Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF7: Earth, or elsewhere?

Default FF7: Earth, or elsewhere?

There has been some discussion, off and on, over wheteher or not the FF7 world is supposed to be our own sweet home, 3rd stone from the sun. Obviously it would be an alternate reality of some sort, but the fact remains there is a poster of Texas in Tifa's bar, and Mr. Strife can order "Korean BBQ" at the diner in Wall Market. So, whadda you think? POST YOUR COMMENTS, MORTALS.

Quote Originally Posted by B Wald View Post
    There has been some discussion, off and on, over wheteher or not the FF7 world is supposed to be our own sweet home, 3rd stone from the sun. Obviously it would be an alternate reality of some sort, but the fact remains there is a poster of Texas in Tifa's bar, and Mr. Strife can order "Korean BBQ" at the diner in Wall Market. So, whadda you think? POST YOUR COMMENTS, MORTALS.
    Don't drive yourself crazy with stuff like this that was never meant to be intended but is only around because of the wild imaginations some of the people who play the game have.

They also have Japanese writing all over the place. But does that mean it takes place on Earth? No. The reason it is has Japanese writing all over buildings is because the game was made in Japan.

You think the people who made the game are going to take the time to create an entirely new language and beverage line and state map? No they aren't. If they want to decorate the walls or backgrounds or whatever they are just going to do it with things they are already familiar with.

None of it means the game took place on some futuristic Earth.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

According to supernova, it is earth.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I just say earth in conversation, but I've seen in other places that it's supposed to be Gaia. I use the age-old philosophy: It's just a game, who really cares?

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's obviously not our Earth although it is in the same solar system and is named Gaia (which is just another word for Earth). I guess they just wanted to make it feel as close to the players as possible.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quick note: I can't remember where I read this, so I can't link, but most of the solar system Supernova animation was added for versions outside the US. I never looked into it myself. If that's the case than we can't rely on the Supernova animation.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Apparently you're right... except it's Japan and not the US: Japanese Supernova of Sephiroth - YouTube

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Apparently you're right... except it's Japan and not the US: Japanese Supernova of Sephiroth - YouTube

D'OH! I actually meant to say the opposite. Yeah, the Japanese one is shorter, and the animation that US players got was added for that version.

Banned

FFVII is post-middle ages in FF land. Think about it- you have Midgar who just discovered electricity, and guns are prominent.
    The rest of FF land is using swords and magic.

Makes sense to me

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

There are of course issues with trusting the Supernova video, not just because it was added for non-Japanese audiences but also because the solar system can be destroyed twice or more. That animation has been discussed here before and it was kind of agreed that it was merely a demonstration of how powerful it is and isn't very literal.

The various "Earthly" references seen in the game are purely there as homages. Its far easier for people to put in images that we'll relate to and respond to in the way that they want if they simply use Earth stuff. For instance, Tifa's bar is meant to have that typical atmosphere you'd find in a Texan bar obviously. How better to communicate that then to throw a neon Texas sign in there? And in regards to the Supernova animation, it might be a bit easier to understand the gravity (no pun intended) of Sephiroth's attack when you see your own solar system destroyed rather than a couple of random planets.

The fact they always refer to the planet as "the Planet" is enough for me to realise it's not Earth.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    There are of course issues with trusting the Supernova video, not just because it was added for non-Japanese audiences but also because the solar system can be destroyed twice or more. That animation has been discussed here before and it was kind of agreed that it was merely a demonstration of how powerful it is and isn't very literal.

The various "Earthly" references seen in the game are purely there as homages. Its far easier for people to put in images that we'll relate to and respond to in the way that they want if they simply use Earth stuff. For instance, Tifa's bar is meant to have that typical atmosphere you'd find in a Texan bar obviously. How better to communicate that then to throw a neon Texas sign in there? And in regards to the Supernova animation, it might be a bit easier to understand the gravity (no pun intended) of Sephiroth's attack when you see your own solar system destroyed rather than a couple of random planets.

The fact they always refer to the planet as "the Planet" is enough for me to realise it's not Earth.
    Definitely true. There must be lots of people out there who take things slightly more seriously than they should. It would be kind of silly for them to design nine entirely new planets in space just to show animation for an enemy attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    According to supernova, it is earth.
    I just call it The Planet, but yeah, Sephiroth's use of Supernova does make me think it might actually be Earth, or some variation of it.
    Vote in my EoFF Popularity Poll for every game and character in the series thus far: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8N6VZ98!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The planet that Final Fantasy VII is inspired by our own planet, undoubtedly, but I think it is meant to represent a different, fictional planet despite the animation of Supernova.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

dont see no midgar or nothing on my planet so its not earth. duh