Thread: Damn, I feel old...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Damn, I feel old...

So I recently got back in touch with an old friend of mine from High school and started chatting it up (vodka was involved) about our jobs and how much we hate them as well as how little we've both really done with our lives...

Now he likes to reminisce about the "good old days" whereas I have gone out of my way to block such things from my memory. It's funny too cause he busted out the old yearbooks (I swear he was waiting to hear from me again just so he can torture me with this nonsense...) Not only do I not remember a third of my class (a total of 15 people btw, go private christian schools!) but I was just alarmed to learn what has happened to so many people I knew. Hell my school doesn't even exist anymore.

The whole thing got us reminiscing and it hit us midway through the conversation how much time seems to have passed. Am I the only one who remember the 80's and 90's like they were yesterday. I have to look at a calender just remind me that this decade is almost over and I barely remember any of it.

So who else feels like they are wasting their youth?

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Sometimes when I look back over the past 10 years I start to wonder if I've accomplished anything of importance, whether I'd just wasted time playing games and whatnot. But I dunno. I don't think of any of that time wasted. It was not the conventional way of spending time forpeople my age where I lived, but I figure it's time well spent, if I iddn't do those things at the time, when would I have done them?

I have made it a mission to pick up as many new hobbies on the way as I can. Over the past year I've learned quite a bunch of new things. It doesn't matter if they stuck. It is most likely that what I enjoyed themost will stick, but at least I got the chance to experience them.

I felt like that for a couple of years after leaving university. I'd finished my education and I think that's the point that I felt I should be doing something with my life, progressing. I didn't really enjoy my job, either.

I think you've just got to make a decision to change things. I decided to become a teacher instead, a job which I really enjoy. Oh, and keep on learning and exploring. I've never really been travelling before, but I've just come back from Poland and I want to visit more places now. I went to Auschwitz and that had quite a big effect on me.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

It doesn't say in your profile Wolf -- how old be you? I'm almost 28 (ARGH) and I've thoroughly divorced myself from high school. I still live in the same town, but I literally have not seen or met or even heard of anybody from that world for years now. Well, actually apparently one of my classmates' younger sister saw my younger brother and recognised him. That's it.

In fact, there was a reunion sometime this year, and I had NO IDEA. The only reason I know that it happened was out of nostalgia and joining all of the facebook communities. I saw one '[high school name] reuinon' and went' wtf' and found out xD

No I'm not wasting my youth. I'm 22, I still watch Power Rangers and am going back to college (in the British sense of the word, immediate continuation of high school ending at 16) a week today. One of my former babysitting jobs now regularly hangs out with me and it infuriates him and his friends that I still know how to spot a chav and have identified them as such.

Just because I type and talk like a pompous bastard at times doesn't mean I've gotten old, but then this ideation that I haven't gotten old may well be the ultimate sign of it: I can't stand it when people even try to act like they're my age. I guess I have lost my youth, but I haven't finished losing my immaturity.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Older than 28 here... Yeah, high school reunions are uber depressing. The jock who got arrested, the three or four who died due to drugs or violence. The nice girl who turned ... And then there are the success stories of people who are having so much more fun, making so much more money than you.

Ugh... They should be outlawed!
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm younger than you Pureghetto but not by much...

I forgot to mention a real funny story of how old I feel. I used to babysit for my church (this is one of many reasons why I can't stand children btw) and recently I ran into one of the younger girls I used to baysit. She was 5 maybe six years old back then but now she was a 16 possibly 17 year old piece of stunning jailbait... She asked to me marry her when she was six though

To be honest, I'm better off than most of schoolmates. Most are either knocked up, knocked someone else up, are on drugs and going to rehab, or piddling away their lives with the fairy tale notion of the "nuclear family" and struggling to make ends meet. Most are pretty depressed about how their lives have turned out. Once again, I would like to commend the outstanding job my private christian school did with preparing us for the future...

I'm annoyed that I haven't done much with my life, perhaps I have unreasobable expectations cause most of the years in High School and college I was told by many of my teachers that I had the potential more than others to make something of my life. Of anything the retrospect at least gets you thinking.

Maybe I should take this time to establish what I'm missing...

I'm most definitely wasting my youth on this "school" business. I learn more by staying home and reading than I do by attending classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

So who else feels like they are wasting their youth?
    Thats pretty much how I feel to a tea.

"NPC: Sorry this house is sealed off because of Blight"