Thread: There is nothing wrong with linear games.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default There is nothing wrong with linear games.

Some of my favourite games are extremely linear. I dont know why so many people complain about games being linear.
    Hell I even like linear RPGs, a la FFX and pretty much every other FF.

For whoever is complaining about games being too linear, here is a video about how games that take the other option can turn sour really quickly.

YouTube - Fable: The Lost Chapters (Fullyramblomatic review)

I think the same applies to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Define linear. If it's 'with a storyline', then most games have that, yeah. And it's based on writing perhaps that people don't like it. I hope so anyway.

Games that give you too much freedom with the plot makes me mad -- I'll always feel obligated to get the 'best' storyline to be 'leet', rather than just play a game and have fun.

Blog Entries

It depends on the style of the game, really. If it's something like Metroid, it's pretty likely that not many people are going to like the game being linear, such as with Metroid Fusion, even though Metroid Fusion is probably one of my favorite Metroid Games. >_>... Ah, well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If a game is well done, it's well done. Genre and development style doesn't matter as long as it's a fun experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    If a game is well done, it's well done. Genre and development style doesn't matter as long as it's a fun experience.
    Bolivar speaks the truth.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Yeah, linear games can be fun. I'm going to remind everyone of the comments made from Penny Arcade about Enchanted Arms, here. People didn't like it because it was too linear, but they defend the title pretty nicely.

"Japanese role-playing games tend to be fairly linear in terms of narrative and feature a ton of strategic combat. These are genre staples. If you don't like those things, or if you wish they were something else, that isn't really the genre's fault. If you told me that you weren't fond of turf or kicking, I would hope that you'd have the wisdom to avoid soccer." ~ Tycho.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The more open-ended, the more likely the game will retain its fun-factor after more than one playthrough. You may play a Japanese RPG more than once because you love the story or are a stat-whore and want to level up your party, but odds are most people would prefer to play something like Grand Theft Auto far more. Being linear doesn't mean it's bad--it just means you could be missing out on a factor that could make it better.

There are good linear games and there are good non-linear games. Linearity is just another game aspect. When someone creates a great game it doesn't matter which side its aspects are leaning toward, because the game is great. That's that.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I love both n___n~

I like when they are executed nicely.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yes your right that a good game is a good game regardless of whether its linear or not. Its just odd when people hump a future game because its non-linear and vice versa.