Thread: The Fountain

Default The Fountain

What did everyone think of this movie? I think it was absolutely fantastic and very powerful. Not to mention the visuals and direction were done very well. The music is absolutely wonderful; I bought the soundtrack (favourite track is Tree of Life, by the way).

The only reason I saw it was because a friend had imported it on DVD, as it was not released in Australia (or hasn't been). It stars Hugh Jackman, who I don't mind as an actor generally, but he played the part extremely well in this movie.

So, tell me what you guys thought of this movie.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I think this is the first movie that I heard more hype about the soundtrack than the actual film. Well, I bought that soundtrack and it is SWEET. I gotta actually watch the movie one of these days.
    What I've been listening to:

That movie completely blew me away, and has definitely become one of my favorites. No matter how many times I watch it, the ending never ceases to overwhelm me. Hugh Jackman was AMAZING.

I remember being really irritated after seeing it in theaters, because most of the audience just didn't get it, and as such they hated it. But it's a lot of fun talking theories with people who did enjoy it, because everyone seems to have completely different ideas of what the movie was about.

Oh, and of course, I loved the soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bandito View Post
    I think this is the first movie that I heard more hype about the soundtrack than the actual film. Well, I bought that soundtrack and it is SWEET. I gotta actually watch the movie one of these days.
    I listened to the soundtrack before I watched the movie as well. It was my father who introduced me to the music, and kept telling me that I really need to see the movie. I was not disappointed when I did; go see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee View Post
    No matter how many times I watch it, the ending never ceases to overwhelm me.
    That's the same for me. Suspense from the events just leading up to the end, right till where the (SPOILER)nebula explodes just made my heart rush so much while trying to keep my tears in -- haven't felt that in a movie for a very long time.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I thought it was amazing when I went to see it in the cinema. There were only 15 or so people there, and a good number of those left well before it finished, but those who stayed loved it. It's a very divisive film. I think a lot of people don't "get" it because Aronofsky doesn't treat viewers like idiots. It requires thought and observation and emotional attachment.

I've never heard music that so perfectly complements a film. The soundtrack is great.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After you've seen the movie, the soundtrack is much more moving, too. Not that I would know, but they're so closely tied together that I can't really imagine enjoying the soundtrack very much if I hadn't seen the movie...even though it's beautiful music. I don't know where I'm trying to go with this. =( I'm just glad I saw the movie first, and experienced the music at the same time!

Probably my favourite movie. I saw it twice in theaters, and that wasn't enough. I'd buy a massive tv just for this movie. It's been years since I've had visuals affect me so much.

This was also the first time I really loved Hugh Jackman, too. Never really took him seriously before.

I went with a group of 6 or 7 people to see it, and everyone disliked it but me. ;P
    --Box Box Box Box

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I fell asleep during parts of it. But during other parts, I was completely transfixed.

In terms of entertainment, storytelling, characterization, etc. It sucked. Really. Just, completely all over the place, and it draaaaaagged in places despite being a very very short film.

In terms of artistry and trying something different it was pretty amazing.

I would not watch this movie a 2nd time.

Never heard of it.
    Theaters? DVD?
    I'm curious about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Just, completely all over the place...
    Must have been because you fell asleep during parts of it.

To me, it wasn't dragged on at any stage, and it wasn't that confusing to follow along. Infact, I love how they did it. It was very easy to distinguish between the storylines, and see how they relate to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    Never heard of it.
    Theaters? DVD?
    I'm curious about it now.
    It came out last year, so you could probably find it on DVD somewhere.

I loved the movie. I didn't see it in theaters, and those who had had very mixed reactions about it when I asked them what they thought of it. It sounded good to me, and I am so glad that I finally saw it. Definitely Hugh Jackman at his best.

Though, as much as the music is so highly acclaimed, I didn't think it was quite as wonderful as everyone else did. I think the themes throughout the pieces were good, there's no mistake there. But the way that the composer implemented them just... didn't seem to grab my attention as much as I was hoping.

But where I found the music lacking in drawing me in, the visuals and brilliant acting most certainly made up for it. That and actually having to think about a film. So many movies just hand you the real meaning these days. It was nice to see something where I could think about the true meaning and value of the film. You don't see that so often any more.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Just, completely all over the place...
    Must have been because you fell asleep during parts of it.

To me, it wasn't dragged on at any stage, and it wasn't that confusing to follow along. Infact, I love how they did it. It was very easy to distinguish between the storylines, and see how they relate to each other.
    I watched it on DVD. Everytime I fell asleep, I just went back and watched it over.

I don't think it was confusing either. Just pretentious and trying too hard to seem symbolic and meaningful.

I really loved the movie, confusing at some parts though. Although it was done in such a way that lets the viewer kind of make up their own conclusion/theory as to the story (i.e., were the two main characters Adam and Eve, etc...). One of the best soundtracks to a movie, period. Favorite song would have to be Death is the Road to Awe.

Just pretentious and trying too hard to seem symbolic and meaningful.
    I never perceived it in such a way, but each to their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythra View Post
    One of the best soundtracks to a movie, period. Favorite song would have to be Death is the Road to Awe.
    I would have to absolutely agree with you there, though before seeing the movie I would have said Tree of Life is my favourite.

Cool thanks. I'll have to check it out this weekend