View Poll Results: Would you like to have met someone?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 57.14%
  • No

5 23.81%
  • My religion says I'm gonna meet them in the afterlife making this thread worthless to me

3 14.29%
  • Sorta

8 38.10%
  • Poor GoBo I never met my grandma/dad either

6 28.57%
  • Q. Will this poll ever get to the making fun of GB part? A. No.

7 33.33%
  • How did you squeeze seven options out of a straight yes or no quesion!?!

13 61.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "And it seems to me you lived your life, Like a candle in the wind."

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

OOC:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa View Post
    You can still be a fool an make a lot of money. He couldn't be bothered making a new song for Diana, so he just dedicated the same song to her. Of course that's disrespectful. An what does that say about the song's lyrics? They're that impersonal, they can apply to any famous dead person?! Hardly a touching tribute then.
    Maybe, but I don't see many fools winning Grammy or Academy awards.
    [q=Wikipedia]On 31 August 1997, Princess Diana was killed in a car crash. The news immediately shocked John, as he and the Princess had been very good friends. He had also lost another good friend, the fashion designer Gianni Versace, just weeks before, and had attended his funeral with the Princess.
    As a result of these deaths, John sank into a deep depression, and considered not going to the funeral due to the emotional trauma. In the end, he decided to attend after receiving support from other friends. Following the recovery, John decided he wanted to pay a tribute to Diana. With that in mind, he contacted his veteran writing partner, Bernie Taupin. Due to the limited time available, they felt it was not possible to write a new song, and chose to re-write the lyrics to "Candle in the Wind".
    John sang "Candle In The Wind 1997" in public, for the first and only time in history, at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, in Westminster Abbey on 6 September 1997. John swore he would never play that version of the song again. John has repeatedly turned down requests to perform the song live and only plays the 1973 version at concerts. The song has also never been released on any of his albums. He has stated that he will play the song again only if requested by Diana's sons William and Harry.[/q]

I would have liked to have met my great-aunt. By all accounts she was the favourite aunt, but she was murdered by my great-uncle before I was born.

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    I do.
    [q=Wikipedia]On 31 August 1997, Princess Diana was killed in a car crash. The news immediately shocked John, as he and the Princess had been very good friends. He had also lost another good friend, the fashion designer Gianni Versace, just weeks before, and had attended his funeral with the Princess.
    As a result of these deaths, John sank into a deep depression, and considered not going to the funeral due to the emotional trauma. In the end, he decided to attend after receiving support from other friends. Following the recovery, John decided he wanted to pay a tribute to Diana. With that in mind, he contacted his veteran writing partner, Bernie Taupin. Due to the limited time available, they felt it was not possible to write a new song, and chose to re-write the lyrics to "Candle in the Wind".
    John sang "Candle In The Wind 1997" in public, for the first and only time in history, at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, in Westminster Abbey on 6 September 1997. John swore he would never play that version of the song again. John has repeatedly turned down requests to perform the song live and only plays the 1973 version at concerts. The song has also never been released on any of his albums. He has stated that he will play the song again only if requested by Diana's sons William and Harry.[/q]Have you not heard that Elton John tries to be buddies with virtually every celeb he meets, an claims to care deeply for them? In reality he probably just didn't want to attend the funeral because he was having a bad wig day. An if he couldn't knock up a new song in time, he should have just accepted that, rather than being tacky an thinking lets just rehash an old one! He's probably forgotten the lyrics to Diana's version, an that's why he sticks with the other version. At Di's funeral, he probably had the lyrics taped to his piano, with some toupee glue he had going spare.

Metallica and St. Anger say otherwise.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'll ask one more time. Please stop. This thread isn't "Is Elton John a fool". If you feel so inclined to talk about that, make your own thread about it.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

OOC:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa View Post
    I do.
    Such as?
    [q]Have you not heard that Elton John tries to be buddies with virtually every celeb he meets, an claims to care deeply for them? In reality he probably just didn't want to attend the funeral because he was having a bad wig day. An if he couldn't knock up a new song in time, he should have just accepted that, rather than being tacky an thinking lets just rehash an old one! He's probably forgotten the lyrics to Diana's version, an that's why he sticks with the other version. At Di's funeral, he probably had the lyrics taped to his piano, with some toupee glue he had going spare.[/Q]
    You have made plenty of assertions there with no foundation whatsoever.

[q=Rengori]Metallica and St. Anger say otherwise.[/q]
    Touché!
    But I suppose they deserved to - they had already made it with several genuinely brilliant albums.

Speaking of Metallica, it would be cool to have a conversation with Cliff Burton just to see what he would think about the fact that he was about to become a serious martyr for his music. And Dimebag Darrell too.

Such as?
    To name a couple: Justin Timberlake. Beyonce.
    You have made plenty of assertions there with no foundation. whatsoever.
    How do you know? You don't know whether everything said in that Wikipedia article is true, just like you don't know whether anything I said was true or not.

nope. can't say i genuinely wish to have met anyone i haven't.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Okay guys, can we please get back to the topic at hand? If you want to discuss Elton John's talent, or lack thereof, please make a thread in the Lounge in which to do so. Thank you!

My grandma had 9(!) children, giving me many uncles and aunts. One of them died when he was 6 or so by chasing a ball into a street and getting hit by a car. I know it sounds movie-ish, but it does happen!

Of course, that was waay before I even existed, before my mom existed in fact, but to think I had a whole Uncle that would be and now never will. He could have been the "favorite Uncle", you know?