Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why use a Japanese word in English when English has a word for it?

Sephiros = Sephiroth
    The below sentence is true.
    The above sentence is false.

The only thing that really annoys me is when people use a fully english sentence then end it with 'desu'. Or as stated, when people through a random word into an english sentence, the standard ones that people use, baka, neko, kawaii, inu, and those sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Is the Key View Post
    The only thing that really annoys me is when people use a fully english sentence then end it with 'desu'. Or as stated, when people through a random word into an english sentence, the standard ones that people use, baka, neko, kawaii, inu, and those sorts.
    Yeah, that's when it gets annoying. I actually met someone who claimed to be so Japanese that she would "accidentally" use 'r' sounds instead of 'w' sounds and stuff. She was full of crap, though.

Words like anime and katana are used to actually distinguish between two similar things, though. They have their use.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

But that's what makes crappy fan fiction so great.

Well, what could I say? :riiight:, I would use spanish words, but they would be quite weird and maybe offensive in other languages :rolleyes2...

About the words you mentioned, they are common in other places, like here, where a lot of people tend to use the word "Katana", "chan" and others a lot, it's just people trying to classify them.

¿Qué?
    Last edited by Ramza Beoulve; 08-02-2007 at 07:58 AM.

I think anytime that people throw in random terms from two languages is annoying, not just Japanese. Spanglish is so smurfing annoying.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori View Post
    I think anytime that people throw in random terms from two languages is annoying, not just Japanese. Spanglish is so smurfing annoying.
    Spanglish is pretty worse here, I gotta say. WORSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Yeah, that's when it gets annoying. I actually met someone who claimed to be so Japanese that she would "accidentally" use 'r' sounds instead of 'w' sounds and stuff. She was full of crap, though.

She would have to be if she used 'r' for 'w' and I actually do use 'r' instead of 'l' sometimes, same with using 'sh' instead of just 's' which comes out bad when you try and tell someone to sit down, and I'm not claiming to be Japanese, it's just from taking the course and watching a ass load of anime, it just happens, I also insert Chinese and German words if I'm tired.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Because cartoon means anything animated and Anime generally means one specific type of animation...
    jkhkjg

I miss kinje longaway :[ Eiko Guy's Avatar

Anime is short for animation but bugs bunny is not anime. The style with which they are drawn and where the come from is pretty much why japaneses cartoons are called anime.

Otherwise my friends don't notice they say sala instead of living room and I speak spanish okay enough to not be confused so I can stand it.

Fat kids are harder to Kidnap.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post

She would have to be if she used 'r' for 'w' and I actually do use 'r' instead of 'l' sometimes, same with using 'sh' instead of just 's' which comes out bad when you try and tell someone to sit down, and I'm not claiming to be Japanese, it's just from taking the course and watching a ass load of anime, it just happens, I also insert Chinese and German words if I'm tired.
    That actually should have read "l" instead lf "w". :P

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Why let it bother you? People will talk how they want to, it's no big deal

Blog Entries

omg kawaii!!! ^___^

yeah it's japanese i'm part japanese and i can speak it if you don't understand deal w/it.

there was a picture here

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori View Post
    That's a baka thing to say.

Oh dear that really annoys me.... I hear people doing it all the time lately. There seems to be a lot of "domo" and "arigatou gozaimasu" floating around too....

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    omg kawaii!!! ^___^

yeah it's japanese i'm part japanese and i can speak it if you don't understand deal w/it.
    So am I, I'm a quarter Japanese on my mothers side & I have a good understanding of Japanese because of that, but I dont go around using Japanese when I talk because there's no need to & its kinda rude... sure it can be funny sometimes, but I personally dont enjoy hearing people say things like "OMG that guy is so bishounen" or "Wow so kawaii" when they can just use the English term...

Its probably all down to the fact that Japanese culture is so popular now...