Thread: Ministry of Magic

Default Ministry of Magic

You have to admit that the Ministry was pretty dictatorial. Was JKR referencing it to a former or existing government or was it just authoritarianism in general?
    <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_12495-->
    Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2712300/1/

Big Brother's Xenogears novelization

I remember one movie critic reviewing Order of the Phoenix and saying Umbridge is just Dick Cheney in a skirt. Kind of an oddly good observation, really.

I'm not going to say it represents any single government, but simply a message about what various governments have done before.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    I remember one movie critic reviewing Order of the Phoenix and saying Umbridge is just Dick Cheney in a skirt. Kind of an oddly good observation, really.
    I saw another critic calling her Hitler in pink. Speaking of Hitler, I know the Death Eaters had definite Nazi undertones with regards to being a pureblood, and J.K. Rowling has said as much, but I can't really see the Ministry being compared to any regime.

Blog Entries

It's only a matter of time before somebody has an epiphany and discovers that it's all an extended metaphor for the war in Iraq and how peace is the answer and the government is against us.

there was a picture here

come to think of it, harry is a lot like luke skywalker. and hagrid is a lot like santa, and professor dumbledore is like atticus finch....she's just a huge rip off artist.

Oh, Big Brother

I dunno. Maybe it was a childrenized take on Orwell.

Okay. In all seriousness. No. I think she just wanted some rebelliousness in her Harry Potty.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Ciddieless since 2004

Nah. I'd say it was just your average, run-of-the-mill ethnic cleansing.
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

Voldomort was supposed to symbolize Hitler, because oddly enough they both set out to exterminate the ones they had blood from; Jews - Muggles. Voldomort's father was a muggle, and Hitler's grandfather was a Jew, if I'm correct. Voldomort sieged control of the notorious Death Eaters and reeked havoc, while Nazis did the same. Both planned on world domination, and were both powerful dictators.

JKR obviously got her ideas from a bit of modern history, revolving around Nazis and Hitler also. I respect that.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Everything is gonna have a resemblance to something else. I think this is just a case of a writer creating the "bad side".

I really like Dyslexicon's post, too.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Being against the establishement / government is hip
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs: