Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bioshock reviews are extremely high!!!

Default Bioshock reviews are extremely high!!!

The reviews for Bioshock are pouring in, they are insanely high!!!

BioShock (xbox360: 2007): Reviews
    97% from 17 critical reviews(11 100%'s!), 91% from 271 user votes

BioShock Reviews
    97% from 12 critical reviews(7 100%'s!), 85% from 27 user votes

I'm very interested in this game. Currently I plan to rent this game but I don't know if I will beat it or buy it. This is because it's a first person shooter with rpg elements, and I don't like first person shooters. What do you think of these reviews?
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Must change name: NikoKun Tidus Andronicus's Avatar

I just downloaded the Demo for BioShock:

The Rapture is Upon Us!
    (pc version)

I'm surprised so many websites are giving it 10/10 or close to that...
    Sounds like its gonna be good, but dono... it's taking a LONG time to download... after an hour or 2 it's only got 34%.

Normally I'm not interested in such games, but we'll see.

I'm still waiting for the next half life games, and portal, and spore, etc... xD
    Wii Friends Code: 1253-3744-4913-5203
    AKA: NikoKun

I played it yesterday. It's really interiguing. I'd buy it if I had an Xbox 360. Or at least rent it.

After playing the demo, I'm going to rent this and abuse the Blockbuster no return fees policy like no other.
    What I've been listening to:

Must change name: NikoKun Tidus Andronicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Bandito View Post
    After playing the demo, I'm going to rent this and abuse the Blockbuster no return fees policy like no other.
    Well, from what I've got so far from this Demo... the story would certainly get me to play, although I can't say the controls and gameplay are anything that new. lol

Maybe a game I'll torrent and cheat at just for fun in the future... who knows...

I will say the graphics are as sharp as any and the concept's not bad.

Can't believe this is getting so many good reviews though... I wonder what they're seeing that I'm not. lol or are ratings based on highest bidders... lol

I've only played the demo for a few minutes... I'll try more tomorrow, it'll probably get better.
    Wii Friends Code: 1253-3744-4913-5203
    AKA: NikoKun

Quote Originally Posted by El Bandito View Post
    Just so you know, after like 30 days they force you to buy it. =\
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

That's why you return it on the 29th day. I'm sure I can get through the recommended 20 hour number I hear it takes in under a month.

And what they're seeing that you're not is the full game, since it hasn't come out to the public until today.
    What I've been listening to:

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Tidus Andronicus View Post
    Can't believe this is getting so many good reviews though... I wonder what they're seeing that I'm not.

I've only played the demo for a few minutes... I'll try more tomorrow, it'll probably get better.
    You're just playing a demo, reviewers have had the full game. Definitely play it a little more, though. The gameplay hook for Bioshock is the Plasmids. It gives you toys to play with in the environment. You only get 2 Plasmids in the demo (Lightning and Fire), and there are quite a few things you can do with just those.

For one thing, if you set someone on fire and there's water nearby, they'll dive into the water to douse themselves. Then you can use the lightning to shock them (and anything else nearby) while they're in the water. That's probably one of the most basic things you can do.

In the demo, I've heard you can hack the security bots and even make a molotov cocktail (bottle of alcohol+fire=boombottle).

It's about creativity. If you don't play the game creatively, you'll probably think it's a decent shooter but not see what the hype is about. The game encourages you to try different things in the game. If you ever had a "I wonder if I can do this..." thought, try it. It might work.

When you finish the demo, watch the video that plays. It shows you a couple of the other creative combinations you can use.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    In the demo, I've heard you can hack the security bots and even make a molotov cocktail (bottle of alcohol+fire=boombottle).
    Hacking is a lot of fun. Very useful, too. Never even thought of the molotov thing, but I'll have to try it next time.

The demo is awesome. My exact words were "Dear holy smurfing god". I had time to play it once after it finished downloading, before I had to go to bed, and after just that one play I had a dream about the damn game

My preorder is in, Amazon should be shipping it as soon as they're allowed.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Played the demo at least 5 times, and I find a new reason to love it ever time.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

You know I've had the demo for over a week, but I haven't played it all the way through myself. I watched my cousin play it through to completion though (on my Xbox). Do they explain how to hack the drones in the game? That didn't appear at all when I was watching him go through it.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    You know I've had the demo for over a week, but I haven't played it all the way through myself. I watched my cousin play it through to completion though (on my Xbox). Do they explain how to hack the drones in the game? That didn't appear at all when I was watching him go through it.
    Yes, they do, you have to move pipes in a certain order so that all the liquid pumps into another end, or you can pay it.

Bioshock was released today. I think the EB Games and Gamestop near me were probably open at midnite and had a huge line outside the building. I'll rent it in a few days, I got a little bit more work to do on Persona 3, which is good(strength is story, characters, and voice acting), but I don't need to buy it or beat it, it's about as good as Rogue Galaxy.
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Got the collector's edition yesterday. Very good game, easily one of the best fps shooter's I have ever played. Story is actually really interesting for a shooter and the big daddy fights are killer. A great game deserving of its review scores imo.

Can you give us some information about the game that we may not know of from the previews? Is there anything new that you found out about the game after getting it that we didn't know? I wonder if there is anything new.

What are the "rpg elements" in this game besides the Plasmids?
    *Last Update 7-25-2008