Thread: Please explain the ending of Gantz (best anime in the world)

Default Please explain the ending of Gantz (best anime in the world)

Okay, so throughout the whole anime, I'm like "wow, this is amazing" and surprisingly enough, I actually understand what is going on. I am hooked after the third episode and quickly zip to the ending.

The last episode, I am sooo freaked out, this is my first completed anime! I log out of MSN, turn out the lights, sit back and enjoy. But there's one problem, as I am sitting in front of my computer in tears, I don't understand what just happened! Okay, so the game is finished, Korono and that other girl (forger her name right now) are still alive and should be transported back to the room now, right? Well they randomly go to the subway station where Korono died in the first episode and he faces the train again? I don't get it, please explain. Also, any good suggestions as to what should be my next anime? But please people, don't make this into a thread where you blurt out your favourite anime, just explain the ending to me. :) Thanks.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I haven't watched the end of Gantz, but I have watched enough anime series to know that the exact same thing happens in the end. So for the benefit of yourself I'll condense it down and hopefully it'll correlate with your desire for an explanation.

A is the protagonist, comprised of different characters or factions. B is the first antagonist, comprised of different characters, factions and usually an unknown element. C is the true antagonist, which turns out to be a derivative of the unknown element of B. A and B fight for a bit, then A realises B isn't really the enemy, so starts fighting C. A and C duke it out. Now one of four possible scenarios occurs;

1. Everyone dies due to a large explosion/bullets/lasers/etc
    2. Everyone evolves into a higher state of being
    3. One of the people within A dies due to a large explosion/bullets/lasers/etc
    4. One of the people within A evolves into a higher state of being

Obviously if 1 occurs, simultaneously 3 occurs, as is the same for 2 and 4. On occasion 1 and 4 may occur in that the person described in 4 is exempt from the fate described in 1. The death thing is obvious enough. The evolution thing can take on many forms but often involves the person either turning into pure energy, some new biological entity through the melding of another species, or a new technological entity through the melding of a piece of technology of some description. It is common for this fate to be shown through obscure images and vague narrative descriptions. Hence the confusion that tends to occur.

Hope that helps.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power View Post
    I haven't watched the end of Gantz, but I have watched enough anime series to know that the exact same thing happens in the end. So for the benefit of yourself I'll condense it down and hopefully it'll correlate with your desire for an explanation.

A is the protagonist, comprised of different characters or factions. B is the first antagonist, comprised of different characters, factions and usually an unknown element. C is the true antagonist, which turns out to be a derivative of the unknown element of B. A and B fight for a bit, then A realises B isn't really the enemy, so starts fighting C. A and C duke it out. Now one of four possible scenarios occurs;

1. Everyone dies due to a large explosion/bullets/lasers/etc
    2. Everyone evolves into a higher state of being
    3. One of the people within A dies due to a large explosion/bullets/lasers/etc
    4. One of the people within A evolves into a higher state of being

Obviously if 1 occurs, simultaneously 3 occurs, as is the same for 2 and 4. On occasion 1 and 4 may occur in that the person described in 4 is exempt from the fate described in 1. The death thing is obvious enough. The evolution thing can take on many forms but often involves the person either turning into pure energy, some new biological entity through the melding of another species, or a new technological entity through the melding of a piece of technology of some description. It is common for this fate to be shown through obscure images and vague narrative descriptions. Hence the confusion that tends to occur.

Hope that helps. :cool:

Lol I get what you mean, kind of but it doesn't really help. In Gantz (SPOILER)everybody dies and HUGE unexpected things happen. Thanks for your help, though. Oh, and I have found a new anime, its called 'Serial Experiment Lain.' On the third episode, and its pretty good.

Did you watch all 26 eps of Gantz, or just the first 13? If you only watch the first 13 that'd explain your not understanding, and Lain is an awesome series.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Is the Key View Post
    Did you watch all 26 eps of Gantz, or just the first 13? If you only watch the first 13 that'd explain your not understanding, and Lain is an awesome series.

I said, the ENDING of Gantz, didn't I? Lol, but yes, I did watch all 26 episodes, and I don't get the ending, if you can explain, please do!

Quote Originally Posted by tidus_rox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Is the Key View Post

I said, the ENDING of Gantz, didn't I? Lol, but yes, I did watch all 26 episodes, and I don't get the ending, if you can explain, please do!
    It's been like 2 years since I've seen Gantz, so I couldn't explain much, but I asked if you'd seen 26 or 13 because someone once asked me that before, and they'd only seen 13.