Thread: Overprotective Parents

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Tongue Overprotective Parents

So who are the unfortunate ones around here?

Things could be worse for me...I mean, I can't do anything at night and my parents have to know exactly where I am, what I'm doing, and how long I'll be doing it when I'm outside the house. The only real problem is the internet...they think because I'm younger than them I'm less knowledgeable about computers and things, and because they don't know much to begin with...

ANYWAYS, I make this thread because I got my check from EoFF in teh mail, and after my dad had me explain what it was, he was lyke OMGWTFBBQ JESSICA UR GONNA GET RAPED BY SUM PERV

...he calmed down a bit after I told him that I've been going here for at least two years and no one has been raped (or scammed) after giving their address to Loony BoB so far.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

My parents were never hardcore about curfews and things. They had them and they enforced them but they never went overboard, in my opinion. Later on, when I was turned 16, I just went out whenever and I wouldn't say they didn't care but they never raised a big stink over it.

On the other hand... Man, I had some hellacious groundings over grades. If school was in and I wasn't 16 years old yet, you could pretty much bet I was stuck at home.

Ha..I'm living at home while going to college, and at 22 my parents are still overprotective. The other night I went to a friend's house and was told to be home by midnight, that it was my "curfew". Ooh Parents! They also assume since I'm a girl that anytime I go outside alone I'm going to be raped....so see my parents are the model of overprotective!

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know exactly how that goes... xD

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

When I met people from EoFF for the first few times, they were too worried about it all, thanks to wonderful sensationalist journalism forcing the "everyone on the internet except your child is a paedophile" belief upon them. Now that I've done it countless times without receiving forced anal penetration (shut up Baloki, I consented), they don't give a crap about such things.

As for general overprotectiveness, well, I don't think they're terrible about it, but they still take it too far for a 20 year old male.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My parents weren't that overprotective of me when I was younger. Ever since I started college, the overprotectiveness has, like, tripled. It's really nuts. My unofficial curfew in High School was 12 AM, although my parents never really minded me staying out later as long as I called to let them know. A couple months ago, I was at my parent's home for the weekend, and I went out with friends and came back at 11PM and my Mom was waiting by door and completely flipped out on me.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?!?!"
    "uh... it's 11. What's your problem?"
    "WHAT WERE YOU DOING OUT SO LATE?!?!?"
    "OH MY GOD, 11 O'CLOCK IS NOT LATE! CALM DOWN YOU CRAZY WOMAN!"

Yeah. It was a big fight, and I still don't know why she got so upset.

Nowadays, they're always calling to see where I am, who I'm with, what I'm doing. It gets me unbelievably mad.

I think the fact that I'm becoming an adult and moving away from them, they're latching on to me in a way they've never done before. It's really not cool. It's like they're digging in their claws and refusing to let go.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

my parents are pretty lenient actually. I mean I always had more hangups over info on the internet when I was younger than they did xD of course that might be different now, but probably not to where they have more than me!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm an only child, so yeah. It's not so bad. I've adjusted to it as well, so I barely notice. Except for the fact that I'm not allowed to take the bus home from work when I close (which is 9pm), even though it's only a 5 minute bus ride. That and I am constantly reminded "bring your phone and keys"

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Yeah. In some cases, overprotective parents are just ignorant parents. My mother takes news specials on internet predators as gospel; she monitors everything that dad does. I'm glad that both of them stopped threatening to cancel our internet service and ban me from my computer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah
    Ha..I'm living at home while going to college, and at 22 my parents are still overprotective. The other night I went to a friend's house and was told to be home by midnight, that it was my "curfew". Ooh Parents! They also assume since I'm a girl that anytime I go outside alone I'm going to be raped....so see my parents are the model of overprotective!
    Don't shave your legs! =O

No, my parents aren't over protective. I still got bad luck, my mom is the kind that wants my life to go one way and she will disown me if I don't do exactly what she has planned out in her head. She's also the kind that would still love me if I killed a man but not if I started smoking.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My dad has always been the complete opposite of overprotective. Well, that would be neglectful and he wasn't neglectful. He was the right amount of protective. He wants to know what I'll be up to on the weekends from time to time, and he wants to know what's happening in my life but that's more because he's just interested. The only time he was the slightest bit overbearing was when I wanted to take a bus to see friends from out of town when I was 17 or so. I freaked out about it, but I realize now that it was probably a good thing. I hadn't really experienced a crazy person on my own before, so I would've probably just shut down completely if there was a crazy on the bus.

Jess, I figure if you'd told your dad that you were contributing to the site he probably wouldn't have minded so much.

Signature by rubah. I think.

My parents suffocate me, sometimes (metaphorically). They do it, of course because I'll "get raped", because they only want what's best for me, and because it's their duty. But really The list of horrors is too long to explain.
    Last edited by Resha; 09-15-2007 at 02:30 PM.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Ofcourse, my parents have gievn me the whole be carfeul on the internet speech hints my location.

But my parents are cool, as long as I call to tell them I'm alrigth they let me stay out late do whatever. Mainly becuase they trust me and have good reason to. But just last week I didn't call home and I cam back late and they were all freaked out at least they didn't call the cops or ground me so it's all good.

But seriously, having parents sufficate you isn't such a bad thing. It just means they worry about you. Parents can be much worse my parents are cool so I'm alright but I've seen friends with the exact opposite problem and it's sad.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    Jess, I figure if you'd told your dad that you were contributing to the site he probably wouldn't have minded so much.
    I told him

He assumes I'm going to go OOH? A FREE iPOD? ALL I GOTTA DO IS VOTE ON WHETHER PARIS HILTON SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN JAIL? YEAH!

I explained to him that I'd been going here for long enough now and he backed off XD

It was kinda funny

...but yeah, things could be lots lots worse, or I could even have parents that don't care at all, so I'm a little grateful for that XD

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

To an extent.