Thread: The Descent

Default The Descent

I just finished watchng this film. Im really frightened at the moment, that scared the out of me. Anyone else seen it? I think i need to call up the building company, coz I just shat out 1000 bricks.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If this is the film I think it is, my opinion is that it sucks. A lot.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Haha..Oh the end of this film made me laugh...not scary to me sadly.. very disappoint..the beginning cave exploration parts did kill my nerves though!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Wait, there was a movie that was similar to this one that sucked. This one was okay, I guess.

There was a film called The Cave that sucked. The Descent was an awesome film about a group of female cavers who run into... problems.

Apparently they changed the ending for US audiences. What's the new ending like, Stoner?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I remember correctly, (SPOILER)she falls down some hole onto a pile of bones or something, leading to the way out. She escapes and then wakes up to find she was knocked out by the fall and is still in the cave. I guess that's the original ending, whereas in America, it cut the part where she awakes back in the cave.

I saw maybe the last hour or so of the movie. Didn't impress me much. I can see how the concept could be freaky (in the same way much of the first Silent Hill is creepy), but I wasn't overly impressed, though it was better than most horror offerings of the last few years.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Burtsplurt View Post
    There was a film called The Cave that sucked. The Descent was an awesome film about a group of female cavers who run into... problems.

Apparently they changed the ending for US audiences. What's the new ending like, Stoner?
    That's the one I was thinking of. It really did suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    That's the one I was thinking of. It really did suck.

Everyone for thier own opinions.

dude i hated this movie...it was kinda creepy and the monsters were cool but the whole daughter and insanity thing just made me cringe...

The Cave was a horrible movie. The Descent, however, was a great movie.

I loved The Descent! Although I sort of giggled the first time I saw one of the monsters because it looked like Gollum. Other than that, great stuff. Most horror movies are in such a hurry to get people dying they forget to make an actual character so it's worthwhile, but this one made me like them before hit the fan.

Saw this in the cinema a couple of years ago and it was fantastic fun. A real edge of the seater and the scares worked well on the big screen. Didn't stop me sleeping soundly after but I still recommend it to people who like horror movies.
    Have it on dvd now and eventhough my TV is huge and I've a kick ass surround sound set up, it's not as good as in the cinema. That said, it's still well worth a look and much better than any horror I've seen in ages. The director, Neil Marshall's, previous movie was also low budget but no less fun. Dog Soldiers it's called and it's very funny as well as being a nerve shredder. Seek it out!!
    And for the record, The Cave was one of the worst 'movies' I've ever seen.
    I will never be a memory.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked how well the movie played with claustrophobia and nyctophobia.[q=Vivi22]If I remember correctly, (SPOILER)she falls down some hole onto a pile of bones or something, leading to the way out. She escapes and then wakes up to find she was knocked out by the fall and is still in the cave. I guess that's the original ending, whereas in America, it cut the part where she awakes back in the cave.[/q]Yeah, that's basically it. (SPOILER)The fall knocked out her temporarily, and she dreamed about escaping and then being attacked by one of the creatures in her car. The shock woke her up, and she saw that she was trapped with no way out, at which point she started to hallucinate that her daughter was with her. She just sat down and let herself get lost in the illusion, presumably until she died. A bit more grim than the US ending, apparently.[q=Vivi22]I saw maybe the last hour or so of the movie. Didn't impress me much.[/q]That'd be the problem - only seeing the last half of the film. You'd miss out on the character introductions and quirks, and more importantly you'd miss the slow ratcheting-up of the tension and fear.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    [q=Vivi22]I saw maybe the last hour or so of the movie. Didn't impress me much.[/q]That'd be the problem - only seeing the last half of the film. You'd miss out on the character introductions and quirks, and more importantly you'd miss the slow ratcheting-up of the tension and fear.
    Considering the movie's only an hour and a half long, and based on the plot summary on wikipedia I didn't miss much. But the fact that I wasn't bothered by it at all shouldn't be seen as a knock against the movie. I've yet to come across a horror movie that can so much as creep me out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Stoner View Post
    I just finished watchng this film. Im really frightened at the moment, that scared the out of me. Anyone else seen it? I think i need to call up the building company, coz I just shat out 1000 bricks.
    Are you sure you weren't just stoned while watching this?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."