Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crtitics be damned!

Default Crtitics be damned!

What movies do you love that the critics simply hated?

I thought Kung Pow! was hilarious, but at Rotten Tomatoes it has a 10%.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I can't think of any films off the top of my head, but I absolutely adore Police Squad! which was cancelled after one series by the television channel it was on (required too much attention to watch, supposedly).
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori View Post
    What movies do you love that the critics simply hated?

I thought Kung Pow! was hilarious, but at Rotten Tomatoes it has a 10%.
    When I saw the thread title, Kung Pow! was the first movie to come to mind.

I'm generally a snobby movie elitist, but I love Kung Pow.

As a general rule, the critics are usually wrong. So, the more the critics hate it (or profess to hate it), the more likely it is to be a great movie and vice versa. I think they're just angry that they're not good enough to have any part in the making of the film, so they figure they'll ruin the industry by giving a review which is opposite their actual opinion.

For example:

They really spat all over The Butterfly Effect which turned out to be a great movie.

They gave glowing reviews to Terminator 3, which, as we all know, was terrible storywise because it didn't follow Cameron's original storyline. Mostow didn't know what the hell Terminator was supposed to be about.

I was going to see Eragon on my birthday this year, but someone who was a big fan of dragons told me it was terrible. For this reason, I decided to read the reviews. The critics loved the movie. This sealed the deal. If an expert and a critic disagree, the expert is always right. I decided not to see Eragon. I could go on all day, but you get the point.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    As a general rule, the critics are usually wrong. So, the more the critics hate it (or profess to hate it), the more likely it is to be a great movie and vice versa. I think they're just angry that they're not good enough to have any part in the making of the film, so they figure they'll ruin the industry by giving a review which is opposite their actual opinion.

For example:

They really spat all over The Butterfly Effect which turned out to be a great movie.

They gave glowing reviews to Terminator 3, which, as we all know, was terrible storywise because it didn't follow Cameron's original storyline. Mostow didn't know what the hell Terminator was supposed to be about.

I was going to see Eragon on my birthday this year, but someone who was a big fan of dragons told me it was terrible. For this reason, I decided to read the reviews. The critics loved the movie. This sealed the deal. If an expert and a critic disagree, the expert is always right. I decided not to see Eragon. I could go on all day, but you get the point.
    Ay, The Butterfly Effect was a great movie.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As a general rule, the critics are usually wrong.
    As a general rule, i find that critics are usually right.

I can't think of any movies right now that I loved but critics hated.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Agreed. Critics are just people who watch lots of movies, and in general that means they sort of know what they're talking about. Obviously anyone with a brain knows when and when not to totally rely on what a critic says. If they give a huge action movie bad reviews for having a lame story, well, as long as you wanted to see it for the action, who cares?
    For example:

I saw that movie. Man, was it bad.
    Terminator 3 was fine as an action movie, despite the story not being as good as what was presented in the first two. And while he may have sort of ruined Cameron's storyline, at least it didn't play out exactly how one would've expected.
    The critics totally all over Eragon. 16% = not love. Maybe you're just not looking at enough critics. The idea is to look at general consensus, or, even better, find a critic who has similar tastes in films as you yourself do, and use that as a guideline.

i don't listen to critics, but for the most part they agree with my tastes. they know what elements make a good movie, which is why they get paid to do what they do. if a critic craps on a movie, i reserve judgment until i see it myself and then usually see why they said what they said, or if i disagree with some of their points.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Dirty Work, that movie was awesome.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I never really pay attention to what critics say I just watch whatever sounds interesting, so I don't really know. However, my dad keeps complaining how critics always put down Will Smith movies. I do like some of his movies, I Robot was good and it was put down a lot apparently.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

Everyone who said Kung Pow! has my respect.

For the most part, I agree with the critics I keep up with, but every once and awhile I manage to disagree profousely. There's only two movies I can think of at the moment: The Fountain, and Silent Hill.

While The Fountain wasn't all out bashed by critics, the consensus seemed to be completely divided in half. A lot of people just didn't get it, and that saddens me.

And I just thought Silent Hill was a great horror movie. It was also a movie people didn't get, which I don't understand because it takes 20 minutes to lay everything out for you. I guess it's just a bias against video games. Then again, I'm probably biased due to my love of the series. I guess that makes this a null point. Whatever.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Freddy got Fingered.

Str8 Pimpin'

I do not read reviews. I am my own person and will my make own judgement based on my own opinions, I do not need a professional critic to tell me how to feel about a movie.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I do not read reviews. I am my own person and will my make own judgement based on my own opinions, I do not need a professional critic to tell me how to feel about a movie.
    It must be nice to have infinite time and money and so be able to judge every movie ever for yourself.