Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crtitics be damned!

I look at each movie individually, by trailers and very brief summaries. If I don't think the movie sounds interesting, then I do not bother with it. I never said I saw every movie ever made, did I?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    For example:

They really spat all over The Butterfly Effect which turned out to be a great movie.
    It's a great movie, if you get the proper ending. I saw it once and thought it was great and told my family to watch it when it was on the movie channels. But then when we watched it, they aired some ridiculous happy ending, in which none of the pieces fit together. So if the critics saw the version which ends with the dude seeing the chick walk away on the streets, I understand why it got bad reviews. The real version is, however, very intelligent and philosophical.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    For example:

They really spat all over The Butterfly Effect which turned out to be a great movie.
    It's a great movie, if you get the proper ending. I saw it once and thought it was great and told my family to watch it when it was on the movie channels. But then when we watched it, they aired some ridiculous happy ending, in which none of the pieces fit together. So if the critics saw the version which ends with the dude seeing the chick walk away on the streets, I understand why it got bad reviews. The real version is, however, very intelligent and philosophical.
    There are actually four endings. And the one that played in theaters is a lot worse than the one that ended up on the DVD. And they had to cut scenes out to make the theatrical ending work.

I have one caveat with that movie and that's the part where (SPOILER)he's in jail and goes back in time and slams his hands on the receipt holders and then comes back and the scars had magically appeared. First of all, best case scenario, they would have been there his whole life. Second, it would probably have been enough in its own right to change the timeline. But yeah. That's my only caveat with that movie and I wish they would have noticed that wasn't plausible before filming.

EDIT: I like to call this movie the anti-It's A Wonderful Life. If you've seen the DVD version, you'd know why.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

The movie "Hoodwinked" was often bashed by the critics, especially for its somewhat outdated CGI graphics, but I found the movie enjoyable myself. The writing was pretty clever, the movie was entertaining, there's some parody elements of the original Hoodwinked story and some references to other movies as well. The movie is also "clean", so people of any age can watch it. That's pretty rare nowadays, really, even for animated films.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I do not read reviews. I am my own person and will my make own judgement based on my own opinions, I do not need a professional critic to tell me how to feel about a movie.
    It must be nice to have infinite time and money and so be able to judge every movie ever for yourself.
    Indeed.

I don't have the opinion that if a critic thinks something is good or bad, it must be true. But if most critics are saying a movie is terrible and I have no expectations about it, I probably won't see it. It happened with Catwoman.

I don't think anyone looks to critics to tell them what to think about a movie, but rather to offer advice whether or not to spend the time and money to see a movie in the first place.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori View Post
    What movies do you love that the critics simply hated?

I thought Kung Pow! was hilarious, but at Rotten Tomatoes it has a 10%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rengori View Post
    What movies do you love that the critics simply hated?

I thought Kung Pow! was hilarious, but at Rotten Tomatoes it has a 10%.
    When I saw the thread title, Kung Pow! was the first movie to come to mind.

I'm generally a snobby movie elitist, but I love Kung Pow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
    Everyone who said Kung Pow! has my respect.
    All three of you conquer. Kung Pow! was hilarious. Anyone who doesn't like movies just because critics dislike them is missing out.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Kung Pow! for the win. I also thought the butterfly effect was good, I got the ending where he (SPOILER)killed himself in his mother's womb.

Anyway, I tend to listen to critics to a certain degree. If everyone everywhere are giving a movie :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty reviews, I probably won't waste my time on it, but if the reviews are mixed, some really good and some really bad, the bad ones won't stop me.

And yeah, T3 is clearly incompatible with T2's ending. T3 was an interesting watch nevertheless, but not even close to T2.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I generally don't read reviews, since obviously everyone's opinions differ. I take reviews for a grain of salt most of the time. I'll go see a movie if I want to, and whether I enjoyed it or not it is just fine with me.