Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "I am so much older than I can take."

(。◕‿‿◕。) Recognized Member Jojee's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moogle

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    I miss watching my slinky go down some stairs and being so totally entertained by it.
    Oh slinkyyyy... and gak! Anyone remember Gak?

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I miss when Lego was more do-it-yourself than all these different series like "Harry Potter", "Bionicles", etc...I bought my Lego by the buckets.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    I miss when Lego was more do-it-yourself than all these different series like "Harry Potter", "Bionicles", etc...I bought my Lego by the buckets.
    Als tat Ich.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by bipper View Post
    A more obscure song reference, but I kept the long dead trend GOEing, dammit.

Anywys, I was thinking of how ridiculously old and crab Rastilin is and I decided to bring this up -

I want you all to post a rant about the good old days, your good old days. Young people, post about power rangers or Pokemon. Just something about your good ol days, and what made them awesome. Then sulk over your age, and the fact that you will be to old to enjoy anything in a few decades.
    The Power Rangers were my imaginary friends

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jojee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    I miss watching my slinky go down some stairs and being so totally entertained by it.
    Oh slinkyyyy... and gak! Anyone remember Gak?
    Gak was rad. I was totally amazed when I couldn't punch a hole through it.

In New Zealand Pogs were rare. I had a tube of them from England, but most kids had Glow Caps which were Pogs with glow paint on them or Tazos which were plastic Pogs with interlocking grooves around the edges. <a href="http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/Trading-cards/Other/auction-112199882.htm">These</a> are the newer Glow Caps, which I never collected. The older ones were so much cooler. I had a bunch of glow slammers too.

I miss yoyos, trading basketball cards, <a href="http://www.trademe.co.nz/Toys-models/Other/auction-111545360.htm">chatter rings</a>, <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/LOOK-165-ODDBODZ-GLOW-ZONE-CARDS-FLIPPIN-FOLDER_W0QQitemZ110157757573QQihZ001QQcategoryZ51019QQcmdZViewItem">Oddbodz</a>, the original Funfax with all the detective stuff and I miss building dinosaurs with those weekly magazines that came with one piece of a dinosaur skeleton that I tried so hard to convince my parents to let me buy. And I totally miss my Dr. Dread edible chemistry set.

Alien Autopsy

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Oh, the alien theme reminds me: Alf.

When I said kids today don't know who Nirvana is, I was getting it from a reliable source. My brother is a high school teacher and none of his students know who Nirvana is. None of them now. None of then when he was student teaching. He was surprised. He told me and I was just as surprised. How could kids today not know who Nirvana is? Apparently they don't. And the fact that it's muzak at your local Wal-Mart pretty much seals the deal.

But yeah. Gak made a farting noise when you stuck your finger in it. That was back when you were young enough to think a farting noise was funny.

Anyone remember You Can't Do That On Television? When I was a kid, I thought that was a great show. However, recently on reading some websites, apparently a lot of people thought it was great when they were kids, then had their childhood memories ruined for them by seeing it as an adult. Kind of like what happened to me with The Super Mario Brothers Super Show. I should have just kept my memories. Never should have bought that DVD.

And one final thought in this post:

'80s music will never be oldies. If '80s music were going to be oldies, it would have been oldies by now.
    Last edited by The Ceej; 08-20-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Tyop...Wow, Even A Typo In The Reason Line...

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    When I said kids today don't know who Nirvana is, I was getting it from a reliable source. My brother is a high school teacher and none of his students know who Nirvana is. None of them now. None of then when he was student teaching. He was surprised. He told me and I was just as surprised. How could kids today not know who Nirvana is? Apparently they don't. And the fact that it's muzak at your local Wal-Mart pretty much seals the deal.
    Where on God's green earth do you live where people don't know who Nirvana is?
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori View Post
    I think I figured it out. You're reading me wrong. I didn't say people don't know who Nirvana is. I said the kids don't know who they are. Because the kids are too young to remember them. Which makes me feel old because I remember when they were popular and it doesn't seem like that long ago. But think about it. That was fifteen years ago. Well...almost. Now I really feel old. Using phrases like "fifteen years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rengori View Post
    I think I figured it out. You're reading me wrong. I didn't say people don't know who Nirvana is. I said the kids don't know who they are. Because the kids are too young to remember them.
    I'm 14, kids are people to me. Like I said, I don't know where you are but everyone here knows who Nirvana is.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Tons of highschoolers know about Nirvana here, and they wont shut up about them either. I hate them.

I remember when All That! was on tv. And how all the shows on Nick were like game shows. My entire childhood I wanted to be on Legends of the Hidden Temple, but when I got old enough to possibly go to it they canceled it.

I remember singing the my little pony theme everytime it came on. I collectedd the my little ponies :P. And when the first power rangers, and the movie, were the best of the series.

I feel old now and I'm only 17. I hate you Bip.

At this point I have two options:

1. Turn this thread into a thread about Nirvana
    Or
    2. Just let it go and stay on topic.

Hmmm....

Anyone remember the movie Killer Klowns From Outer Space? That movie was funny in a way that I don't believe many movies ever tried to follow. Completely straight while the humor is in the ridicularity of the plot.

People are buying record players now because they have more "feeling" in the music? Hell, I had a record player when I was a kid. I know how a record sounds. Scratchy. I have one now, but only to play the records I still have from when I was a kid.

All For Leyna by Billy Joel and Died In Your Arms Tonight by The Cutting Crew start with the same tune played by different instruments. Don't believe me? <del>Download them</del>Buy the albums. They even came out the same year, so who copied whom?

<url ="http://myspacebashing.com/viewtopic.php?t=872"><url ="http://myspacebashing.com/viewtopic.php?t=872">I remember when kids' songs actually were kids' songs. Now they're just remakes of popular songs of the day sung by kids.</url></url>
    I linked that segment to a whole post about that I wrote on another forum last year. It's a lot more appropriate than getting into it here.

Remember when they used to rerelease the classic Disney movies every seven years in the theaters? Now all they do is release a sequel or remake of said movies.

Yeah. The '80s and '90s. That was a time when there was actually stuff worth watching on TV. Now television is crammed with all these reality shows. I know there were a few before it, but if it weren't for that piece of crap, Survivor, television producers wouldn't have realized that they can pay pennies to get crap on the air and people would watch it almost as much as if they paid a decent amount for a quality show that may or may not succeed.

Anyone remember those hollow half-balls? You know. The ones you turn inside out and set on the table. Then you wait a few minutes and it jumps off the table. What were those called?

Well. I could go on, but I'll just come back later with more.

EDIT: I confronted my brother when he came home from work. It turns out he just told me that so I'd repeat it and make an ass out of myself. He denies he ever said it. I know he did because I don't know any other highschool teachers. Now he's telling me that kids today don't know who Alanis Morrissette is. I'm not going to fall for it this time.
    Last edited by The Ceej; 08-20-2007 at 11:27 PM.