Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why use a Japanese word in English when English has a word for it?

The only thing I use in Japanese is the phrase "Shikata ga nai." It means "It can't be helped." Or more so, "Accept it and get over it"
    Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2712300/1/

Big Brother's Xenogears novelization

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Sagensyg View Post
    Seppuku
    Dattebayo
    Desudesudesudesudesudesudesudesune?

I use 'anime' to refer to japanese animated shows too, but I won't usually say 'katana'. Saying seiyuu is idiotic, and I agree that substituting a translated Japanese term is foolish.

I think our obsession with Japanese culture is causing these foolish behaviours. It's similar to calling people 'gosu' and 'chobu' (or whatever) in Starcraft, or the obsession with 'uber' in general.

Desudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesu?

It only bothers me when the word is adopted incorrectly.

"Hentai" is a good example of a word that really annoys me.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

It's just one more example of how Japan is ruining our youth with its corruptive cultural influence. Hopefully our government leaders will see fit to ban their goods before it's too late.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto View Post
    I think our obsession with Japanese culture is causing these foolish behaviours. It's similar to calling people 'gosu' and 'chobu' (or whatever) in Starcraft, or the obsession with 'uber' in general.
    Gosu is Korean, and is a perfectly applicable word, because it shortens typing time, a very important necessity in RTS and FPS. It's much better than typing pro, which has multiple definitions, or "he's very good," another needlessly long and complicated phrase.

Uber is German, and works as a prefix, simply because it's an easy way to say "more so than" when connected to a word, or "end of game," or "beyond normal constraints," which is close to it's actual definition. Or it can be used like gosu.

These can't be compared to Japanese-word-interpersion, because they shorten typing time into a very convenient space. Where using Japanese words when you have a perfect English alternative isn't the same as a word that's evolved in order to make things easier. Japanese doesn't make things easier, because
    A) you already have an English term
    B) it serves little purpose in condensation
    C) wasted effort, because you have to bother to learn how to use it correctly

Off topic, but what does "Itadakimasu" mean? I heard the phrase in the movie Grave of the Fireflies (live action version), but it had no translation.
    Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2712300/1/

Big Brother's Xenogears novelization

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

<span style="color:#FFCCFF">
    Itadakimasu-

I am not sure if it has a direct translation into English or not(I have heard contradictory things).

As far as I can tell the closest thing is "I humbly recieve" or some such. It is used before meals and the ilk(hence it is sometimes translated as 'lets eat').

I don't mind the anime bit at all because the Japanese Animation does differ significantly from what had been the usual Western Animation at the time. However, another more unique word(cause shortening animation to anime is sooo unique /sarcasm) could have been made to distinguish the styles.
    </span>

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Anime - A word I assume to be derived from the way they write "animation" in transliterated Japanese. They're still charicatures animated by overlaying cells and indivually drawn frames, so how is it not still a cartoon? Why do we have to use the word "anime" just because it's from Japan and uses their drawing style? A sponge cake that's light brown and has strawberry jam in the middle may be called a Victoria Sandwich, but everyone still just calls it cake.
    "Anime" is not just a word that fanboys/girls are substituting for an english word because we love speaking japanese. It's an actual term for japanese animation (outside of japan). Anime is anime.

Banned

We have the same problem in Sweden. Though here people are using English terms when there are Swedish ones available.

I hate it above all else, as it's actually killing the language.

I don't know, I guess it depends on the word. In the case of Anime, I personally use it to refer to the art style, not the fact that its animated. I don't usually talk about anime cartoons 'caue it's redundent.

But in general, its Ok to use a forgein word if it's more accurate than the standard English equivilent. Hijab is a perfectly legitamate word to use because it's simple more accurate than "headscarf" because hijabs are religious in nature, while headscerves aren't. I can't imagine anyone referring to a yarmaluke as a "beanie", it isn't accurate. You could go around calling burritos "wraps" but I'm not sure that would convey the whole picture.

I think you should favor accuracy. If you're specificaly referring to a japanese style of special effects, then Tokusatsu might be the right word to use. I don't get the whole "Kawaii" "Desu" stuff, though. It seems kinda strange to want to learn random words in another language.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I can understand the point about people adding "baka", "kawaii" and other things in senselessly to their sentences, yet the thing about using "anime" and "seiyuu" is that it has a specific cultural reference. Also, sometimes translating the word loses some of the nuance of the word, thus the word is kept in its original language to preserve those nuances. This is often used in area of cultural studies. An example is the word "hubris". It is borrowed from Greek and to most it means a great pride, yet within the context of Ancient Greek culture the meaning is slightly different and carries more weight.

I randomly put French words into my English or vice versa when I cannot think of the word in the proper language.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
    The only thing I use in Japanese is the phrase "Shikata ga nai." It means "It can't be helped." Or more so, "Accept it and get over it"
    Beats me. We get anime fans at the JSA at my Uni every year, and they all tend to scare away the japanese exchange students(do not like anime nor anime fans the word otaku is an insult in Japan).

Sooooo the only way we get rid of them is by just avoiding them.Xd

It's horrible, and its the fact that me and the other officers said this during our meeting a few weeks back XD.