View Poll Results: Would you beat FF VIII, Tactics Ogre, Xenogears, or Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy VIII

12 32.43%
  • Tactics Ogre

1 2.70%
  • Xenogears

7 18.92%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

14 37.84%
  • Not sure, too close to call!

3 8.11%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you beat FF VIII, Tactics Ogre, Xenogears, or Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

Default Would you beat FF VIII, Tactics Ogre, Xenogears, or Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

I'm beating Final Fantasy XII, Alundra 1, and Mass Effect this fall. It was just announced that Lost Odyssey won't come out in the Usa till February 2008. Between Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey, I'd like to beat an ultimate older rpg that I haven't beaten before.

There are four rpg teams that I follow. One is the main Final Fantasy team. One is the team of Yasumi Matsuno(Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, etc). One is what I call the "cool team", for lack of a better phrase, which has made Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Xenosaga, and more. The fourth team is the team for The Legend of Zelda, including the Flagship developer who made some of the handheld titles.

Early next year in January I would like to beat a game from one of these four teams. For each of the teams, it should be the earliest game they have made that I haven't beaten, although if it's too old I may skip it. I plan to beat one of four games, although I am not yet sure which game/team it will be. I will form my own preference soon after researching them. I am curious as to the preferences of the forums. Here are my four options, which do you recommend that I beat between Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey?

Final Fantasy VIII
    -I may skip FF 1-3, I already beat FF 4-7
    Tactics Ogre
    -I already beat Ogre Battle
    Xenogears
    -I already beat Chrono Trigger, I may skip Radical Dreamers
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    -I may skip Zelda 1-2, I already beat Zelda 3-4
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Ocarina of Time, hands down. Don't worry about being lost on the continuity while playing OoT. Chronologically, it's the first game in generally accepted time line, so picking up there is easy enough (Zelda games all stand alone anyway).

FFVIII is a decent game. The plot, as far as I'm concerned, is atrocious, but the gameplay is pretty fun. I've not played the others.

Yeah, Ocarina of Time blows all of those other games so far out of the water it's not even funny. Unless you don't really care about gameplay and only play games for their story, in which case Xenogears is pretty neat.
    Last edited by Karellen; 09-13-2007 at 07:02 AM.

It isn't a RPG actually, but yeah, Ocarina of Time is better, and I LIKE FFVIII

I didn't mean to imply it was. Edited for clarity though.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

I liked Xenogears the best out of those, by far. Like, it would take at least five FFVIIIs to live up to Xenogears.

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

I've only played Ocarina of Time and FFVIII... I love them both, but I'd recommend OoT. This is purely to introduce you to the 3D Zelda games, which is a very worthwhile endeavor Afterwards Majora's Mask is a very different experience, and in my opinion a respectable follow up.

That said, these were revolutionary games a LONG time ago. If you don't think they'll impress you, FFVIII is one of my favourate FFs, and in my opinion has some of the best replay value. That said, its a very love it or hate it game.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

I haven't beaten any of them (i have only played FFVIII) but if i had to choose only one of them to play (and beat) i would have chosen FFVIII simply because it's a FF game and i want to beat them all eventually.
    If FFVIII wasn't on that list i would have easily chosen OoT.

Ocarina of Time; brilliant game.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Chronologically, it's the first game in generally accepted time line, so picking up there is easy enough (Zelda games all stand alone anyway).
    I thought that The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap was the first game in the Zelda time line...

Anyway, as for the topic: I'd probably say Final Fantasy VIII.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd probably say Xenogears myself, simply because I've never played it. In your case though, OoT is probably the better game, though I think it's overrated. Play it through once or twice, then never play it again.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFVII or Xenogears. My vote was for the former.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Xenogears has nekkidness and Citan.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    Chronologically, it's the first game in generally accepted time line, so picking up there is easy enough (Zelda games all stand alone anyway).
    I thought that The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap was the first game in the Zelda time line...

As I never played The Minish Cap, I wouldn't honestly know, but the timeline I saw after the release of Twilight Princess (finally showing the alternate timelines that spark from OoT) still had OoT at the beginning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post

As I never played The Minish Cap, I wouldn't honestly know, but the timeline I saw after the release of Twilight Princess (finally showing the alternate timelines that spark from OoT) still had OoT at the beginning.
    I'm fairly sure that the most recent game to be officially announced as first is Four Swords, the game that came with the re-release of A Link to the Past. However, Minish Cap generally does set itself up to be a precursor to Four Swords, so it is widely accepted as the first time-line wise.