Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's the worst Batman?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Tim Burton pretty much established what the Batman movies should be like and though Tim had quite a bit of humor in the films, it never felt too campy or out of place.
    I disagree completely. Though I liked Burton's Batman films as a child, I find them unwatchable now. All of the characters are horridly portrayed, and at the best of times I end up laughing for all of the wrong reasons. He didn't do as bad a job as Joel, but he doesn't even come close to the job that Nolan did with Batman Begins.

Anywho, Clooney was the worst, but I'm plenty hesitant to blame him for it. He knew it was a crappy movie and simply didn't care as a result, thus deciding to play Batman gay. I'm even hesitant to totally blame Schumacher as much of the crap in Batman & Robin was forced on him by the producers/studio, and he at least admits it was a terrible movie for all the same reasons fans hate it. As such, of the serious Batman portrayals I'll go with Val Kilmer with Michael Keaton coming a very close second.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Clooney, if we're just talking about movie Batmen. I think Bale absolutely nailed the role, but I'm not sure who I'd put second. I do like the old Batman films, but Michael Keaton never seemed to fit for me. I didn't mind him in the movies, but I do not think of him when I think "Batman." Val Kilmer deserved a better movie, but I think Batman Forever wasn't half-bad just because of him.

George Clooney was pretty bad but I blame Joel Schumacher and his inabilty to direct as the fault. To be honest Joel makes a similiar mistake that the Ceej brought up about Clooney's portrayel. Tim Burton pretty much established what the Batman movies should be like and though Tim had quite a bit of humor in the films, it never felt too campy or out of place. Joel sorta tried to meld what Tim did with the old 60's sitcom to disasterous results. I demand new Batman films with Two Face and Mr. Freeze portrayed in a darker and grimer setting (Batman the Animated Series FTW!)

On topic, I hate Val Kilmer (he's pretty and emo) and George was pretty bad as well...

Adam West should not even count cause the 60's sitcom is an entity of itself and should not be compared to the movies or original source material. It's cheese makes it golden...
    The sequel to the Dark Knight will probably have Two Face in it. Mr. Freeze is probably a long way off... we'll probably get the Riddler, Catwoman, and the Penguin before Freeze is introduced in the current franchise.

Did you guys notice that Val Kilmer kind of sounded like Adam West when he was wearing the batsuit?

lol batman movies suck

also, clooney

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexicon View Post
    lol batman movies suck

also, clooney

Batman Begins was a better reboot film than Superman Returns.

And Batman Begins was a better video game than Superman Returns because the last boss in Superman Returns was a smurfing TORNADO!

At least you get to fight Ra's Al Ghul at the end of Batman Begins.
    Last edited by The Fat Bioware Nerd; 08-03-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Tim Burton pretty much established what the Batman movies should be like and though Tim had quite a bit of humor in the films, it never felt too campy or out of place.
    I disagree completely. Though I liked Burton's Batman films as a child, I find them unwatchable now. All of the characters are horridly portrayed, and at the best of times I end up laughing for all of the wrong reasons. He didn't do as bad a job as Joel, but he doesn't even come close to the job that Nolan did with Batman Begins.

Anywho, Clooney was the worst, but I'm plenty hesitant to blame him for it. He knew it was a crappy movie and simply didn't care as a result, thus deciding to play Batman gay. I'm even hesitant to totally blame Schumacher as much of the crap in Batman & Robin was forced on him by the producers/studio, and he at least admits it was a terrible movie for all the same reasons fans hate it. As such, of the serious Batman portrayals I'll go with Val Kilmer with Michael Keaton coming a very close second.

To be honest I think the "Animated Series" represented the Batman franchise the best but Burton's work are not so terrible. I agree Batman Begins is a superior movie to the others. Of course I'm a Tim Burton fan so I am a little bias about his way of doing things. Of anything, I think Burton portrayed Gotham the best and I do enjoy his work on Bruce Wayne's character in the first film.

Quote Originally Posted by John_912 View Post
    lol batman movies suck

also, clooney

Batman Begins was a better comeback movie than Superman Returns.

And Batman Begins was a better video game than Superman Returns because the last boss in Superman Returns was a smurfing TORNADO!

At least you get to fight Ra's Al Ghul at the end of Batman Begins.
    comparing crap to doesn't make it gold. but you're right...batman begins was good...i don't lump it in with the others because i hate 'em

comparing crap to doesn't make it gold. but you're right...batman begins was good...i don't lump it in with the others because i hate 'em
    I can understand why you hate the Burton & Schumacher films but to be honest I kind of resent Batman Begins because during the shooting of Batman Begins a new cartoon series called "The Batman" debuted on Kid's WB and I HATE that tv show.

There's no doubt in my mind that "The Batman" is a marketing tie-in with Batman Begins.

I don't even remember Clooney's Batman anymore. I think I blocked that whole movie from my memory. But Clooney himself said he was horrible in that movie, so let's just say him. Bandwagon, wheee.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Anyone who says Adam West fails to know the true meaning of awesome.

As for my least favourite I'm going to go ahead and say Clooney out of sheer defaultness.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be honest I think the "Animated Series" represented the Batman franchise the best but Burton's work are not so terrible. I agree Batman Begins is a superior movie to the others. Of course I'm a Tim Burton fan so I am a little bias about his way of doing things. Of anything, I think Burton portrayed Gotham the best and I do enjoy his work on Bruce Wayne's character in the first film.
    Agreed on the Animated Series. I also am a huge Burton fan believe it or not. I just can't stand his Batman movies. They were too campy for me, and I just feel he didn't really understand any of the characters.

Adam West. His voice drives me up the wall.

Batman Begins was a better comeback movie than Superman Returns.
    I don't think many people understand this, but Batman Begins is not part of the Burton/Schumacher Batman franchise. It was originally intended to be the beginning of a new Batman franchise. They signed Christian Bale for three films, but only one got made. The fact that no more were made furthers the illusion that it's part of the same franchise. And if it were, it would suck because there are hundreds of continuity problems. But alas no. It's a separate entity in its own. I can't speak for Superman Returns because I never saw Superman III or IV and it's been a long time since I saw the first two. It was a terrible movie, but the scene with the plane was worth the price of admission alone. I won't buy the DVD but I don't regret seeing it in the theaters.

George Clooney was pretty bad but I blame Joel Schumacher and his inabilty to direct as the fault. To be honest Joel makes a similiar mistake that the Ceej brought up about Clooney's portrayel. Tim Burton pretty much established what the Batman movies should be like and though Tim had quite a bit of humor in the films, it never felt too campy or out of place. Joel sorta tried to meld what Tim did with the old 60's sitcom to disasterous results. I demand new Batman films with Two Face and Mr. Freeze portrayed in a darker and grimer setting (Batman the Animated Series FTW!)
    Schumacher did ruin Burton's Batman franchise. That's true. But Schumacher directed Val Kilmer and he was still able to play Keaton's Batman. One can hardly blame Schumacher for Clooney's acting abilities. Yes, he can act. He just can't play a role previously defined as I stated earlier that most actors can't. Maybe if Clooney were able to play Keaton's Batman, then the movie might actually have been quasi-watchable.

Adam West should not even count cause the 60's sitcom is an entity of itself and should not be compared to the movies or original source material. It's cheese makes it golden...
    Damn straight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    Batman Begins was a better reboot film than Superman Returns.
    I don't think many people understand this, but Batman Begins is not part of the Burton/Schumacher Batman franchise.
    Excuse me, I meant to type "reboot" but I wrote this post in the middle of the night and I was half asleep.