Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody a fan of MMA or whatever?

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin Anybody a fan of MMA or whatever?

I'll preface this with some very old memories. About 15 or so years ago I was introduced to a Japanese 'sport' called Shootfighting (introduced as shoot wrestling) and was pretty impressed at what was understood at the time as 'not fake wrestling'.

A year or so later UFC 1 came out and I didn't watch it, but I did hear about it as being pretty amazing. I'm not sure what happened since, because I stopped caring, but had a silent want to view UFC fights. This finally happened recently (like very recently), but I had glimpsed some fights and some live shows from bars and the like.

So despite knowing about shootfighting and ufc since its inception I was not a 'fan' or a 'follower' like how I could say I was a fan and follower of WWF/E for 17+ years. Regardless, last night I managed to get a copy of UFC 1 : the beginning, and watched it, quickly realising a few things:

- 17 years ago nobody understood anything about mixed martial arts
    - 17 years ago mixed martial arts was a literal spectacle where people from different concentrated styles fought each other
    - 17 years ago people booed Ken Shamrock even when he won (lol)
    - Despite having 'no rules' except eye gouging, groin shots, and nail scratching, I would've done things a lot differently like break joints when I was put in a hold or played dirty in general...people still fought with a sense of honor, which I found odd in the face of what was billed as 'no holds barred'.

Anyway, if you have seen the original 10 UFCs or even have an interest in this sort of thing, are there any insights you can share?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Have you seen any recent UFC matches? The organization and MMA in general have come a long way since UFC 1 which was pretty laughable.

i find it boring because i'm not interested in submission fighting or wrestling.

Blog Entries

Grin

What do you like then, James?

Vivi: yes I have watched recent UFC -- I am making a comparison / contrast to the old days when they really had no idea what MMA is all about. I mean, they knew about shootfighting and other styles, so throwing different styled fighters in the ring is still comprehensible. The crowd however didn't know what was happening half the time because they didn't know anything about fighting (probably thinks like James jk).

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok, I just wasn't sure from your original post if you had seen more recent stuff or just UFC 1. I really like MMA now, though looking back at the old stuff it's tough to watch. Not just that the crowd and the commentators had no clue what was going on, but many of the fighters just weren't that good. They'd get wrecked by a lot of the guys fighting now.

There seems to be an abundance of great fighters these days who know their stuff and can hold their own in the ring which makes it great to watch. I also have to say that Quinton Jackson has got to be one of my favourite fighters right now. Not only is he a great fighter, but he gives the best interviews and post fight commentary. The man's hilarious. Still waiting for him to slam someone in the UFC though.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto View Post
    - Despite having 'no rules' except eye gouging, groin shots, and nail scratching, I would've done things a lot differently like break joints when I was put in a hold or played dirty in general...people still fought with a sense of honor, which I found odd in the face of what was billed as 'no holds barred'.
    I'm pretty sure that UFC rules prohibit manipulating joints or pressure points, too.

I've not seen a lot of UFC fights, only a few snippets - but it was interesting stuff. It's good to see how different disciplines get combined and adapted in that environment.

I watch it from time to time, but I'm not a huge follower of it. It's not really mixed martial arts by now cause everybody fights the same.

Er...it's called mixed martial arts because each fighter doesn't rely on just one martial art to achieve victory.

For instance, you could be the most amazing muay thai fighter, but if you competed in MMA all of that training becomes moot once the other guy does a double leg takedown, passes your guard, and pulls an armbar on you.

That's why old UFC matches are so laughable now. Why bother seeing which style would win when you can take the best aspects of both styles and creatively use both to wreck havoc?

That being said, I've really been into the UFC for around two years or so now. I used to be a boxing fan, but honestly it's been in a sorry state for a while now.
    What I've been listening to:

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

The only MMA I'm really into is the K-1 stuff, mostly because the stuff that allows takedowns and all that crap bores me immensely.

UFC doesnt prohibit anysort of joint manipulation... they just dont work so well agaisnt fighters so conditioned and could and would just blast out of someone trying to use a joint lock (wrist lock)..

Mainly used martial arts are, Muay THai, boxing, BJJ, Judo...

omg he used my real name!

i like kickboxing...i used to train in american kickboxing and then muay thai (although not as rigorous as real muay thai) but i never got to the point where i wanted to compete.

i like martial arts that have no grappling and not many throws; although those make it more like a 'real' fight, that might be the reason i don't like them.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    The only MMA I'm really into is the K-1 stuff, mostly because the stuff that allows takedowns and all that crap bores me immensely.
    You know, I see a lot of people say this, and when you're not familiar with the ground aspect of it first, it can be a bit boring. That said, after watching it for a while, and when you start to pick up on the finer aspects of the ground game it actually becomes more impressive if you ask me. You can be lucky and get a knockout head kick in, but you don't accidentally pass someone's guard and submit them. The skill and conditioning required for the ground game is the most impressive part if you ask me.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    You know, I see a lot of people say this, and when you're not familiar with the ground aspect of it first, it can be a bit boring. That said, after watching it for a while, and when you start to pick up on the finer aspects of the ground game it actually becomes more impressive if you ask me. You can be lucky and get a knockout head kick in, but you don't accidentally pass someone's guard and submit them. The skill and conditioning required for the ground game is the most impressive part if you ask me.
    It might help me more to learn to wrestle, but currently my view is (I studied a variant of Shotokan Karate -- Sh<b></b>ito-Ryu-Itosu-kai Karate for some 4-5 years) that I would be utterly destroyed by a wrestler.

Watching as many matches as I have, I have caught on some things to look out for to appreciate the grappling game, but I still don't understand it as much as I would, for example, be able to appreciate watching a karate tournament. Oh well.

Incidentally the crowd had no idea what was happening half the time. They would think that the person on the top is in a dominant position (and I suppose in the early days that would be correct), but in recent matches I actually see people resorting to laying down on the ground in order to force a grappling fight.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Brazilians and their Capoeira kick butt on UFC
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Someone becoming an extremely masterful Chess player is impressive, but the skill involved in it still doesn't make the concept of watching two people play chess any more appealing to me.