Thread: Starting Over

Default Starting Over

Lately the thought of returning to FFXI has bugged me, since I lost my account to a backstabbing friend years ago, I havent returned to FFXI (was playing WoW).

Back when I played I remember when you first logged in, it randomly assigned you a server. What if you have 2 people trying to start together, how do they get on a server together. Is there a way besides those things that someone can buy (for a lot that I remember) to 'invite' someone to a server. Or is there a way for 2 people starting together to go to same server?

They have recently implemented a system letting you choose a server, or they will do that soon. Best bet is to get a gate pass thing. It isn't much, 1.5k gil or some such.

You can choose your server now.

Awesome, thank you

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Newly created characters can select which server they head off to.

Which is lovely :3

Ok so come to find out my friends computer doesnt have a DVD Drive. Is there any way to get all the expansion files, since the only "all in 1" box I've seen being sold so far is only on dvd, not cd

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Um, if it doesn't have a DVD drive are you sure it can play this game?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I played FFXI back when it first came out in the US and I'm pretty sure I didnt have a DVD Drive back then either. It originally came in a stack of 4-5 CDs

So uh, ya I'm pretty sure it can

The easiest and quickest way to tell would be to run the benchmark program.

The newest expansion is DVD only. I don't think they released a CD version for it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

They never will release a CD version, spend the 30 bucks to get the DVD drive, takes 10-15 minutes to install and avoids lots of hassle.
    Too big.

When ToAU was released there were a lot of torrents going around for it. You still needed the actual game for the keys of course, but people used that to avoid the DVD issue. I doubt any such torrents are still active.

Also, DVD drives are pretty cheap these days. You might as well get one for your computer because it is an increasing trend for games to come out in DVD version only. Not to mention a DVD is less of a pain in the butt than 3-6 CDs for a game.

Remember 3.5" floppy drives (or 5.25" for that matter)? Those things are relics. Everyone upgraded to a better medium and it's all for the better. Technology is moving faster and faster, so it's best to keep up with the wave or you get washed under.