Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dull story

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tjador View Post
    i think the story in finalfantasy 12 was lame maybe the 13 wil be better
    but 7 stills the best!!!! WOO go FF7!!!!!!!!!
    Good lord. I come back to the forums to find some interesting discussion, but I still find stuff like this. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm not going off one on now. If Renmiri feels like it, she can relay some stuff about what I think about the story. She better not pull any fast ones. :mog:

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

FFXIV Character

Nibb Omniseer (Leviathan)

ya thats kind ofstupid so technically u havent really payed attention to the game.....lol i got the special edition of ff12 for christmas from santa..
    Should I? SHOULD I?...... 11 years old, I see, I think I'll be a good boy.

It only makes sense that an 11 year old finds this story line boring.

Don't make me get my 2x4 Woodinator's Avatar

heh i was thinking the same thing seppuku :P

Although I didn't find it as interesting as other FF's (I really enjoyed IX's) , this one's storyline is pretty good when you think about it... I mean, most of the game is about Ashe's struggle to make a decision wether..(SPOILER)to reclaim her kingdom by force with nethicite, following the will of the "gods"...or to destroy the nethicite and defy the "gods" So yeah I though Ashe had quite a bit of a storyline there, as did balthier which was mentioned earlier. Thing I didn't like about it was how it seemed Penelo's only purpose was to tie Larsa into the story...that and the last boss was rediculously easy IMO

Oh and there are a couple quotes Vayne makes towards the end that I really like..

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The fact that it was political was part of the reason it interested me as much as it did. I found the story to be one of the more interesting in the series to be honest. I've always enjoyed kingdoms warring with each other and the internal politics of them (ala Final Fantasy IX).
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

^Thats probably a good reason as to why I enjoyed FFXII's storyline.

(And FFIX)

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

If you look at the number of plot points and the narrative progression in FFXII objectively it doesn't really lack anything that any of the other FF games had. A lot of people complain that the majority of the plot is confined to the last fifteen hours or so of the game but this has pretty much been the same for every FF games since FFVIII. FFXII's problem is that everything is way, way too drawn out thanks to the longer dungeons and more expansive environments. Bigger generally means better (See: Morrowind) but since JRPGs are very much plot centric and fans of the genre have been battered over the head with cinemas every five second for so long the added time between cutscnes just becomes a nuisance to most players and they start calling FFXII silly things like a dungeon crawler which is a ridiculous label for a game of this style but hey, 'RPG' is a ridiculous label for a game with no role playing and even those who are supposed to be the authorities on the subject use that definition so perhaps we can't blame them for being stupid.
    Last edited by Karellen; 09-27-2007 at 05:45 AM.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Well mature people have read thousands of BOOKS and watched hundreds of MOVIES (ever heard of them ?) with the same basic story of kingdoms warring between each other so we can also find the XII story extremely dull...

Try picking a book about the Roman Empire or The Three Musketeers at your local library. You will find out what a good political intrigue story looks like
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

exactly people so what if i think the storys boring im not the only one!
    Do u play rs(runescape)if u do pm me!!!

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

The story was awesome but lacked in one key area...political intrigue XD I liked what they put in there but they didn't get involved enough with everything for everything to really shine. What helped it to work was the involvement of those super being guys and the nethicite and stuff. Not completely original but the way in which they pulled if off was rather nice...or so I thought.

Another thing FFXII did that made it seem like less story is that they didn't focus on the obvious at all. Bathier was gonna teach van how to fly the ship...by the end of dungeon Van can fly the ship. They didn't have a cut scene or anything to show the training. It just happened and that is fine by me. Skip the super obvious :D

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Well mature people have read thousands of BOOKS and watched hundreds of MOVIES (ever heard of them ?) with the same basic story of kingdoms warring between each other so we can also find the XII story extremely dull...

Try picking a book about the Roman Empire or The Three Musketeers at your local library. You will find out what a good political intrigue story looks like
    Try looking at a few plot twists in some fiction books, and they'll be remarkably similar to FFX.

All games copy off books to some extent, because the supply of potential plot spoint is exhaustable.

EDIT: On the subject of original plotlines, try telling Shakespeare that.

The alternating view on FFXII's plot are very interesting.

IGN: Final Fantasy XII Review
    Final Fantasy XII (ps2: 2006): Reviews
    Last edited by Vivisteiner; 10-25-2007 at 10:56 PM.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

i think the story in finalfantasy 12 was lame maybe the 13 wil be better
    but 7 stills the best!!!! WOO go FF7!!!!!!!!!
    8. :magus:

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

political intrigues are usually pretty dull for most of the people who like video games. This would be something to let your dad play if he liked stories.

I loved the political aspect used in this game, it produced something entirely different from what you'd expect, and has been a repeatedly used factor in all Final Fantasy stories, just touched on more greatly in this particular game.

Far from a dull story.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Yeah, it was a good story, but I think it lacked that certain depth, because for the majority, it's in Vaan's PoV. Vaan is a little poor kid so he's dumb.

I don't find the story to be that dull.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.