Thread: Junctioning problem and magic

Default Junctioning problem and magic

Hello all my name is Andrei and i started playing FF8 3days ago. Now i am arround lvl 19 with Squall and 14 15 with the rest of characters.

I am at the final of the 2nd cd but i have big problems at defeating cerberus and edea. I read the guide and there is something there about junctioning magic elem-j atack def. but i don`t know how to use them.

I also heard that you can refine magic but i don`t know how. Thank you for understanding me and pls help me
    Last edited by Varti; 08-01-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, for a start theres a huge guide on this in the game under the tutorial menu. You were also taught this in the first disc right after starting (first outside garden before ifrit's cave Quistis teaches you about junctioning GFs and magic. then right after getting Ifrit Quistis teaches about Elemental junctions (and status junctions too if I remember right) I reccomend these again as they're visual. As for your levels...I personally think your levels are too low. I'd have been atleast level 50 around this point in time. As for refining the magic, first you need the corresponding items and abilities to make it. My advice go level up from an earlier save and watch the tutorials in the menu.

hmm i defeated edea eventually but yes you are right. now i am at the begining of the 3rd cd. i know how to junction is just that i don`t have so much magic to junction my stats . And i don`t know what magic i need for every atribute.

Can you give me a tip where i could lvl up? Btw did you still use gs`s at the 3rd cd? or normal atack ? Tks for your help

If you're having troubles in a certain fight/area, the answer is NOT to level up. That will only make the fight more difficult. The enemies in this game level up with you, and their stats increase more than yours do. It's strong junctions that you want, not levels.

If you're unsure how it all works, read the tutorials on it in the Tutorial section. Basically, you junction GFs and whatever Stat Junction abilities they have learned you can junction magic to those stats. Usually (there are a few exceptions), when you get a new GF you should immediately have them learn [Stat]-J (like HP-J, Str-J, Mag-J, etc.) abilities. This will allow you to junction magic to those stats and give them a boost.

Some magic gives certain stats a bigger boost than others. To refine magic from items you need the right item and certain GF abilities. Here's the best magic for each stat:
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Ultima is the strongest for most stats, but since you can only put it on one stat, either Mag or Str is the best choice depending on the character.

HP: Full-Life
    You can draw Full-Life from Tonberry King and Bahamut. It can also be refined from Regen Rings (won from Torama's and Mesmerizes) with Siren's L Mag-RF. You need 10 Chimera cards for 1 Regen Ring so that's not the best choice.

Str: Ultima/Meteor
    I would suggest refining Ultima from Dark Matter. You need 100 Curse Spikes, then refine those into a Dark Matter with Lvl. 100 Siren's Tool-RF. Defeat or mug Tri-Faces for Curse Spikes, they spawn at fixed points in the Deep Sea Research Center. You can also mod Tri-Face cards.

The easiest way to get Meteor is to draw it from Ruby Dragons. KO one party member before you fight one though. It won't hurt you then.

Vit: Meltdown
    Draw Meltdown from Gaylas around Trabia and mod Gayla cards for Mystery Fluids which refine into Meltdown with Diablos's ST Mag-RF.

Mag: Ultima/Triple
    Triples can be drawn from Odin and Cerberus. Other than that you'll have to mod a card which isn't available until Esthar.

Spr: Reflect
    Reflect can be drawn from Adamantoises and refined from Dragon Skins which are won from Anacondaurs. You can also mod Carbuncle's card for 3 Glow Curtains, which refine into 100 Reflects each. You can win the Carbuncle card from Heart ((SPOILER)Xu), who is a member of the CC group.

Spd: Triple/Haste
    Draw Haste from Vysages around Winhill. You can also mod Kiros's card for 3 Accelerators. 1 Accelerator refines into 100 Haste. To get Kiros's card you must first lose MiniMog to the Queen of Cards. Talk to her in Dollet and she will tell you her father made the Kiros card based off of MiniMog. Then go to Deling City and challenge the guy wearing black on the left side of the street by the Shopping Arcade.

Eva: Tornado
    Draw from Thrustaevis around Deling City. You can also refine Windmills. Thrustaevis and Abyss Worms drop those. Modding Abyss Worm and Pandemona cards works too.

Hit: Double
    Double can be drawn from Grendel, Elnoyle, Cerberus, and Odin along with several other enemies.

Luck: Aura
    Buy Hypno Crowns and Power Wrists from one of the Esthar shops, and refine those into Aura Stones with Siren's Tool-RF. Refine the Aura Stones into Auras with Leviathan's Supt Mag-RF.
    You should stop relying on GFs for damage ASAP. You'll soon come to a battle that is impossible to win by using GFs, which forces you to have decent junctions and GF abilities learned. The only time I relied on GFs for damage was against Elvoret and the X-ATM robot in Dollet. By that time my junctions were strong enough to rape everything.
    Last edited by Xurts; 08-01-2007 at 07:17 PM.

thank`s a lot man this is just what i needed to know about every magic for stats.

I think you are refering to Adel i used to play on playstation too but there i stopped the game because i could not kill her with gf`s as i killed rinoa too.

so the most important are the stat-j. i`ll keep that in mind

Stick with Meteor for Str-J. I much prefer using Ultima for Elem-Def-J. Nullifying all elements is much better than the small boost you get from using Ultima over Meteor.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Varti View Post
    thank`s a lot man this is just what i needed to know about every magic for stats.

I think you are refering to Adel i used to play on playstation too but there i stopped the game because i could not kill her with gf`s as i killed rinoa too.

so the most important are the stat-j. i`ll keep that in mind
    No problem. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Stick with Meteor for Str-J. I much prefer using Ultima for Elem-Def-J. Nullifying all elements is much better than the small boost you get from using Ultima over Meteor.
    Ultima increases Str 25 points higher than Meteor, which will make normal attacks and most Limit Breaks deal more damage. Putting Ultima on Elemental Defense will absorb every element, but with Reflect on Spr and with other magic on Elm-Def elemental attacks will only end up doing 100 or so (around half of the elementals can be absorbed without Ultima). So you can either absorb every element and have weaker attacks/Limit Breaks, or you can have elements do insignificant/no damage and have stronger attacks/Limit Breaks. Either way works.

xurts do you have ym!? or msn id pls. it would be great if i could chat with ya about the game. pls tks

Quote Originally Posted by Varti View Post
    xurts do you have ym!? or msn id pls. it would be great if i could chat with ya about the game. pls tks
    No, I don't have YIM, but I do have MSN. My MSN e-mail is xurts@hotmail.com. I'm always on because I have nothing better to do. =/