Thread: can't seem to install wireless card

Default can't seem to install wireless card

Ok, I'm installing a D-Link 510 Wireless card for my computer, and it won't recognise the hardware, what's wrong? I'm using WinXP, I inserted the card into the white slot so that the green light is beeping on it, and the directions say to install the hardware but it doesn't recognise it. I can force it to by doing what it says after it doesn't find anything, but then it says it won't function. I don't think it's the card b/c it was working on another computer that was also XP.

Anyone know how to fix that problem?

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Is it a PCMCIA (removable and usually for laptops) or a PCI (slots into your motherboard) wireless card? I assume it's not a USB adapter. From memory I think it's a PCI card.

With many wireless cards it's imperative that you install the driver software first, and that include three DLink cards that I've used personally. It's also a good idea not to get Windows to try to install it automatically - even though a DLink has a fairly generic chipset as it is, it doesn't always work when Windows tries.

Yeah, I installed the software first, and yes, it's a PCI card that I put in the motherboard, and it has a screw that sticks out and I put a little antenna thing on it that I think is how it get wireless signals.

Yeah, I did it wrong the first time, but I took out the card after unstalling the software, then reinstalled it, then put the card back in, then reinstalled the software, then it keeps telling me after I force it to install the hardware, it says it won't function and I still don't see a wireless symbol on the taskbar.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

If you go into Device manager do you have and question marks for hardware that is not functioning correctly? If so then Uninstall the driver there and then let if find the correct drivers.

Yeah, I uninstalled them and told it to look for the drivers again but it won't find them.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weimar Pluto Knight VII View Post
    Yeah, I uninstalled them and told it to look for the drivers again but it won't find them.
    Then find the driver you want yourself. It has a browse option I believe. Install or copy the drivers to a directory you know will be easy to find and they go there and force it.