Thread: Help, please?

Future Evil Overlord Innocent Dimande's Avatar

Default Help, please?

Okay, I just started FF1 on Saturday and died that very same day without even getting to the first boss. Anyone have some advice?
    I have not lost my mind! It's...backed up on a disk somewhere...

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

Level up. Level up like hell... Well, just level up. Fight some enemies before fighting the boss.

Equip weapons and armor

Buy spells

Use spells

This game has a steeper curve than it's later brothers.

Put Fighter in the 1st spot(used to help more, think it still helps some)

Fighter = not killable mostly

Use Fighter

Did I mention Fighter?

And leveling up is a good thing. There are basically two extremes to how ready you are for a dungeon.. there is the low levelist, run from every encounter, and get to the boss, then get out..

Then there is the kill everything along the way and still beat the boss.

Depending on which you are going for, the two level sets vary a bit. You might can "beat" dungeon X at level 5... but in order to be comfortable there and fight every battle, you need to be level 8.

dungeon X isn't really a dungeon, just an example.

Because of the lower magic charges and limited healing items of the earlier versions(PS1 normal and NES), many were not fond of killing everything, but merely escaping as much as possible.

Well, at least you didn't say you died while fighting the first boss. Because in all the history of people playing FF, I don't think that's ever happened.

Anyway, this game has one and only one solution to advancing when the going gets tough: level up. Gain 2-3 levels and try again. Still can't do it? Gain 2-3 more, then try again. etc. Eventually you'll get through anything.

And since I don't want to assume anything is too obvious, it's a good idea to equip your party and all that, too.

Future Evil Overlord Innocent Dimande's Avatar

Okay, thanks for the advice.
    Around what level would you say Temple of Chaos would be a piece of cake? I went in there at level 4, the strategy guide said level 3 should do the trick.
    I have not lost my mind! It's...backed up on a disk somewhere...

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

Party?
    Again it depends if you want to fight in there, or you want to just kill the boss and get out.

boss/get out = 2 or 3 with a good chance of success if its a good party with equipment/spells.

Fight for extended periods = maybe 4-6