Thread: Has Anybody Heard Of...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Has Anybody Heard Of...

a downloadable (and free) program for making fighting games? I've tired MUGEN, which sucks, and Fighter Maker 95, which blows. Anybody have something? Much thanks.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I suppose that, with enough dedication, you could turn out a fighter from Game Maker. It’ll take a long time, though; you’ll probably have to work from the bottom up to learn Game Maker alone. And even when experienced, you’ll probably have a long, frustrating path to actually getting a fighting game to work... but I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to do it. Yes, it’s possible.

I will give you a link for Game Maker, in case you don’t know what it is. There are a lot of tutorials to help you get used to the program at the same site. You should probably check them out, if you’re interested in Game Maker.

YoYo Games

It is free, but there is also a professional available for a small sum. :)

All this being said, if you’re not able to make a fighting game in MUGEN or FM95, and Game Maker potentially has a higher difficultly than either of these, then... but who am I to judge?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I'll update soon.

You could try learning C# and the XNA framework.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

You're never going to actually find a good anything maker. The better it looks or feels, the harder it is to understand and thus you might as well be working at a freaking game company.
    Making a decent game of any kind requires a lot of software and a lot of memory . . . and a lot of information most people don't have.
    If you can settle for barely-par or sub-par, then you're in luck. I wouldn't hold out hope for better.