Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pipe Dreams: What would it take to get you to stop downloading fansubs?

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

<span style="color:#FFCCFF">
    1) Releases in a quick time frame. Seriously fansubbers have to work and have their own lives, but yet several fansub groups can still make quality releases within a day after it has aired in Japan. I don't expect it to be as fast as fansubs but it still has to make it in a timely fashion.

2) Reasonable prices. The easiest way to do this would be to enable torrent technology and provide the series through downloads(I am sure if you instigated some sort of reward system you could get uses to provide upload power. Perhaps something like a discount for every 20 Gigabytes you upload or something).*

3) Don't rape the dialog or cultural references. I watch foreign shows to get a taste of their culture and way of life.

4) Don't over-edit or remove scenes just because you think they are too adult'ish or not fitting in with American society(this is a bit.... better than what it was in the past; so I don't have too many complaints here anymore this is just a warning not to repeat past mistakes).

5) Don't change the characters personalities(As with number 4 this hasn't been horrible in the official releases I have seen of late.... well other than 4kids).

6)Release more animes. I have watched several on fansubs that just haven't been released over here. And until the day that all attractive anime is released in our language fansubs will still have a niche.

7) If you are going to dub don't cut costs on the Voice Actors. Bad choices on the voice actors can ruin it even if you have the above all in good use. Fansubbers don't have to worry about this since it is just a sub(as a note in the past even fans could do a 'better' dub than what was released to the public for this and above reasons).

8) Public execution of the ones running the 4kids anime division. Preferably a painful execution
    I jest.

Or do I?

*If it was set so that discounts wouldn't stack you would actually be promoting them to buy more anime from you(i.e. you would have to use the one discount before you would get another).
    </span>

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

You jest not.

The only way I can think of to get people to stop downloading fansubbed anime is to simply stop making anime.
    I don't see how making people pay for the torrents could work... If you make people pay to download a something than somebody is eventually going to buy it and release an exact copy of it for free download.

Another thing that would stop fansubbing: 4Kids being shut down to make room for a better localisation company.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

For me the big thing is price but then again I am really cheap. Super cheap. I occasionally buy TV shows and when I do it is under $20.

I also have the view that this airs for free on TV over there and people take their time to translate and subtitle this for free. FREE all around. One could make the argument that advertising pays for it so it isn't free but I don't pay so it is free to me.

As others have said. If they put this stuff on their site for free with advertisements and just subtitle it then it would be all good. Also don't try to throw fancy accents and in there. Examples would be Advent Children...Cait Sith has a Scottish accent...what the smurf were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Cait Sith has a Scottish accent...what the smurf were they thinking?
    Because Cait Sith is derived from a celtic legend. The scottish accent makes perfect sense.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

No it really doesn't. It is a robot cat that controls a robot mog. This robot cat is controlled by a real person and speaks as such.

EDIT: On second thought it probably wouldn't have been so bad if he actually spoke that was in the original game as well...but he doesn't. That alone is enough for it to not make sense.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Værn View Post
    If you make people pay to download a something than somebody is eventually going to buy it and release an exact copy of it for free download.
    <span style="color:#FFCCFF">
    But that would not be a fansub .

Actually that is something that really irks me with some so called 'fansub' groups. They don't subtitle it. They just rip the DVD's and then release it online. Since when is that fansubbing? Grrr.....
    </span>

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

I would stop watching fansubs if the official releases were accurate translations. Because they aren't. They just put in the subtitles what the english voice actors say, rather than what the japanese are saying.