Thread: Gankutsuous:The Count of Monte Cristo

thereisafroginmystomach Evolavas's Avatar

Default Gankutsuous:The Count of Monte Cristo

I've heard a lot about this series and am interested in checking it out.

Anyone here have any thoughts on the series.

I'm interested in hearing what you guys have to say, not what a link to animenewsnetwork or any of that jazz may say.

Ty

~RIP owen~

I've never heard of it in my life.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

By Alexandre dumbass
    ...Geddit?

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

This Is One Of The Best Anime I Have Ever Seen.

Whenever I list anime that people should watch, whether they're new anime fans or long-time anime fans, Gankutsuou is always on it. The only downside to watching Gankutsuou if you're new to anime is that it will destroy your desire to watch anything of lesser quality.

I had a friend who was going nuts over Ruroni Kenshin, which is a good show in itself. He was a new anime fan and was ordering all of the DVDs through me. I let him borrow my Gankutsuou DVDs, and when he returned them he told me that he doesn't even feel like watching Kenshin anymore. He actually sold off the Kenshin DVDs I had brought in for him.

Another thing, the physical DVDs themselves are the most gorgeous I have ever seen. The complex art style of the show itself carries over to the DVDs that have layered art on it, giving it an impressive sense of depth. Definitely buy the DVDs if you are able to, the show is TOP quality (visually and plot-wise) and absolutely worth it.

The art may put you off at first. It is quite odd, because they use something like Photoshop layers that stay still while the characters move. Try not to get turned off by it. It is distracting at first, but you should get used to it eventually. If you watch it in Japanese with the subtitles it might help since you're focused slightly more on the subs than trying to figure out what you're supposed to be looking at.

Final note. I've found that anime that are based off of books tend to turn out pretty well. Twelve Kingdoms, though 'incomplete', is an excellent show and I'd put it about on par with Gankutsuou in terms of storytelling. The Crest/Banner of the Stars series, also based on a series of novels, is another top quality show. Something brand new, Seirei no Moribito/Guardian of the Sacred Spirit is shaping up to be some good storytelling anime as well. Gankutsuou is based on the Count of Monte Cristo book. Though it does take a few artistic liberties with the plot, it stays a very well written and tight plot about revenge.

Gankutsuou is in the toppest-of-top-tier anime for me. Buy it.

thereisafroginmystomach Evolavas's Avatar

Thanks JK, the art was one of my only doubts, but it looks as if all is good.

~RIP owen~