Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac tips please!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Mac tips please!

I just got a macbook but Im still figuring some things out :P

One thing I wondered is how to uninstall programs, just delete from applications folder?? are there any good free image editing things for it on or it - I downloaded gimp but it needed some thing I didnt have..

How do I see /empty trash?

good free ftp program for mac?

I might have more questions so maybe Ill ask them here :P Thank you!
    Last edited by Xander; 08-29-2007 at 09:00 PM.
    rawr

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

1) yes, just delete them from apps. Either drag to the trashcan in the dock, or select then cmd (applekey) + del (backspace)

2) click the trashcan to view trash? ;D Uh, the folder is something like YOUR COMPUTER/users/YOUR USER/.Trashes but 'cause it has a dot, you can only see that if you have 'view hidden files/folders' on

3) good free ftp: cyberduck. I love it <3 There's a few others I have not tried, but this one is pretty great. The only downside that bugs me is that it uses a drag'n'drop interface. that is, you drag files from a finder window into your session of cyberduck.

4) Things you did not ask:
    How to do accented letters: for such as é, type alt+e and THEN your letter you want to accent. so, for é, I typed alt+e+e. Backwards accents are alt+`+letter, (key with the tilde on it next to 1!¡), so è is alt+`+e. î is alt+i+i, ü is alt+u+u, all in the same fashion. ¡ is conveniently alt+1, ¿ is not quite as conveniently alt+shift+/ (or alt+?)
    cmd++, as I just discovered is 'increase text size' and luckily for me, cmd+- is decrease text size 8)
    you can increase the ENTIRE screen size with fn + ctrl + scrolling on your touchpad.

I'm not sure if this is an option on macbooks, but on MBPs, there's an options in the touchpad thing to make a "two-finger" tap a right or cmd+click. It's super handy if you don't have a pointing device or hate using two hands to navigate. (like if you like one hand to wank while you browse!)

Common commands are cmd+r for refreshing pages, cmd+x/c/v for the usual suspects (I assume there's a more maccentric replacement, but I haven't come across it in my studies yet xD cmd+s is save, cmd+a is select all, cmd+z is undo, etc etc etc, pretty much all the usually "ctrl+" commands are replaced with cmd (apple key).

cmd+q is to quit an application, making all its windows go away, cmd+w is to close the current window or tab (explanatory, although it's annoying to cmd+q when you just wanted to close a tab in firefox )

you can alt+tab as normal, um, I would suggest turning off the dashboard because it's just annoying and a waste of resources, imho, but that's your call

Install quicksilver. Set the command sequence to something like ctrl+z (yes ctrl). This will make you so happy I promise. You don't have a start menu anymore, but you will have quicksilver.

other useful apps: firefox and thunderbird both come in mac flavors, firebird has a more maccentric spinoff(replace with appropriate word) called Camino if you like. Adium is a pretty good IM client (no voice/webcam, but ichat does those on AIM, or you can download a y!m beta)

Get rid of the crappy ms word trial and download neo office, if you feel confident, you can download a program called onyx to tinker with settings like animation times etc.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you don't want a file to get deleted, don't move it to teh trash can. You take out all your trash'd files at ONCE. So if you have a change of heart, drag it's hiney out of there.

Man, I thought Macs were supposed to be totally user friendly and do everything you wanted to without any quibble.

Check out macfixitforums.com for more advice with them, anyhow.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cool, thanks for the tips, I was thinking you might be the person to ask actually!

I didnt even notice the trashcan, Im still finding the dock a bit confusing (I set it to hide until you mouse down there which is a bit better, but cant I have programs that are open separate from those that arent.. ? )

Im sure I saw a screenshot of some wheel thing with open applications on but not sure what that was. If I get rid of the dock how will I click between stuff (or is it just a case that I should use keyboard shortcuts much more than clicking things)

(like if you like one hand to wank while you browse!)
    LOL xD Ahh yeah I just found that right click thing, it is here too, useful

Quicksilver - just found a tutorial on youtube it looks VERY useful though again I guess I should get into the habit of keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks! may ask more at some point

ReloadPsi - imo it's probably just a case of being very used to a pc and having to get used to the differences on mac, but I think its worth giving the chance , so far
    rawr

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Macs do make more sense. q=quit, but what does f4 equal?

Tip #1
    Go buy a real computer.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Ciddieless since 2004

Tip #2
    Then install Wind- *shot*
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually, if this is an Intel-based mac, she can install some virtualisation software instead and run other OSs in there
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Quote Originally Posted by crono_logical View Post
    Actually, if this is an Intel-based mac, she can install some virtualisation software instead and run other OSs in there
    VMWare and the like suck.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Well that's a downright lie.

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    Well that's a downright lie.
    Maybe if I could run anything worth while on it.

Ball of Pure being sephirothishere's Avatar

Run any OS from Linux using it ? Worthwhile? I think so~

Sephiro this here.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

then on your mac when you get it you can just install the oses straight with apple's bootcamp funthing^_^

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm getting a macbook pro at work soon - a colleague of mine uses the Parallels software to run winxp too, I do envy how he switches between them xD I think we're getting that. Hey I like my pc too but this starts up so quick

a new question :$ I tried updating itunes, other programs, but it asked me for a password, I dont remember setting one! I left it blank but I couldnt press ok
    rawr

Quote Originally Posted by sephirothishere View Post
    Run any OS from Linux using it ? Worthwhile? I think so~
    Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    then on your mac when you get it you can just install the oses straight with apple's bootcamp funthing^_^
    SHOOSH! /anti-mac

Note: Linux is great if you're a nerd who needs a life.