__________21
    3. ReloadPsi_____________12
    4. Little Blue____________10
    5. Endless._______________9
    6. abrojtm______________7
    7. tidus_rox____________6
    8. Halenite_______________5
    9. cally777______________4
    9. jeo2388_______________4
    11. KHCloudy______________3
    12. Renmiri_____________2
    13. d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x________1
    13. leader of mortals________1
    Last: Tavrobel______________-13

Q31. Name all of the rewards possible the first 3 times you fight Belgime (sorry I can't think how to spell her name, extra point if you spell it right :O)

(SPOILER)In your first battle with Belgemine (Mi'hen Highroad), you can get an Echo Ring if you win and a Seeker's Ring if you lose.
    On the Moonflow, you'll get the Summoner's Soul, plus two Dragon Scale if you win.
    In the Calm Lands, you will get the Aeon's Soul. Also you will get 30 Power Spheres for a win, or one Speed Sphere for a loss.

Lastly, this system of using spoiler tags to answer is ineffective; I can almost guarantee that some of the answers will be copies of previous spoilered answers... In fact, I thought about putting in a red herring wrong answer just to see if people would copy it. Oh well, I guess you don't want a flood of PM's so there isn't much other option.
    Sigless

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I realize that the current system is a bit faulty, but the system I use is constantly being fine-tuned, originally it was a first come first serve bases, and that REALLY didn't work. The current system is okay, because I can occasionally see when I suspect cheating.

I've had a few ideas for rule changes that could decrease cheating and/or make it less effective, that I planned on announcing at the 50th question, so I'll take all ideas until then (post them with your questions).

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    They are equally a part of the game as the game itself. Accuracy is not a concern. It's pretty difficult to screw up proper nouns, which is almost the entire thing. So, I fail to see how it is unfair to use them, especially if there is no other explanation within the game itself.

Might I remind you that the same "hardcore fans" you so highly speak of also generally thought that Tidus traveled 1000 years into the future, even when there is no evidence in the game to support it other than "I think I travelled into the future."
    I haven't read this guide and I think I'm a hardcore fan. I would not make the mistake about time travelling, nor would anyone who paid attention to the plot, i.e.Tidus came from DZ not the the past. Not than I'm knocking guides, but surely it would be unfair to assume all players have read them. I'm with Boco on this one.

Having said that, I think this qu is going to beat me but here goes:

(SPOILER) an echo ring or a seekers ring (if you lose, so don't know if that counts as a reward), the summoners soul and the aeons soul

What I love/hate about this quiz is how u c an answer u know and then scroll down praying that the answer isn't already there.

The spoon is too big! Firo Volondé's Avatar

(SPOILER)
    1. Mi'ihen Highroad: Echo Ring (HP+10% and Silence Ward) if you win, Seeker's Ring (HP+10%) if you lose.
    2. Moonflow: 2 Dragon Scales and Summoner's Soul if you win, 6 Smoke Bombs and Summoner's Soul if you lose.
    3. Calm Lands: 30 Power Spheres and Aeon's Soul if you win, 30 Speed Spheres and Aeon's Soul if you lose.

BTW, it's Belgemine.
    This is a signature.